Tuesday, December 27, 2011

WBFF Pro Sharon Polsky Interview








Q: First, Sharon, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A; My name is Sharon Polsky and I was born in raised in Long Beach California. I have been an athlete all of my life, including nationally ranked swimmer and equestrian; and a classically trained dancer. I also spent most of my young life running away from 2 older brothers that loved to pick on me, as most brothers do. So I guess you can say I am a triple threat; swimmer, dancer and runner (by necessity)

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: When I was 14 I started working out in the gym with my 2 older brothers, cause of course everything they did I wanted to do as well. Then when I was 16 I taught my first step aerobics class and although I was a terrible instructor at that time, I was hooked and never looked back.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Training was never easy for me, in fact to this day I have to work harder then anybody else for the very small gains that I get; but I think that is what I love about the challenge of it.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: Well, the reason I decided to compete for the first time was actually to promote my business. I started competing in fitness routines with the Ms. Fitness Organization (which no longer exists) and I was the first person to introduce a Pole Acrobatics routine as my fitness routine. At the time I owned a Pole Acrobatic studio and really wanted to change the perception of pole and show people that it was fitness and not something trashy. Well I accomplished that and then some. With that Pole Acrobatic routine I was Ms. Fitness Southern California multiple times and ranked 5th in the U.S. and 10th in the World. Now I don't compete in fitness routines anymore but still love it.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: My family and friends will never support me competing not because they don't want to but because they just don't understand it. They don't understand why I eat the way I do or exercise the way I do; but I am lucky because they don't undermine my goals either. My family and friends are all very goal oriented so they will never try to derail mine.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: Actually competing was what I expected and then some. It is the most amazing sisterhood I have ever experienced in my life. I have met life long friends in this industry.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: 2011 Rankings:
*WBFF - Fitness Atlantic. Fitness Model Masters - Champion
(Ms. Fitness USA and Worlds Postponed for 2011)
*WBFF - Central US Championships - Awarded Pro Card
*WBFF - World Championships - Awarded the Monica Brant Award
2010 Rankings:
*Ms. Fitness USA Finals - 2010/2011 - 6th Place
*Fitness America - Southern California - 2010 - Champion Open Fitness
2009 Rankings:
*Ms. Fitness USA Finals - 2009/2010 - 5th Place
*Ms. Fitness World Finals - 2009/2010 - 10th Place
*Ms. Fitness Southern California - Champion
2008 Rankings:
*Fitness America Finals - Classic - 2008 - Champion
*Bikini America - Southern California - 2008 Champion Classic Bikini
*Fitness America - Southern California - 2008 - Champion Open Fitness

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: My abs, back and triceps are by far my best and most naturally muscular body parts.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: I love training legs because those are the ones that I have changed the most.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I actually train hard and eat clean year round, so I don't really take an off season like most competitors. I start my competition prep about 12 weeks out from my first show and then the cutting is cumulative for the rest of the show and I really use diet limitations and functional training for that.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Many times it is negative. They think I compete because I want people to look at me but I don't its because I want to inspire people.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I am most sick of people saying to me, "oooh I want a body like that". I used to tell people how they can achieve it and then they would say "OMG I had no idea everything you have to do to get this".

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: People say to me all the time that I must have great genetics. I have horrible genetics, minimal muscle memory and a rare neurological condition; so this is achieved by hard work, dedication and a healthy diet.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: Worse part about training is the time that it takes to get what I want but it is well worth it.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I am actually an old school bodybuilding fan.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Chips and Salsa with Margaritas

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: You have to get a reputable coach, not a trainer. There is so much more that goes into competing then just working out and diet.

Q: Do you think its becoming more common for women to use the weights as opposed to just doing cardio and things?
A: Nope not for the mainstream population. Go walk into any health club in January and you will see women on cardio and men in the weight room.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love doing anything outdoors; skiing, rockclimbing, hiking, boating...

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Sharon Polsky.
A: I get up at 6 am every morning and eat a great breakfast, I go to my fitness studio and work most of the day with clients. I do get some time in their for a workout and a couple of meals, and then I am back home from work at 7 pm for a couple more meals. I love what I do so I wouldn't have this any other way

Q: Describe Sharon Polsky in five words.
A: Fun, Feisty, Cute, Sexy, Loyal, Dedicated

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I am a professional acrobat and still perform in nightclubs, events and parties all over the world.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I will continue to compete with the WBFF as a Pro Diva Fitness Model

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: You can visit me any time at www.sharonpolsky.com or please find me on Facebook and send me a friend request I really like to interact with people.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Sharon Polsky the athlete and competitor?
A: I really need sponsors to help me get to World Championships and the European Championships this year so please email me at sharonpolsky@gmail.com. You will not be disappointed.

Q: Sharon, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment