Friday, January 25, 2013

Kimberly Gordon Interview



Photo Credits:
Photos 2-3: Thomas Gaughan Photography
Photos 4-5: RX Muscle




Kimberly Gordon is one of those few people who I see one photo, do not know her, but immediately I know I have to ask her for an interview. I was so impressed by what I saw. She is relatively new to competing, but is someone I see really making waves and accomplishing a great deal in the sport.

Q: Can you talk about how you got started in the gym?
A: I pretty much started weight training in high school. It was something we did in the off-season for volleyball. In the off-season they tried to make sure you were still working out. It wasn't anything crazy, for the most part just your typical weight training routine. There was no powerlifting, just teaching you the basics of how to lift weights.

Q: Was there something specific about it that appealed to you?
A: I would say one of my favorite things was the fact that I have always been on a team where I have always been the smallest girl, especially for volleyball, I am surrounded by all these girls who are 5'10' or taller, I am 5'6 1/2". So what was awesome to me and kept me motivated is that even though I was the smallest girl on the team, I was usually lifting as much weight as everyone else or more. I was extremely strong and powerful for my size.


Q: What made you want to compete?
A: After college, I have always been competitive, I went to a kickboxing gym because I wanted some sort of exercise. A lady that worked at the gym approached me and told me I had a great physique for competition. Her name is Jocelyn Baum and she was an NPC figure competitor. I had talked with her and she showed me her pictures. I had been reading Oxygen Magazine here and there and seeing pictures of women who competed and always wanted to get into it but didn't know how. So when she told me I had good muscle tone and a good physique it made me excited and I trained with her and it went from there.

Q: Why bikini?
A: In the beginning I wanted to do figure. I had trained with her for a few months and was getting lean. She told me she "I have never trained a girl for a competition and would feel more comfortable referring you to my trainer", who was Kim Oddo. Within five minutes of meeting him he told me my frame was too small for figure and that I would be more successful in bikini. I actually agreed, I have a hard time putting muscle mass on my body and bikini matches my body much better.

Q: A lot of people hear bikini and think T&A, did you have to explain to people it was fitness and not some bikini show?
A: Definitely! When you tell people "I compete in bikini" they think "is this a Hooters bikini contest?" I don't know what it is, when you say bikini competition, people don't understand it has anything to do with bodybuilding or fitness. Anyone I tell I am bikini competitor I have to explain the entire thing to them.


Q: Were you nervous the first time?
A: I definitely had a lot of anxiety going into it. The night before you go to check-ins and see all the girls you are competing against and that pushed my anxiety to an all-time high. It is like "am I small enough, am I coming in tight enough?" And I had never done a show so I didn't know what to expect. The day of the competition, I competed with a girl I had met and she talked me through the whole thing and calmed my nerves. I walked on stage and forgot all about it and had so much fun. I remember walking off stage and telling her it was more fun that I thought it would be.

Q: A lot of people I interview say that after the first show it becomes like an addiction for them, was that the case for you?
A: Right after it I was definitely amped to do more. I guess I would kind of agree with that. I placed second and was so amped to keep going. It made me feel good that all the hard worked paid off. It was a real exciting moment.

Q: In June you took second at the West Coast Classic, how satisfied were you with that?
A: It is funny that you ask. That show was difficult to do. My training and everything was great, I felt really good about how my body looked. I had put on a substantial amount of muscle which I was really proud about because I have a hard time putting muscle on. Three days before the competition, my boyfriend had a seizure and we found he had a mass in his brain. I had the hardest time getting my head in the game. He was in the hospital for an entire week. He said he wanted me to do the competition so I did. My anxiety, everything was just through the roof. I couldn't enjoy myself because I had so much on my mind. Even though I am more than happy with how I placed, right when I walked on stage, I was ten times more nervous than the first show. I remember feeling like I completely forgot what I needed to do, my mind wasn't there.


Q: That makes it more impressive that from photos, you looked incredibly confident, knowing the answer to the last question, do you look at pictures and say "how did I pull that off?"
A: Honestly, yes! I think about it now and even friends ask how I did that show. The week before a contest, with your hormones, you are all over the place. I joke with my friends and tell them that is when my crazy comes out. You are stressed and nerves are all over the place. I felt so uneasy at that show. When I looked at pictures I think "man, I have a major bitch face in some but in others I look like I am having fun." I was so proud that I did it, it was a goal, I may not have had the best experience but it was a surreal experience.

Q: Do you know when you want to compete next?
A: I am planning to do the March 23rd Governor's Cup. Then I am planning on hitting the national stage this year. Probably one or two more, I just haven't picked out all the National shows.

Q: From the last show, where do you need to be better for the next one?
A: The judges, and I agree, say it is to tighten my hamstrings and glutes. In my opinion my glutes looked way better for my second show because I added more muscle there. I definitely know my hamstrings are my lagging body part. It is the hardest muscle for me to build and tone. I am focusing on that for this show.

Q: Would you ever consider figure?
A: I wouldn't rule it out. I would love to do figure, it is awesome. I would have to find a coach, I wouldn't know where to start. I have a hard time putting muscle on so I would have to find someone that could focus on getting me to that point. I wouldn't rule it out.

Q: When you are in the gym, do you get a lot of attention or stares?
A: When I first started I did. I don't mind people starring, cause for the most part it is "wow, she trains hard" and I am o.k. with that. It is motivating. You have the occasional guy interrupt with a cheesy pick-up line, which is not my thing. I have been at the same gym for two years so I know most of the people and they know I am there to train. For the most part people don't bother me. But you do get the newbees who come up and say "I am sorry to interrupt but...." I find that so annoying.

Q: If you could spend one day training with any person you never trained with, who would it be?
A: Dana Linn Bailey. Dana is so awesome. Her and her husband are hilarious. She posts the most gnarly workout videos. You know she would kick your ass and I love that.


Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: My boyfriend Joe has always supported me and been here for me. Before every competition when I get a little crazy, he is understanding and supporting and by my side. He is very proud of me. I love knowing my being active in fitness helps him be healthy and active as well. My business partner Natasha who is also a competitor. My last show, she was there for me every day. She has been nothing short of amazing and I am blessed to have her in my life. Also, Tiffany Gaughan, she is the girl who kept me calm the first show. She is so great about complimenting you. I can always go to her for advice and she has the perfect thing to say. A really amazing friend. Her and Natasha are so great to me.

1 comment:

  1. I'll bet you can't guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and excessive fat.

    If this "hidden" highly powerful primal muscle is healthy, you are healthy.

    ReplyDelete