Monday, February 28, 2011

Kristin Bittner Interview


Being from Ohio, when I find a competitor from Ohio I like to go out of my way to make them look good. In the case of Kristin Bittner...... I don't have to. She makes herself look much more than good. Kristin started training as an outlet after having to give up gymnastics. That outlet has turned into a love for what she does, and does very well at. Kristin is one of those people who is so deserving of support.





Q: First, Kristin, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I was born and raised in Cleveland Ohio, and most of my family is here in ohio. I am an only child, and probably a little spoiled because of it :)I have a degree in surgical technology from the University of Akron, and am now attending Baldwin Wallace college to get my bachelors in biology with a minor in business. I graduate this December and am hoping to get into medical sales.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or
anything?
A: I was a competitive gymnast for 14 years and started at the age of 4. I also ran track (mile and 1/2 mile)and competed in a few horse shows.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I had 2 ankle surgeries due to gymnastics injuries and quit competing when I was 18. I was used to being in the gym for 20 hours a week. I felt lost without gymnastics and an outlet to release all my energy. The gym seemed like
a good place to start. My mom started training with a woman who had done a few figure shows. I went to go watch her show to see what it was all about. In the middle of the competition, I turned to my mom, and said " I want to do this."
My mom's trainer is now my trainer. I guess the rest is history!

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started
to see results?
A: It was relatively easy for me because of the gymnastics background. I started noticing results pretty quickly. I lost what little boobs I had pretty quickly! My goal was to put on more muscle, and I definitely toned up my body and got some curves!

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: My mom's trainer, who is also my trainer now, was planning on competing in a show in April. She suggested that my mom and I also compete with her! I am always up for a challenge, and doing a show was definitely the outlet I needed for my competitive nature and energy. I instantly fell in love with the glitz and glam of competing! I definitely caught the competition bug!


Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: My parents and boyfriend have been incredibly supportive with me competing. My boyfriend has been behind my back 100%, even though he thinks its funny to eat pizza and bread in front of me while I'm dieting! He really has been supportive and has even been helping me pick out bikinis and going to posing practices with me!

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: It was everything I expected and more! I was expecting cattiness backstage from the competitors, but everyone has been amazing and I have made some great friends in this industry. I don't think anything can prepare you for the spray tanning naked
with a room full of other naked girls, though! I guess it comes with the territory!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*April 2009- Natural Ohio, Lakewood Ohio- 2nd place
*May 2009- Mike Francois Classic, Columbus Ohio- 4th place
*August 2009- IFBB North American Championships- 7th place in class D
*October 2009- Natural Northern Ohio, Lakewood Ohio- 3rd place in class C
*June 2010- West Coast Classic, Los Angles California- 3rd place in class C

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I get the most compliments on my quads. They are definitely developed from gymnastics and track. They grow quickly and I have to make sure that they don't get too big before a show!

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I have a love-hate relationship with legs. I hate doing them, but I love the soreness I get after a good leg workout. My favorite to train is probably biceps, and my goal every session is to see the vein in my bicep pop!!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it
for contest prep?
A: I do weights 5-6 days a week,doing 1 body part each day and do some boxing in my basement daily. I always eat pretty healthy, but cut down my carbs pretty low 6-8 weeks before a show. When getting ready to compete, I do cardio everyday, and make sure that I eat my boiled chicken and sweet potatoes every 2 hours! I also have my best friend with me, a gallon jug of water, that goes everywhere with me!


Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time,
what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: This is a touchy subject for me. People that compete or workout regularly, understand the dedication and sacrifice that it takes to compete, and are supportive. The other 75% of people that have probably never worked out a day in their life, that feel the need to knock me down for competing. They often make comments about what I'm eating and question why I would put myself through the torture. It makes you appreciate the supportive people that much more!

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you
are most sick of hearing?
A: "What is a bikini competition, and does the girl with the biggest boobs win?" So annoying! Or people that question everything that I'm eating. Yes, its sweet potatoes and chicken, just like yesterday!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the
one thing you wish people understood?
A: I think there is a misconception about the bikini division. People think that we just push 5 lb pink weights! I'm leg pressing 300 lbs. I'm in the gym everyday lifting and doing cardio. We don't just wake up and look like this. Bikini requires
dedication and sacrifice

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: I'm a weights girl 100%! I hate cardio, and I hate it even more when I'm dieting and getting ready for a show. I recently just got into boxing, and I get excited to take my aggression out on the bag everyday!

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I'm a huge Jay Cutler fan, but I've also met some AMAZING girls while competing, who I will always stay in contact with.
There are too many good competitors out there, both amateur and pro!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Pizza is always my post contest food, but I can't turn down my mom's chicken paprikash!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one
piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Don't be afraid to lift heavy and work hard! You will be sore the next day, but it will all be worth it in the end!

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women working in the gym with
the weights and not just doing cardio and things?
A: There are definitely more girls doing weights, and I think it's awesome! I think the bikini division has helped with that. Women can still have muscle without looking "manly". Everyone looks better with a little bit of muscle!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I like to travel to any place that has a beach! Miami is probably one of my favorite places! I also spend alot of my time reading magazines and websites to find new, yummy, healthy recipes to try!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Kristin Bittner.
A: Right now, school takes up a good majority of my day. When I get done with school, I'm going to the gym or down in my basement boxing. I then make dinner from scratch every night, and usually involves chicken in some sort of way. I will do homework or study til 10pm, then call it a night. I'm actually kind of boring!

Q: Describe Kristin Bittner in five words.
A: Athletic, Compassionate, Intelligent, Dedicated, Stubborn

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I have an obsession with tattoos! I have 5, but promised my boyfriend that I wouldn't get anymore :(

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I'm planning on doing the Muscle Mafia show in October in Lakewood Ohio, the Natural Pennsylvania a week later, and then maybe the Mid Atlantic in West Virginia!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I am an aspiring fitness model, so if anyone is interested, email me!!


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they
getting in Kristin Bittner the athlete and competitor?
A: I would love to have a sponsor! I can be reached at my email Kroxy022b@aol.com. I am a very hard worker,dedicated,
professional and have placed top 4 in every regional show I've done!

Q: Kristin, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words
before you go?
A: Thank you for interviewing me, and thanks to my family ,friends, and trainers for supporting me through this crazy ride!!

No comments:

Post a Comment