Monday, February 7, 2011

Ashley Hawkins Interview


Ashley Hawkins is my third Team Bundy MMA interview, and just like the first two, she did a great interview. She has had only one fight to this point, which was a victory, but you can tell she loves the training (she wanted to start boxing training at age 12), which is always a good sign. Ashley is someone I expect to see some big things out of in the sport.




Q: First, Ashley I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for asking me to do one!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
Well I am 21 years young haha I was born in Germany, moved to Alabama, New Mexico (was an army brat you could say!) than finally made a final move to Pennsylvania that's where most all of my family is and PA is where i have grown up! I go to Youngstown state university, major in exercise science-physical therapy. I live in a small town there was about 100 some kids in my class in high school. But it is about 35-40 mins away from YSU. When I'm not reading, doing homework, or studying I'm at the gym Team Bundy mma in Niles, Ohio. (Great gym with great coaches and team mates!!) Train about 6 days a week! Also go running on the elliptical and do some lifting at YSU's gym.

Q: Were you especially athletic growing up? Play any sports?
A: Yes i\I always was! I started playing softball at 8 years old, I would always beg my grandpa to play catch with me all the time, no one else would because they said i threw too hard and hurt their hand. I played every sport growing up, had my own set of golf clubs, played soccer for a few years, basketball, threw shot and jav in track and field, and volleyball. The only sport I was totally dedicated and wanted to play all the time was softball. I still love it. I played varsity from my high school softball team and started when I was just a freshman, lettered every year. I was a catcher and outfielder. I also played travel softball till i was too old and now cant find any leagues.

Q: What initially got you started training for MMA?
A: I always wanted to box since I was about 12 and I would beg my mom to please let me take classes and everything and she would always tell me no I don't need to do that, don't want to hurt my pretty face you know how over protective moms are! So Just the past year or so I bought a punching bag and my very great friend Jessica Dinch fought twice before and helped me start training we would hit mitts forever and run and do foot work drills than started going to Team Bundys and been there ever since.

Q: Was the training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: Striking, kicks, combos, and conditioning always been in pretty decent shape.


Q: How long did you train before your first fight?
A: Well..my first fight was September 2010 and in the summer I trained not in a gym, than a few weeks before my fight I went to an actual gym.

Q: Was fighting something your family and friends supported?
My friends think it is awesome! My mom is a little weary about it all lol my younger sister cant wait to see me fight and either can my friends!

Q: Where do you train at now?
A: Team Bundy MMA in Niles Ohio! Awesome place =)

Q: Can you give your overall record so far.
A: 1-0

Q: Which fight so far is the one you are most proud of?
A: Well I have only had 1 fight so far and won so I am deff proud of that!

Q: What would you say is your biggest strength and the one thing you
most want to improve?
A: Jiu jitsu


Q: Name the one fight you have seen that you will always remember?
A: The very first Gina Carano fight I ever seen I was amazed how great she was!

Q: Are there any fighters you are a fan of or love to watch?
A: Gina carano, ShoGun, GSP, Forrest Griffin, Frank Mir and Cro Cop.

Q: In your opinion, who are the top five female fighters in the sport
pound for pound?
A: Of course Gina Carano even though she has been mia for a while lol. Cyborg, Zoila Frausto, Sarah Kaufman and Marloes Coenen

Q: Do you ever see a major U.S. women's only company being viable?
A: Yes It seems everyday more and more women are getting more and more involved and popular!

Q: Often you watch a show that has one women's fight. Somehow that fight always turns out to be the most exciting fight on the card. Why do you think that is?
A: We have something to prove and are full of energy and heart!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female fighters?
A: We are not just angry women, we are strong and wanna train just as much as the guys and wanna be taken seriously!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to train for the sport, whats the biggest piece of advice you would give her?
A: Be mentally strong and put 100 % into it!

Q: Outside of training and fighting, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Being with my friends and family, walking my dog (not in the freezing weather though!!), going out having fun!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Ashley Hawkins.
A: Wake up about 7 am get ready get all of my stuff ready for my classes get done around 2, go to the gym or go home, let my dog out, feed her and than feed me lol do some school work, get ready for training, train, come home eat, get a shower do more school work, sleep repeat!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Hmm.. I don't think there is much that is surprising!


Q: Describe Ashley Hawkins in five words.
A: Strong, Kind, Funny, Outgoing, Sweet! lol

Q: So whats next for you? Any idea when you will be fighting again?
A: Whatever comes up I'm ready for! March 12th is my next fight, 2 of my team mates Jessic Dinch and Rebecca Gruitza are also on the card! Very excited for it!!

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: Yess! My gym Team Bundy MMA! Great team mates and coaches!!! =)

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they reach you and what are they getting in Ashley Hawkins the fighter and person?
A: Yes! They can email me anytime aahawkins23@gmail.comI am a great person and fighter with a lot of heart and am a confident woman!

Q: Ashley again, I want to thank you for doing this. Any last words before you go?
A: Yes thank you very much for giving me the great opportunity! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment