Monday, October 4, 2010

Brandy Higgins Interview








Brandy Higgins is someone I have become really impressed with. In a short time she went from someone I wasn't really familiar with to a personal favorite. She has a great physique (highlighted by incredible abs and great legs), has a very outgoing personality, and as the pictures show, is a very beautiful woman. Her goal is her Pro card, and with her attitude, determination, desire, and physique, I surely would not doubt her ability to get it. Brandy Higgins is destined for big things in this industry.




Q: First, Brandy, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Well I was born and raised in Lexington, TN. I’m a big Tom Boy and Love to get dirty with the boys. LOL… I grew up with lots of animals mostly horses. Where I showed and competed in all types of events. After I graduated from High School I went to UT Martin for a year then joined the United States Army on Active Duty. I was a 92-A which is automated logistics and also the .50 cal gunner for my unit! While on Active Duty I got married and had my son (Tyler). After I got out in 2002 I moved to Southern Utah and attend college where I graduated with my A.S. in Science. After that I moved to Northern Utah to attend USU where I was working on my B.S. in Exercise Science. Now I’m a single mom who works for the DoD on Hill AFB. I work part time as a personal trainer and compete in figure with the NPC.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I did play in gymnastics when I was in grade school cause I cheered. But sports really wasn’t my thing, if I did play any of them I was a naturally. I played one summer of softball but it got in the way of my fishing, so I stopped after that. My thing was training horses.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: After seeing pictures of me and my son on a horse, I was really over weight and started to have health problems.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: It came natural to me. At the time I was married and my ex husband showed me a few things. I wanted to know more so I began taking exercise science classes and ready up on exercise and nutrition. Once I began understanding how to balance things out my body changed so fast. I had people at the gym asking me to train them. That’s why I became a personal trainer, I love helping others.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I remember seeing pictures in magazine of Monica Brant and Jenny Lynn. I remember thinking; wow, a strong, fit, and sexy look. And after being in the Army for a few years, I was always looking for a great challenge. I love pushing myself to the limits.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: Not really. It was hard for them to understand. The big Myth; if you life weights as a woman you will look like a man. I just finished USA’s and only was about 112 lbs and still my family thinks I was too big. It’s hard to explain sometimes the diets, training, and hours at gym training and doing cardio. My biggest supporter now is my boyfriend who also competes. We both just did USA’s together. Makes getting ready for a show so much better.

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: You’re never really prepared for the first show. Lol… It was a great learning experience. There is so much that goes into getting ready. I didn’t pack enough food and carb depleting and loading if that’s something you do. Water intake and sodium. It took a few shows for me to start learning my body and what works for me. I’m still learning every day.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*2010 NPC USA’s Class B 16th
*2010 NPC TopForm Classic Class A 1st
*2010 NPC TopForm Classic Novice 3rd
*2009 NPC Las Vegas Classic Class A 5th
*2007 ABA Figure Open 4th
*2007 ABA Bikini Diva 1st
*2007 ABA Sports Model 1st

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: That’s a hard one. Most people love my legs, however I like my abs the best. They have a mind of their own. When people ask me what I do for them, they are surprised I only train them a month out from a show most of the time and only 2 x a week. One day weighted and the other endurance.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: Shoulders and Back. I’m trying to get a better shoulder cap so I really like training shoulders because I’m seeing the results. My back is almost 3-D looking sometimes on stage so I enjoy working it just to see what it will look like each time. I love to do plyo with super sets on most exercise. I just get a more athletic look when I use plyo training.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: My Boyfriend (Brandon Burrows) has been helping me get ready for my last show and my next show. I play with my diet depending on where I’m at and how I’m feeling. I do much better on a lower carb diet with high protein and medium fats. I feel like I’m very carb sensitive. As far as training I train just like a bodybuilder but I add plyo into my training. For example I will do Lateral Raises with jump squats between sets. I lift heavy for the most part because I need a bit more size, but I do more endurance for my Biceps and Triceps cause I build muscle there really easy. I do about 4-5 sets total depending and my cardio is more HIIT style. I have really bad knees from running in the army so I can’t do hours on end of cardio. About 4 weeks out I add more cardio into my prep. I feel like if I do too much too soon then I just eat way at my muscles. But for me and most it’s a weekly look and see where I’m at then make a decision on what to do.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Most are impressed. When people see my before picture or find out that I have a child they can’t believe it. For the most part its more Positive.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "How much can you bench?" That’s mostly from the men. Don’t understand why some people think that chest is so important. I’m like REALLY! What about LEGS! They are the biggest muscle part in the body! You should want a balance physique.
Women are more I just can’t find the time or I have kids! And? It doesn’t take much to live a healthy life style. Make the time! Taking the kids and dog for a walk. Get up 30mins early and do a something around the house of exercise.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Just because you lift heavy you will look like a man. I don’t know who started that but It just drives me nuts. Lol.. You can lift heavy all day long man or woman but if your diet is not on track you can’t grow. Most people don’t eat the right foods or amounts to grow anyway. If you’re a woman looking to shape your body you need to lift weights.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The Best Part for me is seeing each time the changes I make each time I step on stage. I love the sport! It’s me against myself and no one else! That’s what makes it so fun!
The worst part? How could there be anything bad out of doing what you love. There is no worst part for me.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Monica Brant, Nicole Wilkins-Lee and Erin Stern for figure.
However my boyfriend is the most positive influence in my life right now. His mental way of thinking and visualization has helped me become a better person and competitor. The same as Kai Greene which is one of my favorite Pro Bodybuilders.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Anything not on my diet. LOl.. I like something sweet. Ice cream

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Don’t be afraid to lift heavy! Weights are very important if you want to change your shape not cardio only.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more accepted by society to see women training as hard as men in the gym?
A: Yes and No. I was at a show and over heard a Photographer tell the staff not to worry about talking and taking pictures of female bodybuilders! Why? They put just as much time and effort in the gym as figure, fitness, bikini and bodybuilders do. But the magazines only want to see a fit physique. I think society is starting to understand that everyone needs to exercise but they have a fine line on what is acceptable.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I enjoy spending time with my son, boyfriend and his two kids. My two dogs who one I just got a new Blue Nose Pit Bull name keno. I love to camp, hike, fish, and just being outside. Utah is a great place if you like the outdoors.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Brandy Higgins.
A: Well I’m 8 weeks from the NPC Utah Nutrimart Classic so
Up at 4am cardio then eat and out the door by 6pm heading to work. I get off work at 4:45pm run home help my son with home work and cook dinner for him then off to the gym for training and more cardio. I’m home in bed by 10 to 10:30pm.
I’m off on Friday, Sat, and Sundays so things change a little. Not much. I get to sleep in a little and help clients on these days. Sunday is my Son’s day to do whatever he wants so we can go to a movie or a fun park, etc…

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I was a .50 Cal Gunner for my unit in the ARMY! Well even I was in the Army surprises most people. I loved the Army! Best decision I ever made was to join. It taught me so many things and made me who I am today!

Q: Describe Brandy Higgins in five words.
A: Goofy, Fun, Lovable, Down to earth

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I’m going for my Pro Card! That’s my overall Goal. My next show is in 8 weeks (NOTE: at the time of interview) and I plan to do a few more shows between now and USA’s in 2011.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Just want to thank my Boyfriend (Brandon Burrows) for all his help and support. I have had some up and downs with training and diet and his been right there to push me and keep me motivated through it all.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Brandy Higgins the athlete and competitor?
A: I am looking for Sponsors! I can be reached at me email: breonnai@aol.com
You can find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1780783714
Under Brandy Higgins
Bodybuilding.com : http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/brandyb/
I’m very outgoing person who love’s helping others and talking about diet and training. I don’t mind starting from the bottom and working my way up to the top! Always up for a good challenge! That’s the military in me!
I love working trade shows and meeting new people.
I’m also a certified personal Trainer and sports nutrition certified. Working on my B.S. in Exercise Science.
As far as my competing; I’m going as far as I can go. I will have more Pro Card very soon and will keep going until I do. I think I have a different look about me. I can go many direction and far with competing and fitness modeling. I love to blog about my contest preps and what I’m doing so I can get your product and name out there.

Q: Brandy, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Just would like to thank you for taken the time to let me have the interview with you. I have enjoyed answering all the questions and look forward to talking to you again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment