Sunday, May 5, 2013

IFPA Pro Candice Scott Interview



Photo Credits:
Photo 1: Hammer Bells
Photo 2: Tre' Lynn
Photos 3-5: RX Muscle/Dave McIntosh



I became aware of Candice Scott upon seeing her photos after she won the overall at the Max Muscle contest. That was her warm-up show for the show she just did, her IFPA pro debut, in which she took second place. Very impressive for a pro debut. Rarely have a seen someone seem to be having so much fun on stage, as she brings a great stage presence to go along with an incredible physique.

Q: Can you talk about how you got started in the gym?
A: I have always been an athlete. I ran track in high school and in college I didn't really do much. After college I was like "I like working out, I like looking good", so I started lifting. Not seriously, but just to look good. I played football, full contact, semi-pro football, and that required me to be in the gym as well. One day I decided that I wanted to compete because people always said "you have the physique for it, why don't you do it?" One day I decided to take that off my bucket list and took everything in the gym seriously, including my diet. Before that I would workout and eat whatever I want and look like I competed. I have pretty good genetics. Working out for me is a lifestyle, I don't feel like not going to the gym.

Q: Where you nervous the first time?
A: I was completely nervous. It is putting yourself out there to be judged by people who don't necessarily know you.

Q: A lot of people I interview say that after the first show it becomes addicting,w as that the case with you?
A: Yes, it is. I originally said I wasn't gonna do another show, was gonna do that one show and get it off my bucket list. My first show was October of 2010 and my second was February of 2011.

Q: You started in figure, why did you switch to bodybuilding?
A: I actually never wanted to do figure. I only did figure because my first trainer told me I couldn't do bodybuilding. He said my legs would never get to where I needed to be to do bodybuilding.

Q: When you made the switch did you change anything about your training?
A: I kept doing what I was doing, just heavier.

Q: When I first saw you was when you won your class and overall at the max Muscle. There were so few girls, as a bodybuilder, does it upset you to see so few do bodybuilding?
A: Yes! I'm not discouraging figure, because I think figure is hard. I think there are two trains of thought. I think some women think female bodybuilders are gonna look like men and I think the other route is people want to workout but don't want to workout as hard as a bodybuilder.

Q: You just did your first pro show yesterday and took second place, how happy were you?
A: I'm very happy because I heard the placement between first and second was very hard. It wasn't a blow-away.

Q: How happy were you with what you brought to the stage?
A: I was very happy.

Q: One thing I noticed is when you are on stage, I rarely see people look as happy as you, is that you being you or just trying to portray?
A: That would be me. For me, I feel like all the hard work that I put in the few months prior to being on stage that I should be happy and enjoy the time on stage because there is so little of it, a small time frame.

Q: Judges really notice that, for people who may not follow as closely, can you explain how important stuff like that is?
A: I think it is very important. I think judges generally do look at that and take that into consideration. All in all, it is a business and they want to be entertained. When you put a little personality in it, it makes you stand apart from everyone else.

Q: How many shows did it take for you to be able to present that or was it natural?
A: I would say it took about three shows.

Q: Do you know when you will compete next?
A: At Nationals in October.

Q: For nationals, is there somewhere specific you need to be better?
A: My legs. My legs are my weak area for sure. They have improved tenfold but they can always get better and that is my goal.

Q: Nationals being such a big show, do you expect to maybe be more nervous?
A: Yes, I do expect to be nervous. I was completely nervous yesterday. The thing is, I have won these other shows overall, I won three shows overall, so I am used to winning. That is why I don't post photos on Facebook, I don't want the pressure of people knowing and asking questions.

Q: When you are in the gym, do you get the stares or attention from people?
A: Yes! I tend to cover up in the winter time and in the summer it gets really aggravating because I get stupid questions from people and then I come off sounding bad. People ask "do you workout?" Obviously I workout because who walks around like this?

Q: Is it hard to not go off on someone sometimes?
A: I tend to ignore people and it makes me look like I'm not a nice person.

Q: When you go out in public are you more cover up and avoid attention or show it off sometimes?
A: I tend to cover up until summer. In the summer I cant cover up.

Q: Long term, you have the IFPA pro card and are doing Nationals, is an IFBB pro card a goal?
A: My goal was never to be an IFBB pro because I feel with IFBB I would have to take some type of illegal substance to get the size to be an IFBB pro in bodybuilding. I don't think that is the case in figure or bikini. My goal is not necessarily to be an IFBB pro, it is more the IFPA. I did Max Muscle as practice for the show yesterday. I had no goal in that show to win or even place.

Q: If you could spend a day training with anyone, who would it be?
A: I have actually had the opportunity to train with Kai Greene before and I would have to say I would train with him again.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: I would like to thank my best friend Kathleen. She has supported me from day one and has tried to make it to every show, wherever it is. Bodybuilding is such a weird sport, not many people understand it and why you do it so for someone to support you and not totally understand everything you are doing is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment