Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Laura London Interview


Two things popped into my head the first time I saw Laura London. First, I have a new addition to my favorite physiques in the sport. Laura has an incredible physique, highlight by amazing abs and great arms. The second thing was, "How is this woman qualified to compete in the Masters Division?" With her combination of beauty, physique and attitude, Laura London is an example of what is great about the Fitness industry.







Q: First, Laura, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you so much for having me do this interview. I am very excited to share my transformation journey with everyone.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am from Connecticut, a country girl at heart. I have been calling sunny Florida my home for the past 12 years. I have been married to my husband and best friend for 19 years and we have three children ages 17, 13 and 11.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: People always assume that I was very athletic. But it is just the opposite, growing up I did not play any sports. My brother was a hemophilliac so sports were not something we did in my family. We didn’t even watch them on TV.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: It was about the time my third child was almost two. I was greenery shopping one day and picked up a magazine full of before and after transformations in it. I was hooked, I wanted to look like those people in the magazine. I joined a gym read everything about training and nutrition. I kept a journal and wrote down my training and meals each day. I wrote down my goals, kept a calendar on the fridge and crossed off every day so I have a visual of how I was progressing. I also posted motivational pictures all over the house.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Turns out that I was athletic after all! I loved exercising and feeling my body changing and getting stronger. I started with a long T shirt on and slowly it got shorter and shorter until I was wearing sports bras and showing my abs. It took me about 4 months of 100% dedication, clean eating and sheer determination. People kept asking me what I was doing, they were amazed.


Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I trainer at my gym who was an IFBB Fitness pro took me under her wing, trained me and taught me all about competing and posing. After my first show I was hooked.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: My friends and family have been extremely supportive. They know this is my “thing”. They come to every show and cheer me on. My husband is always there helping me with my food and taking photos and video. I could not do it without him and the support of my children. One of my girlfriends even made one of my posing suits! Now that is what I call super supportive!

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: Competing is really a lot of fun. All the hard work, dieting and practice is worth it all. Getting on stage is your time to shine. Even though I have competed many times I still get nervous before going on stage. But once you walk out all the nervousness disappears.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*2011- Arnold Amateur
*2010- NPC North American- 11th Place Masters Figure, 16th Place Open Figure
*2010- NPC Junior Nationals- 13th Place Open Figure
*2010- NPC Anna Level- 3rd Place Open Figure, 4th Place Masters Figure
*2010- NPC Diamond Classic- 1st Place Masters Figure, 2nd Place Open Figure
*2010- NPC Europa Orlando- 1st Place Masters Figure, 2nd Place Cover Model Contest, 4th Place Open Figure
*2010- NPC Sunshine/CJ Classic- 1st Place Open Figure, 1st Place Masters Figure
*20098 NPC Gold Cup Classic- 3rd Place Open Figure


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I would have to choose between my biceps and my abs :-)

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: My favorite body part to train are my biceps. Bicep curls and hammer curls are my favorite exercises. I love seeing the muscles pop out and feeling strong makes me feel confident.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A:
I split my training
*Mondays- Biceps & Triceps
*Tues- Legs
*Wed- Cardio & Abs
*Thurs- Back & Shoulder
*Fri- Chest & Abs
*Sun- Lagging body part & Cardio
My diet consists of fruits, veggies and lean meats, fish and eggs. I keep it pretty simple. I stay far away from salt. Before a contest I will deplete my carbs in the last week, depending on how my body is looking. I eat clean year round to keep in photo ready and competition shape.


Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: The comments are always very positive. People usually comment on my arms and ask me how often I work out. They are impressed to learn I am in my mid forties and have three children.. Then they will start asking me for all sorts of fitness advice. I really enjoy sharing my knowledge with them.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: The one comment I always get asked is how much protein do I eat. I find this is the most asked question.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: It is very hard for women to get huge and put on muscle like a man. I train very hard and still have lots of feminine curves. Figure is about being healthy and athletic. I encourage women to lift heavier than they do and see the amazing results. Those little pink weights are not going to give you the “tone” you are looking for.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: I really don’t enjoy leg day. I have to really psych myself up and get my energy going, once I do I am fine. I would much rather train my upper body. The diet is fine because I eat when I am hungry and I eat real food. I switch it up a little before a competition.


Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: There are a lot of competitors that I admire. I am a big fan of Jennifer Nicole Lee. She is a weight loss success story, mother, wife and competitor. There are so many wonderful competitors who I admire Alicia Marie, Brandy Leaver, Laura Mac, Jenny Worth, Jenny Lynn and so many more, too many to name.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: My favorite cheat foods are pizza and chocolate. A girl can not live without chocolate!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: I would tell her she is making a great investment in herself! Then I would advise her to set realistic goal, plan out her meals and talk to people who have accomplished what she wants to do. Trainers and competitors are always happy to help motivate and encourage people to reach their goals and dreams.

Q: Is fitness modeling something that interests you?
A: I love fitness modeling, you really get to show off your hard work, meet interesting people and have a great time. At the age of 44 I am now an internationally published fitness model. I am in the April 2011 Issue of Planet Muscle Magazine.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Laura London.
A: Wake up at six, do three loads of laundry, wake up 3 kids, make 3 lunches, get kids to school, train at the gym, shower, errands,walk the dogs, run my business LauraLondonFitness.com, pick up kids, homework/aftershool activities, cardio, dinner and finally sometime with my hubby and then sleep!

Q: Describe Laura London in five words.
A: Having the time of her life!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I was studying to be a sign language interpreter.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I have many plans for the future. I will continue my fitness modeling and to compete this year toward earning my pro card. I am writing a fitness E-Book, working on a series of exercise DVD’s and another healthy eating recipe CD and a new fitness challenge web site coming soon!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I just came back from San Diego filming in Jennifer Nicole Lee’s global infomercial and 12 series exercise DVD’s. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget.
You can visit me on my web site LauraLondonFitness.com, read my blog, shop in my store and even order my official “Exercise Your Right to be Sexy” tank top or healthy eating recipe CD and 2011 Fitness/Bikini Calendar.
I am a big YouTuber, so come visit me at LauraLondon100 and watch my exercise videos, competition training videos, photo shoot videos, cooking and even juicing videos.
Come visit me on any of my social site:
Fitness Site www.LauraLondonFitness.com
Face Book www.facebook.com/LauraLondonFit www.Facebook.com/LauraLondonFitness
Twitter www.twitter.com/LauraLondonFit
YouTube www.YouTube.com/LauraLondon100
MySpace www.MySpace.com/LauraLondonFitness


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Laura London the athlete and competitor?
A: I would love a sponsorship. You can always reach me at LauraLondonFitness@gmail.comLaura London is the whole package, hard working, motivated, passionate, sexy and full of muscle!!

Q: Laura, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Follow your dreams because you never know where they will take you!

No comments:

Post a Comment