Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Taylor Stratford Interview


So one day recently I am just looking at people who have recently joined this blog's fan page. I see the name and picture of Taylor Stratford. That was huge excitement for me. Why? Because Taylor is one of the fighters I really am a fan of. She has all the skills to be among the elite in the sport for a long time. At the age of 19 you would expect someone to have that one aspect of the sport they are great at, and then others that are a work in progress. Taylor excels at many different aspects, which is going to make her more than a challenge for anyone to beat. If you are one of those fans who likes the sport but only knows the names of people who have fought on UFC type shows, find a way to watch a Taylor Stratford fight, you will be entertained and a fan.







Q: First, Taylor I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for the opportunity!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Sure, well I'm 19 years old, currently 6-1 in MMA, and ranked the number 1 bantamweight and number 3 featherweight in the nation.

Q: Were you especially athletic growing up? Play any sports?
A: Yes. I played soccer, but realized I was fast so I ran track and did that all the way until I was 17, then I got into MMA.

Q: What initially got you started training for MMA?
A: Initially it was my father & uncle encouraging me to do it, but I felt I needed a confidence boost being bullied and picked on so it felt great.

Q: Was the training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: I wouldn't say easy, but easier than most. When I become dedicated to something and want to learn it, it's almost like an instinct to learn something until I get it right. I still have plenty to learn though, I'm still fairly new :)

Q: How long did you train before your first fight?
A: I trained two months. It was kind of a spur of the moment decision with my trainer.

Q: Was fighting something your family and friends supported?
A: I didn't tell that many people. Almost all of my family knew, courtesy of my dad, but I didn't tell but probably 6 or 7 friends.


Q: Where do you train at now?
A: I'm training at the Reno Academy of Combat in Reno, NV under Rick Collup.

Q: Can you give your overall record so far?
A: I'm currently 6-1.

Q: Is there one fight you would say you are most proud of?
A: I'm proud of all my fights. Every one was a battle, from the training to stepping in the cage/ring.

Q: What would you say is your biggest strength and the one thing you most want to improve?
A: My strength is how well I listen. My corner men are always yelling at me & I try and pay attention to them as well as I can. I'd like to improve my quickness on the ground.

Q: Name the one fight you have seen that you will always remember.
A: The fight between Cris Cyborg & Gina Carano. I loved it, Cris proved her skills through fighting, not talking.


Q: Are there any fighters you are a fan of or love to watch?
A: I'm a fan of Zoila Frausto, Miesha Tate, Cris Cyborg, Anthony Pettis, Anderson Silva...basically anyone who is flashy :)

Q: In your opinion, who are the top five female fighters in the sport pound for pound?
A: Megumi Fujii, Cris Cyborg, Amanda Nunes, Zoila Frausto, Marloe Coenen. That was in a random order by the way.

Q: Do you ever see a major U.S. women's only company being viable?
A: Honestly, yes. I believe that would be absolutely amazing. But with the names of UFC & Strikeforce being so popular it will be hard.
Women are proving themselves time after time, we just need to be given more main event's and what not.


Q: Often you watch a show that has one women's fight. Somehow that fight always turns out to be the most exciting fight on the card. Why do you think that is?
A: I think it's because women are real & to the point. They waste no time trying to be intimidating, they just go. It always ends up being a great match up.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female fighters?
A: That they don't work as hard as the guys. I guarantee if you came and watched any top female fighter train, she is doing all she can to better herself and help others too.
I like to train with guys because they've learned to treat me like one of them and I feel as strong as them.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to train for the sport, whats the biggest piece of advice you would give her?
A: Do it! Don't let anyone tell you that you can't. All you need is hard work, dedication, a good trainer and a good team behind you and you're set. By team, I mean family :)

Q: Outside of training and fighting, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love being outside and being active. Summer time is my favorite, I'll be at the lake, hiking, running, playing beach volleyball, or even training outside.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Taylor Stratford?
A: Lately, it's pretty boring lol. I work 8-5 Monday through Friday, then I go train from 6-830. Weekends, I like to hang out with my best friend and fellow fighter Delo Heaivilin and just do random things. It's pretty fun!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
AL I'm unrealistic at all times. My dreams, and basically anything that is said by myself is out of this world. I have a brain like no other :)

Q: Describe Taylor Stratford in five words.
A: Silly, Friendly, Tough, Unrealistic, Immature :)

Q: So whats next for you? Any idea when you will be fighting again?
A: Next, I'm fighting for the first women's URC (Ultimate Reno Combat) title in South Lake Tahoe on the 25th of February.

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: I'd like to thank my sponsors; Bloodhappens.com, Fight Chix, Fifthroundclothing.com, and Amplified Entertainment.
You guy's are the best, couldn't be where I am without you.


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they reach you and what are they getting in Taylor Stratford and person?
A: I'm always looking for sponsors! They can find me on facebook, or contact me through a mutual contact, or contact my trainer at (775) 240-8253

Q: Taylor, I want to thank you for doing this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you for having me! I want to thank all family, friends, fans and anyone who's supporting me throughout this epic journey! This is only the beginning, it's far from over! ;)

1 comment: