Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lindsay Forster Interview


Every once in awhile you hear me say "How did I not know about her?" I am going to say it about Lindsay Forster. Lindsay is a beautiful woman with a great physique highlighted by amazing abs. But even more so, Lindsay is an inspiration. From battling Crohn's Disease at a young age, all the way to her journey to her first competition and her passion for both training and training clients. Safe to say the Fitness lifestyle was made for someone like Lindsay Forster.



Q: First, Lindsay, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you! I have been an avid reader of the blog for almost a year now and I have acquired so much motivation and inspiration from all of these women.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself?
A: I am a Midwest girl from Bloomington, IN. I moved to Miami, FL after graduating from college but then decided to move back to my hometown for love. :)
At the age of eight I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. Throughout elementary school and middle school I was put on several medications for my chronic condition, including steroids. I was made fun of constantly for my "puffy" cheeks and I became extremely critical of myself. This eventually led me down the path of anorexia and bulimia and other unhealthy exercise and eating habits. A few years ago I vowed to myself to get my life together and BE HEALTHY. I read every fitness magazine I could get my hands on and started lifting weights and actually EATING! 5 to 6 MEALS A DAY in fact! My body started to change and I began to see results--muscle and definition. I felt strong and athletic! I just competed in my first Figure competition where I placed in the Top 5 and I can't wait to compete again!

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I was a cheerleader in middle school, but not the cheerleader who could do all the tumbling and gymnastics. I was too goofy. :) I was the "flyer" because I was shorter and smaller. I also played softball in elementary school and was the only girl on my team. Ha!

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: Forcing by my sister..LOL. I remember my older sister was into working out while I was in high school and she had me go with her into the local gym. I was terrified of getting "too big" and "too muscular." I remember whining while I was on the lying leg curl machine because it was digging into my hip bones. I was definitely not into it at first. But that quickly changed.....


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Yes, it was. I remember reading every fitness magazine I could get my hands on and mimicked the workouts that were in them. I also started reading tons of tips about diet and started to see small but noticeable results in about a month. I loved knowing that I had the power to change and manipulate my body. And I felt STRONG..something I had never really felt before.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: When I lived in Miami my trainer was a competitor and I was always in awe of her.. It amazed me that someone could get their body in that kind of condition. So, I again decided to read and research everything I could about competing. I started networking on Facebook of people who had competed and ran across an amazing woman by the name of Kathy Laucius, a competitor and personal trainer in Houston, TX. She ignited the spark that fueled my fire to compete. I call her my "Super Mama" because she is such a role model for me. When I moved back to Indiana I got in touch with a long time friend and bodybuilder, Aaron Dixon who coached and trained me all throughout my contest prep. His expertise and motivation really made me believe, "Wow, I can really do this!"

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: This was actually a very touchy subject for me. I was so unbelievably lucky to have around 300 people follow a fan page I created on Facebook where I documented my whole contest prep- Lindsay Michele Training. I would post motivational quotes, sayings, progress pictures and just how I was feeling. The response I received from people was amazing. People who I had never met were supporting me, encouraging me, and letting me know I had motivated them and helped them. I couldn't believe the support I was receiving and I was so humbled. However, some of my own family members did not express the same sentiment. Competing was all about a goal. I set a goal for myself and dammit, I reached it! It was more than stepping out on stage in a bikini- it was about determination, sacrifice, focus, and NOT GIVING up! The process taught me so much about myself-- I didn't need food as a crutch, I COULD keep going even after I feel like I couldn't go anymore and I CAN DO ANYTHING I PUT MY MIND TO. This is your life. If you are not who you want to be, change it! It wont be easy and it may take some time, but surround yourself with people who love and support you and go for it!

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: It was everything I expected and more. I was just so happy to be around inspiring and determined women who had the same interests as myself. I always felt like the odd one out when I was younger, and for the first time in my life, I felt like I belonged to something.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*2011- NPC Northern Kentucky- 5th Place

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I'd have to say my abs..That's the body part most people comment on.. However my arms have come a looooooong way and I'm definitely proud of the guns.:)

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: Shoulders! Love it!!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I eat clean 99% of the time.. I'm kinda weird like that. The food I crave is healthy, and I love sticking to that. I do cardio on an empty stomach 6 days a week (for contest I did up to 90 minutes 7 days a week at times) and I eat about 6 times a day as well. I stick the the staples; chicken, egg whites, oatmeal, broccoli, spinach.. I also love bison and find it to be a great protein source. For contest I would carb cycle and do three low carb days then have a carb meal on Monday and Thursday evenings before bed. I'm also a big believer in supplements and use them regularly. Glutamine, BCAA's, and quality protein powders are key! And I love making protein pancakes!


Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: "Holy crap, you could kick my a**!" LOL.. Or "Do you eat?" I find that so many people are uneducated about competing or just a healthy lifestyle in general.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I really don't get sick of anything. Fitness and a healthy lifestyle is my passion so I love talking about it.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That we don't eat or are only concerned about vanity.. Wrong! I eat 6 times a day and train for so many different reasons not even remotely related to looks.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best part is the sense of accomplishment I feel, as well as feeling strong and healthy. I remember the first time I could do an unassisted pull-up and I was on a high from it for days. The worst part... the worst part only happens in Winter in Indiana when it snows. I had to walk up our treacherous driveway in the snow to get to my car at the top so I could do morning cardio for awhile. Let's just say we invested in a 4 wheel drive vehicle shortly after that. :)

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Wow, so many.. but particularly Iryna McCraw, Valerie Haines and Jessica Ryan Jordan.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Probably pizza, but even when I rarely do eat it I get whole wheat crust and no cheese.. Lame.. haha.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Go for it!! And don't let anyone steer you away from your goals! When life throws up walls, "reroute your course, don't throw up your hands and quit. Change your mindset. Alter your emotions. Find a different approach. Get creative. But don't quit.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women working in the gym with the weights and not just doing cardio and things?
A: I definitely think it is increasing. I feel as though women are changing their outlook weights and training heavy. My hope is that I can motivate people to train differently through my personal training too.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Training is mainly #1, don't get me wrong, but I adore spending time with my boyfriend and our Pug son. :)

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Lindsay Forster?
A: Early morning cardio, eat, train clients/work, eat, train myself, eat, catch up on emails etc, TV time with my boyfriend, eat, then bedtime and reruns of the Golden Girls- love! Then repeat!

Q: Describe Lindsay Forster in five words.
A: Passionate. Compassionate. Dedicated. Brave. Resourceful.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I can beat most men in push up contests!

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I want to continue pursuing my passion of personal training as well as get into fitness modeling. I also plan to compete in my next show in June.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I again want to thank Kathy Laucius and Aaron Dixon for everything they've done to help and support me. I also want to promote my fan page, Lindsay Michele Training on Facebook.


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Lindsay Forster the athlete and competitor?
A: Yes, I would love to obtain potential sponsors! They can reach me through my email at forsterlind@yahoo.com. What are they getting in Lindsay Forster? A strong, determined woman who knows exactly what she wants and who will not give up. "A winner is not someone who has never suffered a setback. She is someone who knows that when setbacks come, she must get up and continue forward. If you refuse to quit - you cannot lose. Quitting is not an option, but change is always part of the winners life. Anyone who is willing to change can develop a winning attitude."

Q: Lindsay , again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you so much for this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment