Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Kayla Robinson Williams Interview



Photo Credits:
Photos 1-3 Picture Groove Photography
Photos 4-5: NPC News Online/Dan Mueller



As soon as I first saw Kayla Robinson Williams on stage, I immediately knew I wanted an interview with her. I was shocked to find out she had just starting competing, as she seemed a natural, great physique, great stage presence, and all the other things that go along with that. I was even more shocked to find out that the physique I was so impressed with belonged to the mother of five. Kayla is a very inspiring and motivating woman with all the potential in the world to have a bright future on stage.

Q: Can you talk about how you got started in the gym?
A: When I met my husband was already a bodybuilder and personal trainer. I was really intimidated by the gym so he kinda got me into the gym and working out and I really fell in love with it. Then having kids- I have five kids- I kind of got out of it. I always wanted to get back into it so I had my fifth kid and couldn't wait to get started. It was two years ago and I have been going crazy since.

Q: What made you decide to try competing?
A: At first I wasn't too sure I wanted to because I was a little intimidated and I don't know if I have a lot of confidence, especially on stage. But the more I got into the sport and meeting people who were competing, it kind of rubbed off on me and I really wanted to compete. I have never been a competitive person so this is my first competitive sport.

Q: Right before you went on stage the first time, were you nervous?
A: I was actually really calm. Even the people backstage lining us up, they had had a break right before we went on stage and they were like "sorry, it's gonna be a little bit", and I was like "whatever", trying to not mentally freak myself out because I knew soon as I got on stage the adrenaline was gonna kick and I didn't wanna already be freaked out before I went on. My way of trying to keep myself focused is to not even try and assume what will happen, just know that I did what I needed to do and let things happen. So I was pretty calm.

Q: A lot of people I interview say that after the first show, competing becomes almost addicting, was that the case with you?
A: Definitely! I did two shows in a row, the Upper Midwest in North Dakota and then the Jay Cutler the following weekend. The second show was definitely better than the first one. I am so glad I did it because I wasn't sure I was gonna. After the first one, it was like "that wasn't as hard as I thought, it was fun." When I did the Jay Cutler my stage presence had improved because I wasn't as freaked out as the first time.

Q: Is there something specific that makes it addicting to you?
A: I really like the posing routine although it freaked me out quite a bit. Now all I think about is what song I wanna use, what moves I can do. When I am on stage I only think about what I am doing, I don't look at the other competitors, I love the posing, I want to make sure I put my best out there.

Q: Talking about the Cutler, how happy were you with what you brought to the stage?
A: I was really happy with my physique. There are a lot of things I still need more time to build up. The judges gave me feedback, I need certain body parts to be bigger, but that just takes time. Overall I felt the work I put in , I was better conditioned than a lot of girls up there and I knew I did the work. My body fat was in a good spot, on stage I looked good. I need more size in some areas.

Q: You gotta be happy with second place but does part of you walking away wondering what you gotta do to get first?
A: Oh yeah! That was the whole question all weekend. We were in the line-up and they moved me out of the first place spot. I knew I wasn't gonna get first place so immediately I wondered what they were looking for in her that I don't have and how I can improve. My trainer was there and he was able to see the comparisons so I got feedback from him. I am not a sore loser, all I can look at is what the judges are looking for and what I have to bring next time. I would have liked first but it is a learning experience.

Q: How hard is it to balance prep with being a mom?
A: Prep was pretty difficult. When I got deep into prep I was doing four or five hours of gym time, I had to do two hours of cardio, and my workout and because I have older skin, the sauna to get my skin to tighten up. So it was a lot of time and that doesn't include posing. It was hard. I have three in school and two out of school. My husband was a huge support. He bodybuilds to and there were times he gave up his workouts to help get mine in. My kids were wonderful. Weren't always happy to go to kids club but they understood and we had a celebration afterwords.

Q: Do you know when you want to compete next?
A: We were looking at shows. I just had my knee scoped because I had a bone spur. If everything goes well and I can get right back at it, I am hoping for Nationals in November. I want it to be this year but if my knee holds my back, I have to wait. I don't wanna go on stage unprepared, especially for Nationals.

Q: Is there a specific area you most want to improve for next time?
A: Definitely my smile. I had a hard time smiling. Between nerves and my braces, it is hard to smile when you are dehydrated. I need a more charismatic personality on stage. The posing I felt comfortable with. I messed up on a couple mandatory's, but besides that it was great.

Q: When you are in the gym, do you get the stares or attention from people?
A: Yeah, I often do. I am always with my husband so I don't feel like I ever have anything negative happen with other guys. I get a lot of women asking me questions. One gym I got to is a family gym and I get lots of questions and people asking how to do something. I feel good about it. My family wasn't too accepting at first but for the most part it is positive and they are asking what I am doing.

Q: When you go out in public, do you cover up and avoid attention, or more proud and showing it off?
A: I don't try to show off. Most of the time it is a t-shirt. I don't try and create attention for myself. I am not a makeup wearer. I don't try and prissy up all the time. I can, I like to, I have nice heels, but on average my daily wear is sweats and a t-shirt.

Q: Long-term is the pro card a goal or more if it happens it happens?
A: At first I wasn't sure because of the time it takes to do that. I thought being a pro would be a hundred percent all the time type of deal. After doing this prep and realizing all it takes is some preparation to get to that point, I realize I can definitely do it. I wanna keep my kids in mind and not put them second. It is something I am hoping when I do the National show, that would be my goal.

Q: If you could spend a day training with someone you have never trained with before, who would it be?
A: I really like following Mikaila Soto. She is a pro. She is amazing. She has two kids of her own, she looks so young and takes great care of herself. She has had health issues and never let it come between her and her goal. I met her a couple times and follow her. I really like what she does.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: Definitely my husband. He has been my number one fan and helped me through the whole process. He helps motivate me when I don't feel a hundred percent. My trainer Jeff Davenport. I started with him in September and my body was a mess. There were issues with things and people would say I cant win anything. He took me from that to where I was in March, an amazing transformation. My friend and nutritionist Louie Nasta for getting me prepared. I have had so much support with my family, husband and coach. My coach's team is PT 52. It has been an amazing experience.

1 comment:

  1. Gotta say. Women with muscle... Sexy, sexy sexy!!! Not to mention Kayla has 5 kids! What an inspiration! Simply Amazing!

    ReplyDelete