Friday, February 25, 2011

Lauren Strauss Interview


Lauren Strauss has competed once and took first place. First in your first show, that's pretty impressive. But its no secret as to why she took first. Just look at her and you can see why. She has two shows on the horizon and there is no reason to believe she wont be just as successful in those shows either.




Q: First, Lauren, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you so much for the opportunity!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Well, I am the youngest of three, with two older brothers. That's probably why I'm such a tomboy! I grew up in the Boston area and moved to south Florida in 1998.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Yes, I played softball. I also like to play a little golf now and again!

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: One of my brothers called me skinny fat. That was enough motivation for me!

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I was always around an athletic family, and we always had exercise equipment around. My mom always coached our team sports and is quite athletic herself. The gym was not unfamiliar to me at all. I started out as a cardio queen and saw results really quickly from running. It wasn't too long after that that I started to incorporate a weight routine. I didn't start lifting seriously until about two years ago.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I always envied the figure competitors. I picked up my first Oxygen Magazine in 1999 and had always wanted to do it.

Q:Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: Well at first they did. But then they didn't understand it and I was called selfish a lot for all the time spent at the gym. But after seeing me on stage and becoming more educated on it, they are supportive now.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: Oh my! I think there is so much that comes as a surprise! Everything from tanning to how the show is put on. Going into my second show has been so much easier because I know what to expect. There is so much information online, but until you experience it, I don't think its possible to be fully prepared.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: I competed in Bikini in the Metroland Fall Classic in Albany, NY and placed 1st.

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: My arms! I love watching them become stronger and more defined.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: Leg day is by far my favorite! My favorite is stiff leg dead lifts, it feels good and works all the parts I need to work on!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I change up training, but usually its a half hour of cardio in the morning, then lifting in the afternoon. I work on a 5 day split, chest day 1, back day 2, legs day 3, shoulders day 4 and arms on day 5.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Honestly, so many people do not know anything about the sport. Most of the reactions are "oh, your not going to get too big are you? You look fine the way you are!" They don't understand that I am not going to look like a bodybuilder.


Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Being a bikini competitor, and working at a gym, I hear a lot of glute comments. Its ok though, we work hard at them!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I really wish people wold understand that just because women train heavy and hard, it doesn't mean we are going to look like a man!

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: Well, I get up at 4 AM and chase after my 2 1/2 year old all day, so getting back to the gym at 5 PM is difficult, but I have to say I love every minute of it.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Ava Cowan and Erin Stern top my list. My favorite bikini competitor is Amanda Latona.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Ice Cream!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Don't be afraid to lift heavy, you aren't going to get huge and bulky.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women working in the gym with the weights and not just doing cardio and things?
A: Yes and its wonderful! I really enjoy seeing all the women on the weight floor.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love being a mom. When we are back home in Florida we spend most of our time at the beach.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Lauren Strauss.
A: I get up at 3:45AM to get my cardio in before I have to open my gym at 5 AM. I'm off work at 9AM and my daughter and I spend the day together before its back to the gym at 5PM to lift. Then much deserved bed!

Q: Describe Lauren Strauss in five words.
A: Dedicated, Persistent, Fun, Honest, Happy =)

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I can box squat 275 lbs

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Of course! I have a competition in 7 weeks, then its off to Boston for the Jay Cutler Classic on May 8!!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I am always looking for sponsors or modeling opportunities, I can be reached at laurenstrauss@hotmail.com>

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Lauren Strauss the athlete and competitor?
A: Yes!!! They are getting a dedicated, professional and hard working athlete. If anyone is interested in talking to me about opportunities I can be contacted via email at laurenstrauss@hotmail.com

Q: Lauren, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: I would like to thank all of my supporters and trainers, I couldn't do this without them!

No comments:

Post a Comment