Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Crystal Anthony Interview


Crystal Anthony falls into that "How the heck did I go so long without interviewing her?" category. There is so much to like about Crystal. From her incredible physique, to her love for training and the sport, to her great positive attitude with quotes like "Its now a matter of if, its a matter of when" in regards to turning Pro, and "this isn't a hobby, its a way of life". Another category Crystal falls into is the "Example of why I do this blog" category. Expect big things from Crystal.






Q: First, Crystal, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you so much for opportunity!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am originally from KY but now live in Michigan with my wonderful husband and three daughters. I am an RN working in the ER (I'm an adrenaline junkie all the way!).

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: In high school (many many moons ago ;) I ran track. After that, I was just a very busy person on the go all of the time. I am naturally an ectomorph, so I was always on the thin side and never worked out.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: Well, it's kind of a funny story. As I said, I'm naturally a thin person, never worked out at all. My ex was very into muscular women and liked to look at Oxygen magazine. On issue had an article along the lines of "look like this in 30 days" or something similar. I told him that even a person like me following the article to a tee could not look anything near those women in 30 days. He proceeded to tell me I could never look like them, be muscular or compete anyway. That was pretty much all I needed-was someone to tell me I couldn't do it lol. I joined a gym, studied and researched everything I could from working out, to competing to diets and got hooked. Seems the rest is history-including my ex!

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I am a research fanatic, so I was tearing up everything I could when I got started. I think that made things much easier for me-I didn't step into the gym totally blind I worked out hard everyday and probably started seeing small results within 4-6 weeks.


Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I am a very competitive person and when I do something, I do it 110% so my initial goal when I started working out was to compete.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: I am very fortunate to be surrounded by supportive people! My mother, brother and sister are always cheering me on. My husband is my biggest fan and the most supportive person on the planet! And my kids are behind me all the way-they just ask that I remember to keep some junk food in the house for them when I start contest dieting!

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: I was surprised at how supportive everyone in the industry was. I was quite intimidated by the big guys at my first show, but it didn't take long to realize how helpful everyone really is.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: My most recent/last 2 years
*2009 Kalamazoo figure 1st tall class
*2009 Flint figure 1st tall class
*2009 Grand Rapids figure 2nd masters 5th tall class
*2009 Southwest MI figure 1st tall class
*2010 Northern KY 16th tall class
*2010 Kalamazoo bodybuilding Women's overall champion
*2010 North Americans figure 14th place tall class
*2010 Southwest MI bodybuilding 1st place heavyweight class


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I used to say it was my back because I have naturally wide lats, but now I think it may be my quads. My legs were my weakest part so I hammered them and now I'm really liking the way they look ;)

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train pr favorite exercise?
A: I have a love/hate relationship when I do a drop set on the leg press. It's pretty brutal!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I train 7 days a week. On my days off from work I try and hit the gym twice. Each body part gets it's own workout. I don't do cardio in my off season, but I do incorporate it when my contest dieting starts. I keep my diet pretty clean in the off season but I'm not fanatical about it. I think too many people stress out over dieting and set themselves up for failure. My contest dieting is very strict tho. I cycle between keto and low carb.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I think everyone has been positive. Men and women both are fascinated for the most part with that level of working out and competing. They ask a lot of questions.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I don't think I am tired of hearing anything so far lol. I do hear comments repeatedly that annoy fellow competitors, but I use them as a teaching opportunity. Most people are receptive when I try and explain my theories or try to clear up misconceptions.


Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I think the biggest misconception about women who train is that if you lift hard/heavy that you will look like a man! I wish I could take the word 'tone' out of women's vocabulary. I push some pretty heavy weights and work as hard, if not harder than most and I don't think I look like a man ;)

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best part is seeing the changes I make, the way I can shape and mold my body. The worst part is that I am a very impatient person and a 'hard grower' when it comes to gaining muscle-I want it now! lol

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: My favorite figure competitor will always be Amber Littlejohn-perfection in my eyes. My favorite bodybuilder is Cory Everson (especially in the 1987 Ms Olympia)

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Peanut butter! I am an addict and honestly have no desire to give it up ;)

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Do your research! There is no one person that knows everything. Different things work for different people and being informed will help you succeed.


Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women in the gym training as hard as men?
A: Yes-finally! I think figure has opened the door to many women realizing they can work hard, build muscle and look feminine and beautiful.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I don't seem to have much time out of the gym, but I do enjoy horseback riding, riding my motorcycle and dancing

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Crystal Anthony?
A: There is nothing typical about a day in my life! I work 12 hour nights as an RN. I try to workout with my husband everyday at approx 11am. I catch sleep when I can. I get my girls off to school in the mornings and am home for them in the afternoon. If I am not working that night, I go to the gym a second time. We go thru a lot of food in my house lol, so I stop by the store every couple days. My husband and I take each day as it comes and do what we can to help each other. My life is organized chaos!

Q: Describe Crystal Anthony in five words.
A: Determined, Helpful, Innovative, Meticulous, Spontaneous

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I used to show dogs on a very high level-I've been to Westminster showing twice!

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I would like to nationally qualify again this year and try for my Pro figure card. I am also very interested in seeing what the new women's physique division is going to turn into.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Hhhmm, just myself if I can? I run Wildfyre Fitness and Nutrition. I am available for online and personal help in any aspect of men's and women's training, dieting, posing, etc. I can be contacted at wildfyre14@yahoo.com

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Crystal Anthony the athlete and competitor?
A: This is the first year I am going to actively look for a sponsor. I can be reached at wildfyre14@yahoo.com What will they be getting? A winner. I am focused and determined. It's not a matter of if I will turn pro, it's just a matter of when. I am also a great pubic relations individual and I think I'm quite personable too (hey, my mom said I was! ;)


Q: Crystal , again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you so much! I just want to say how much I love this sport. It is not a hobby for me, it is my way of life. I am thrilled to see so many other women becoming interested in training and competing.

1 comment: