Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rachel Dovidio Interview


I was already very familiar with her, but a few people told me "Interview Rachel Dovidio". I think that's a sign of respect. When others in the sport single you out as someone to pay attention to or check out, or in this case interview. Fact is, I don't think it can get any tougher than Rachel. MMA fighter and also nine years in the Marines. For one reason or another I am always happy to post an interview. In this case there are many reasons I am happy to post this one.





Q: First, Rachel I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for asking me.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I'm 27 yrs. "young" No kids but between my friends and family I don't need any. I'm in the Marines been in for almost 9 years.

Q: Were you especially athletic growing up? Play any sports?
A: I'm a tomboy I grew up with almost all boys. I played 2 years high school football at Canton Mckinley as a tight end, did 3 years shot and disc for track, kickboxing for a little during high school. Joined the marines the summer just before my senior yr. I was 17 it was just before 911 and now I do MMA.

Q: What initially got you started training for MMA?
A: I started MMA in 07 by accident. I worked in a gym and one of my members Vicki Fulimeni asked if I like to do Tae Kwon Do. I never done it so I went to a class with her at Victory Martial Arts. After class we hung out for a little bit and I saw the next class start.. well long story short Tae Kwon Do wasn't for me but this MMA stuff I was all about.

Q: Was the training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: I grew up fighting so it was easy for me and since I had some kickboxing under my belt I did ok, but the wrestling lets just say ill stick to punching people in the face....ha


Q: How long did you train before your first fight?
A: Well my first fight was to be June 08 and the day of the fight the girl didn't weigh enough..grrrrr I had trained for over a year. Killed myself to make 131 and she didn't weigh enough.( I don't know if you can tell but I'm still a little upset over that...lol)...So after that fight I had somethings happen in my life where I had to put fighting on the back burner till Aug 09 when I went back to the marines and found a great gym and then had my first fight Oct 24th 09.

Q: Was fighting something your family and friends supported?
A: So I called my mom on this one and she said " Ive supported you through football, kickboxing, marines, Iraq, armed security and bounty hunting so why wouldn't I support MMA too." as she laughs. She laughs now but Ive seen the tears of her anger for picking crazy jobs that almost give her a heart attack, tears of sadness when I did a deployment and tears of joy when I came home form Iraq. The ones that mean the most to me are those of when she is proud. I know my family and friends all support me 100% because they always let me know how proud they are of me.

Q: Where do you train at now?
A: I train all over but mostly on base. Its kinda hard to train when your coaches keep leaving or getting deployed, but that is the Marines we come and go.

Q: Whats your record so far?
A: I'm 4-1

Q: Is there one fight you would say you are most proud of?
A: Hands down the one I lost. I went all 3rds with and Olympic silver medal wrestler and I fought the week before at WOTS. I found out the day of my fight that I was fighting her and I had no idea who she was. I trained one day for that fight.


Q: What would you say is your biggest strength and the one thing you most want to improve?
A: Heart and determination....my wrestling

Q: Name the one fight you have seen that you will always remember?
A: I think it was one of my first fights I saw this kid total underdog comes out with one punch and drops the guy I think it took 8sec. It was great

Q: Are there any fighters you are a fan of or love to watch?
A: Love me some Frank Mir..lol

Q: In your opinion, who are the top five female fighters in the sport pound for pound?
A: Well to be honest I don't watch much T.V so I don't get to see the females fight much but if I had to pick, Tara Larosa, Zoila Frausto,Megumi Fujii, Cyborg and Sarah Kaufman and one day it will be Rachel Dovidio.

Q: Do you ever see a major U.S. women's only company being viable?
A: I love too see it happen maybe one day when I hit the lotto I'll get it started


Q: Often you watch a show that has one women's fight. Somehow that fight always turns out to be the most exciting fight on the card. Why do you think that is?
A: For some it is they have something to prove, sometimes its just the crowd they seem to eat up a girl fight. Its like they never seen one and it amazes them that two females would want to do something so "barbaric". My fight with Sara got fight of the night but we earned it, we beat the ever living $*!% out of each other and kept coming back for more. lol

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female fighters?
A: That we cant be good looking and fight. I'm no beauty queen but I clean up nice. ha If people want to think that its fine with me because it gives me an advantage let them think I'm all sweet and innocent. Because the looks on there face after I step in to that cage and put a beating on someone is priceless. I think we should make a commercial using that. Price to get your hair done - 25.00 nails -30.00 make up - 40.00 the look on your friends face after I knock you out priceless!.lol You know something like that.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to train for the sport, whats the biggest piece of advice you would give her?
A: Do it because its something you really want to do and not just so you can say your a fighter but never put your everything into it. Because that's what its going to take everything you have if you want to win and be the best. If your just trying to look cool go do what everyone else does buy a t-shirt watch some fights and act like you know everything but never actually stepped in a cage and shed the blood sweat a tears it takes to be a fighter.

Q: Outside of training and fighting, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I'm a book worm I read alot in the last month I've ready 8 books this is why I don't watch much t.v. I can read about 2 a week and sometimes I have 2 or 3 going at the same time just leave on in each room so O have something to read. I also go to the shooting range when I can my new favorite toy is a 45. My PT 40 turaus S&W just don't cut it anymore.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Rachel Dovidio.
A: Boring, I wake up at 0530 hit snooze till 0600 crawl out of bed (I'm not a morning person) put coffee on (a must) leave for work 0630 hope traffic isn't bad an get there by 0700- 0730 if I'm lucky. Then its a whole day of being told what to do and when (welcome to the marines) 1100 go train BJJ then at 1300 its back to work till1630 then i drive an hr. to go train and workout till 1900-1945 then I come home eat wash my butt get attacked by my cat read my book go to bed. like I said boring...lol

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I tried out for cheerleading in middle school because my friends were doing it and I made it and they didn't. I quit tho come on can you really see me as a cheerleader?

Q: Describe Rachel Dovidio in five words.
A: I had to ask for help on this one.
Unique, Competitive, Headstrong, Independent, Determined

Q: So whats next for you? Any idea when you will be fighting again?
A: I was hoping to be going to Vegas and fighting for Tuff n uff but it fell through so now it looks like April 16th in my home town of canton Ohio.

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: First I like everyone to pray for my two coaches who got deployed last month Cpl Tom Kubacki and Cpl David Porter. Now to my new sponsor Freedom Fighters this company is made by marines. Jeff Bankston and Scott Price Came up with this new company and I cant wait to see it blow up and expand. I have my own shirt now so keep a look out for it. Last but not least to my girl and manager Nichole Long thank you for all you have done.


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they reach you and what are they getting in Rachel Dovidio and person?
A: I'm always look for Sponsors! You can reach me on rmdovidio@yahoo.com or rachel.dovidio@usmc.mil

Q: Rachel, I want to thank you for doing this. Any last words before you go?
A: I just like to thank everyone who has help get me this far ill keep trying to make you proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment