Thursday, March 17, 2011

Andrea King Interview


Andrea King has a short competition history, but with each competition she has looked better and better and at this year's Arnold's she looked her best yet. She has an obvious passion for training and the sport and I expect big things in her future.



Q: First Andrea thanks for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I was born in Costa Rica,but was brought to the states as a baby along with my twin sister. So Tampa is home to me! I have never been back ,but I think its time to change that this year.

Q: Before the gym, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: Before I started competing I was an avid long distant runner. As a little girl I was always a tom-boy. From fishing to playing football I was just an all over athlete, I loved to be outside and loved to get dirty, and nothing has changed to this very day.

Q: What Initially led you into the gym?
A: Well being a runner I was very lean, but I wanted a more muscular look. So I decided to challenge myself, and do a show.


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: Hahahah No it was a huge challenge!!!!!! I had bad luck finding a good trainer who not only would walk me through the steps, but help me understand my diet. I was so disheartened I was training so hard and wasn't getting the results.Then I met my amazing trainer Ryan Watson who put together a specific meal plan just for me and my training schedule. As soon as we got started I quickly started seeing results.

Q: What made you decide to compete?
A: I just wanted to challenge myself, and push my body to the next level .

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported?
A: My dad use to be a power-lifter so he tells me how proud of me he is because he knows how hard the training, and diet can be. My friends are amazing ,and are so supportive and proud of my accomplishments. Which makes me feel so good.

Q: Was competing what you expected?
A: It isn't anything I expected at all. I never realized the sacrifice and discipline that goes into it. But the rewards are amazing!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*Tampa Bay Classic
*Hurricane Bay
*All-South
*Arnold

Q: What do you think is your best body part?
A: My quads and my abs

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train?
A: I love leg day !!!!!!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like?
A: I normally wake up at 4:30 am to get to the gym for cardio. I never eat before I do cardio, after cardio I eat, and go home to rest before work. I go back and train at night so I can get in a few carb meals in before I workout. I keep about 4 carb meals in my diet a day because I am very active ,and normally do not lower my carbs until 2 weeks out from a show. I try to eat as lean as I can the week before a show. So like fish or eggs with asparagus basically for all my meals.


Q: When people see your physique for the first time, whats the most common reaction?
A: Haha that's a funny one! People normally ask for diet tips and ask how to get abs lol. I get asked what I do or if I'm an athlete alot too. Its always a positive vibe!

Q: When they see it that first time whats the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I never get sick of people asking me things, and I try to help them with the knowledge I have obtained if I can. Cause I remember being that person asking what, why, when and how. My trainer always tells me if you don't ask then you wont know, and its better to ask so you can educate yourself along the way right! Its a compliment to have people ask me things it means they look at me and notice how hard I have worked .

Q: Whats the biggest misconception bout women who train and compete?
A: People always ask me if I'm a bodybuilder hahah. I always come back with the answer do I look like a bodybuilder and just laugh...That and when people tell me I'm skinny ...I am not skinny (I'm lean)

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: I love being at the gym I have to force myself not to over train. Worst part is Diet. I have good days and bad days.

Q: Any competitors you admire or are a fan of?
A: I do. I admire my trainer hes amazing ,and so full of knowledge. I could ask him anything, and he would have the answer for me. That shows me he loves his job and takes it seriously .
As a fellow competitor I admire Angelika Posinos Shes an amazing athlete ,and person who stands firm in her beliefs ...I first met Angelike when My trainer introduced us she was my posing coach. We quickly became friends,and now she is my cardio partner. She has supported me through thick and thin and you truly know who your true friends are when you turn around and they are always there.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Tough one...Can I have two???haha Pizza and cake( carrot cake, and cheese cake !!!)

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, whats the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: I would commend her on it, but also just tell her not to rush and take time and let her body have time to respond.

Q: DO you think its becoming more common to see women using the weights instead of just cardio?
A: I do! I think alot of women are afraid to just dive in, and seem to think its a mans sport.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love to do anything outside..! I love to run track, surf, rock climb, play any sport or even go to any and all sporting events.

Q: Any set plans for the near future?
A: I just started my prep for a track meat and the Europa this year,and I'm thinking of doing the tough mudder course in December.

Q: Describe Andrea King in five words.
A: Funny, Honest, Chill, Easy going, Laid back

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Andrea King.
A: I never stop from the second I wake up until the second I lay down. Between training, meal prep, work I'm super busy, but I like it! Keeps me on my toes


Q: Whats one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I lost over 40lbs

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so what are they getting in Andrea King?
A: I would love a sponsor!!! One because it would just push me to work harder and be better knowing someone was depending on me to be at my best and I think it would be awesome to help keep me motivated .I would never let my sponsor down I would do my very best to make them proud.

Q: Andrea, thanks again for doing this.

1 comment: