Monday, December 27, 2010

Lauren Ashby Interview


I recently mentioned that if anyone wanted to do a second interview to let me know. Lauren Ashby said she would like to if I was interested. Was I interested? Is the sky blue? I was very excited Lauren was interested. Several reasons. First off, Lauren did a great interview the first time. Secondly, I LOVE Lauren's attitude, about fitness and life. Finally, as I said in her first interview, Lauren has one of my absolutely favorite physiques. Lauren is someone I expect to keep improving and doing really big things in the sport.





Q: Lauren thanks for taking the time to do another interview

Q: For those not familiar can you tell a little about yourself.
A: I am a self-employed personal trainer, bootcamp instructor and figure competitor living in New York City. I've been working as a trainer for about 4 years and competing for almost 2 years.

Q: Can you update people on whats been going on with you since our last interview, on and off the stage?
A: Since my last interview I have had great success building my training business which keeps me very busy and competed once more in 2010 at Eastern USA's in New York City.

Q: Have you been watching any of the competitions lately? Anyone impress you?
A: I keep a close eye on the competitions! You should not only see what the others girls look like, you can really learn alot from their interviews, posing, pictures, etc. I am always impressed by Erin Stern and Nicole Wilkins-Lee. Amazing physiques!


Q: On a scale of 1-10, what would you ate this year for you as far as competing and why?
A: I would say this year was about a 7 for me. I improved greatly from my first show in 2009, but didn't place as high as I would like at my shows this years.

Q: Have you noticed any one part of your physique that you really improved on in 2010?
A: My legs and glutes definitely improved this year. I really hammered them. They're stubborn and hold the most fat of my body parts. It was definitely a challenge to pull out the cuts and definition, especially in my quads.

Q: Heading to 2011, what do you want to improve on?
A: I've already started my 2011 improvements! I'm working on fuller shoulders and of course leaner, tighter legs.

Q: Do you ever set any specific goals when competing, or is it just do your best and see what happens?
A: I have high expectations for myself, but I try not to let disappointment get me down. I will always do my absolute best and give 110%. I love the challenge of competing, seeing my body develop and being an inspiration for my clients. If I do well on stage, that's a bonus!

Q: As far as the fitness industry, are there any changes you would like to see made?
A: As long as there's no cookie-cutter way of looking, I love the fitness industry as it is....constantly changing and developing. It keeps you on your toes as a trainer and a competitor.


Q: Depending on who you talk to, some think women in the industry are getting more respect, then others say less. Which side do you fall on?
A: Personally I feel like women have gained alot of respect over the past few years. Gender shouldn't play a role, we all work hard!

Q: Do you get more nervous leading up to a show?
A: I always get a little nervous the week or so out, but it's also an excited feeling. It's a good healthy balance of nerves and excitement I think.

Q: Can you give people an idea of what your typical training routine and diet are like
A: On season I train every day. Cardio twice a day, lifting 6 days a week and I break out body parts. I train legs twice a week, shoulders twice a week, train back once a week, arms once a week and include chest on one of my shoulder days. My abs are constantly being worked, so I don't need to focus too much on them. They come out through diet. Off season I train 6 days a week following a similar schedule to my on-season routine. I cut out some of the cardio and focus on really improving areas I feel are lacking. I love to eat clean, so regardless of the time of year, my diet is always healthy. Why work so hard and then blow it on your diet?! Of course, I cheat here and there during the off season, but I keep it pretty tight year round.

Q: What is your favorite healthy meal and favorite cheat meal?
A: My favorite healthy meal is protein pancakes made with oats and egg whites. I'm Italian, so my favorite cheat meal is anything with sauce and cheese!

Q: What body part do you most enjoy training and why?
A: I love training shoulders. It's one of my biggest challenges. I love feeling them burn and seeing the fullness come in.


Q: Which do you least enjoy training and why?
A: I enjoy all aspects of training but I guess arm training is probably my least favorite. I don't get the rush I do from other muscle groups.

Q: When it comes time for off season, how long do you consider your off season, and how far over contest weight do you like to go?
A: My off season really depends on the contest schedule and any important events I have going on in my personal life. I try to stay within 12lbs of my contest weight.

Q: Do you prefer training alone or with a partner and why?
A: I "prefer" training alone, but it's good to mix it up once in a while and workout with someone else. You can learn so much from other competitors and professionals in the fitness industry. But I do enjoy my time alone as well!

Q: Usually I ask what the biggest misconception about competitors is. This time I will ask whats the biggest misconception about you?
A: Initially people think I'm going to be mean. I think women not in the fitness industry associate muscles with meanness. Not true! I'm constantly cracking jokes and making fun of myself.

Q: Do you get a lot of people at the gym asking for advice and does it bother you when they do it during the workout?
A: I am flattered if people ask for advice. My body is my best marketing tool for my business.

Q: What is a typical day like for you?
A: Well right now during the off season, I'm up by 5:30am, walk my dog, eat my first meal, train my early morning clients, train myself and then spend the rest of the day training clients, eating my meals, dog walking again and prepping food and my programs for the next day. I try to go to bed early, I love my sleep! I socialize on weekends but very rarely during the week. I typically have 15-16 hour days during the week.

Q: Finish this sentence. In five years I will be?
A: A mom, competing and building my brand!

Q: Anything else you want to plug or promote?
A: Just that I am accepting new clients in the New York City area and am now offering nutrition counseling services in addition to personal training.


Q: Looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what do they get in sponsoring you as an athlete?
A: Sponsorship would be amazing. I can be reached at defazio76@yahoo.com. I am hard working, dedicated and will give any sponsor my absolute heart and soul!

Q: Lauren, again, thanks so much for doing this. Any last words before you go?
A: I wish everyone happy holidays and all the best in 2011! Thanks for taking the time to interview me!

No comments:

Post a Comment