Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ashley Taylor Interview


Ashley Taylor refers to MMA as a hobby, not a career. Yes, her hobby is getting punched in the face, and punching others in the face. While some others may refer to MMA in the same way, those are the people who usually don't put everything they have into getting better, knowing they need to improve, and what they need to improve on. Ashley has the right attitude, knowing there is always a need to improve. If she keeps going like that, Ashley is going to end up being pretty damn good at her "hobby".






Q: First, Ashley I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I'm 26 years old, engaged and a mother to 3 beautiful children. I work full time at a pig plant called Cargill. In spare time I enjoy workout out, training, being outside, country rides, shopping, tanning..... I enjoy mma fighting and have been doing so for almost a year now. I'm full of energy, and a walking firecracker =]

Q: Were you especially athletic growing up? Play any sports?
A: Yes, I played basketball from 5th and 6th grade... skipped a couple years in between but loved the sport. I was a point guard. I also played volleyball. Was MVP my senior year of high school, and I played the role of a setter. [That's where they stick all the short people] haha. Did a year of track in middle school.

Q: What initially got you started training for MMA?
A: The need to lose weight is what basically got me started... It started out as working out... then I watched a female fight [Sarah Goodlaxson] and I thought, wow, I wanna try that.... I trained with her one time, and could barley walk after that training session, but I was addicted. I don't have the time to train as hard as most of those girls fighting, but I do what I can. It's more of a hobby for me. Keeps me in good health, and the rush of getting into the cage is something hard to explain. I've always been a firecracker, and like to stand my ground once in a while. So I choose the legal way... =] In the cage.

Q: Was the training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: At first it was really confusing and hard for me, because others made it look SO easy. I would say it's something that you learn easily... it's more working on it over and over to perfect it to the best of ones ability. I go learn, then take it back to my house, and try to get it down there.... since I can't be at the gym daily.. I have to train myself, with the help of others at my house.

Q: How long did you train before your first fight?
A: The working out part I did about 6 months before my first fight, the actual training to cage fight I started about a month and a half before my first fight... I worked on some things before ever going to a real gym.... but a actual gym training, I'd guess a month and a half.


Q: Was fighting something your family and friends supported?
A: My family really didn't know at first... My dad is always excited to hear the results.. but he's never actually been to one of my fights yet. My fiance is my best support. He's also one of my corner guys. He works with me at home, and he's probably my biggest supporter, most of the time. Friends.... they think it's neat, some watch to watch... others could care less.

Q: Where do you train at now?
A: I usually try to make it to Warrior Concepts in Springfield IL on Saturdays when i don't have to work. My schedule is crazy this time of year ... but when I go train, that's where I go. There amazing there. So dedicated, I admire all of them.

Q: Can you give your overall record so far?
A: 1-1-1 [ 1 win, 1 loss, 1 draw]

Q: Which fight so far is the one you are most proud of?
A: My most recent which was Oct 2 in Quincy IL. It was my draw. I was proud of it because you could see that I've gotten better since my first fight. I learned things and used them. Almost had a arm bar but she slipped out of it. I wanted to stand and bang, and that's what we did. My second fight I didn't throw any punches really... so this time I told myself, there will be more action. She was also my hardest opponent so far. She was VERY quick.

Q: What would you say is your biggest strength and the one thing you most want to improve?
A: My biggest strength would be my strength I guess. I weigh 130 and I can bench my own weight, so that's a plus. Muscle doesn't always help in a fight, but it's a plus I suppose. Another strength would be my heart. I've lost...... and I'm ok with that. As for improvement. EVERYTHING with me needs to improve. With my training schedule.... I do what I can with what I know... So of course improvement is needed. I need to watch my chin.. keep it down... and also follow through with my punches more.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training and competing in the sport?
A: The best part of training and competing is the feeling of showing everyone who said you couldn't do it, that you have done it, and that you will continue to do it, no matter what they say. Stepping into that cage fighting in front of all those people is a feeling that's hard to explain, it's a rush of adrenaline, and it's just a amazing feeling. The worst part of it is taking the chance of getting injured... and some training days don't always go so well, you have to keep your head up... everyone has there bad days.... and sometimes in training you can be hard on yourself.

Q: Are there any fighters you are a fan of or love to watch?
A: I'm a fan of many.. local females would be Sarah Goodlaxson [which she moved now so shes not so local] Cathy Snell is amazing at what she does, I'm ready to see her fight again.... I loved training with her also. I'm a HUGE Joe Jordan fan. Matt Hughes is amazing... I love watching Tuff N Uff replays on youtube also... One day I might actually get to go watch one in real life =]


Q: In your opinion, who are the top five female fighters in the sport pound for pound?
A: Of course Cyborg is number one. She's a beast. Megumi Fuji is another strong fighter, out of Japan but she has submissions like crazy... Sarah Kaufman, Tara LaRosa and Erin Toughill.

Q: Do you ever see a major U.S. women's only company being viable?
A: I'd have to say probably not in the Pro world. It would be nice, but I know in just the amateur world it seems like a lot of the females don't go through with there fights... there are just a lot of back-outs with females... There are many pro women fighters out there, but we've only heard of the big time ones. As for all female fight cards, this is happening a lot, and its very exciting.

Q: Often you watch a show that has one women's fight. Somehow that fight always turns out to be the most exciting fight on the card. Why do you think that is? A: Because women are ready to get down. Women like getting in there, showing people that it CAN be done. We learn the same way a man does, just with less strength. It's kind of sexy seeing a women fight, holding her ground.. throwing punches... females are just as capable as whooping butt as males. =]

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female fighters?
A: That we can not train and sweat as much as a man I suppose. Some people are unaware of our strengths... Alot of people say women should be in the kitchen, but as for me... that's not my place.. I can't cook very well, haha.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to train for the sport, whats the biggest piece of advice you would give her?
A: Never give up, if it's something you want to do... do it. Don't let your friends hold you back. If someone makes fun of you for it, let them. Your the bigger person.. Your the one stepping into the cage, your the one with the courage to fight. Don't let someone else make your decisions for you. Plus it's a great type of workout.

Q: Outside of training and fighting, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I enjoy shopping of course. I do a lot of online shopping... I work full time and have 3 children so my activities are limited. We're outside people.. we love four wheeler riding... going out on the river... fishing...

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Ashley Taylor?
A: I get woke up at 6 a.m. with my fiance coming home from work. I try to catch some more sleep until 7:15 a.m. Get my oldest son ready and off to school... Then it's breakfast time for myself and my other 2 children. Then we all head down to the workout room. I try to do about 2 hours....... but I feel really good when I get about 3-4 hours in. Then it's lunch-time... and time to get ready for work... Work from 2-midnight... Come home.. Sometimes get another 1-2 hour workout in.. Depends on how I'm feeling. and that's a typical day. [When I'm not sick, and my energy level is up, haha]

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I work at a pig plant. People who don't know me and look at me say "Girl you don't look like you'd work in a pig plant".. But I do, I use a wizard knife and shave off fat from the butts of pigs. I really do love my job, and it's pretty easy.

Q: Describe Ashley Taylor in five words.
A: Spunky, Open-minded, Blond, Short, annnnd............. Funny =]

Q: So whats next for you? Any idea when you will be fighting again?
A: I was supposed to fight December 4th but my fiances Christmas party is that night. So I had to say no. My next fight will most likely be Jan 22 in Quincy IL for Extreme Challenge.

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: I'd like to give a shoutout to "Widow-maker Fight Sports" for all there support. They always keep in touch, and if I need something, they take care of it. A wonderful sponsor, and they have a great line of fight shorts, rash guards, etc... Facebook them =] Also thanks to Respect No Respect for the clothes they have supplied for me. I'd like to thank Warrior Concepts for putting in the time to help me on the Saturdays that I can make it. =] Another shoutout to my fiance, who pushes me more and more daily. Helps me with mitts, and really pushes for me to better myself for my fights. And last a thank you to Extreme Challenge and Chad Bergmier for letting me on your shows. =] It's a great experience.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they reach you and what are they getting in Ashley Taylor the fighter and person?
A: If someone wants to get there clothing name out there, I'll wear it. =] I'm sure to be on some televised events someday. I've been asked but schedule wise, I haven't had the opportunity to actually be able to say yes, and appear. They can reach me by facebook, or email taylor_ashley_@hotmail.com ....


Q: Ashley again, I want to thank you for doing this. Any last words before you go? A: Thank you very much for allowing me to do this for you. =] It was my first, and hopefully won't be my last. I hope to continue fighting for a few more years. It's a hobby for me not a career. I do it for fun. It's entertaining, and keeps me healthy and going strong. Thank you once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment