Sunday, August 29, 2010

Kelly Ferguson Interview









Some people are just naturally winners. They set their mind to do something, they do it, and they win at it. Kelly Ferguson fits that description. She started training for Figure in January 2009 and competed in March 2009 and her contest history is loaded with first places. Kelly just competed at the national level at USA's and looked incredible. Kelly is someone to keep an eye on because there is no doubt she is going to keep improving and we are going to see a lot more 1st places in that contest history.




Q: First, Kelly, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for asking me!!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Lets see, I am from Buffalo, NY. Born and raised. My family consists of my mom, my brother and my two black labs, Ava and Bailey. I am 27 years old, although everyone thinks I am like 16! I am the Director of IFR and Recharge Accounting at Buffalo State College.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: The only sport I ever did was running track in elementary school. Even back then I was a sprinter (not into distance running…yuck)! I danced for 18 years and cheered through out high school. I took tap, jazz, lyrical, ballet and a little bit of pointe.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I have had gym memberships for years and I would go occasionally but nothing routine. If I felt like working out 2 weeks I would go and then not show my face again for a month or so. Once I started getting into the figure competitions, I was obviously in numerous gyms a few times a day.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I started training for figure in mid January of 2009 and made my way to the stage in March of 2009. I only trained for two and half months… so I picked it up fairly easy. I started to see results almost immediately! It was awesome!

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I used to watch the fitness competitions when I was younger on ESPN. Ever since I saw them, I always wanted to do it! The past few years I would joke around …always flexing and saying that I was going to do bodybuilding. Of course I doubted myself and then eventually the timing was right and I worked up the courage to do it :-)

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: When I first told everyone at a family dinner that I was thinking of training for a show I remember them all making a face like ‘what?!’. My mom’s first response was, ‘are you going to look like a guy??’ lol I think my mom tried to sabotage me a few times with buying my favorite donuts while I was prepping (which she will deny). Once everyone either came to my shows or saw pics of what I was doing they got into it and they have been nothing but supportive since!! My mom is really into going to the shows now to :-)

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: To be honest I didn’t really know what I was getting into now that I look back on it. I think the biggest surprise to me was how mental the whole cycle is, before, during and after competitions.

Q: Can you share your contest history
A:
INBF Buffalo – March 2009
1st Place Novice Figure Class A
Overall Novice Winner
1st Place Figure Open Class A
4th Place Ms. Fit

Mr & Ms Buffalo – NPC – March 2009
1st Place Figure Class A
Overall figure winner :-)

NGA-Buffalo – April 2009
1st Place Figure Open Class A

NGA-Rochester – April 2009
1st Place Figure Open Class A

Rochester – NPC – June 2009
2nd Place Figure Open Class A

NPC USA's- NP

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I would say my best body part is my delts which I refer to as my mushroom caps :-)

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: I like to train my bi’s and tri’s. I love to get a pump going.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Well since I last competed I have been lifting with my boyfriend 3-4 times a week. My boyfriend Chris is an awesome personal trainer so that’s a plus for me! I have been trying to put on a little more muscle and develop my overall package. I try to eat clean during the day when I am not in contest prep. It’s fairly easy since I pack meals and take them to work. I allow myself to enjoy things that I want to enjoy but, I try not to make a habit of over indulging (not easy!!) All in moderation :-) When it’s time for the contest prep I go to boot camps every day, sometimes twice a day with my figure coach, Terry Stokes. I continue to lift and kick up the cardio. And of course that’s where the great, fabulous, amazingly BLAH diet comes in!!! YAY!!

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Usually positive. My boyfriend’s family heard that I competed before I met them. After seeing them for the 1st time his cousin told me that she thought I was going to be huge like my boyfriend (he is a bodybuilder too). So I think if you don’t know what I look like and you hear that I compete, people expect me to be like 250lbs of pure muscle lol

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I don’t get sick of the questions or comments but, I do get a kick out of people asking me what workouts I do or what my diet is like. Everyone seems to have the same response ‘I could never do that! I love food’

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I would say that most people probably think that because we are all dolled up on stage that it is a glamorous sport and we always look like that. Let me tell you…I wipe the sweat dripping off head with my tank top like 50 times during a workout. I usually sweat thru my gym clothes to the point where it looks like I ran thru a sprinkler! I shower so many times a day that I haven’t done anything with my hair besides throw it up wet in the past 3 weeks! It’s NOT cute! When the show comes around its like a treat to get ready.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: I think the best part of competing is the battle you have with yourself. Always a challenge!
I think the worst part of competing is also the battle you have with yourself. Self doubt is the worst!

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I am only 4’11’’ so I tend to root for the shorties! Def inspired by Jamie Eason, Cheryl Brown, Erin Stern, Andrea Watson, Ava Cowan, etc. etc. etc.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Poptarts :-) and of course cheesy pizza, Pizza, PIZZA with green olives!
Lately I have been craving a salami sandwich… weird I know.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Have fun with it!!!

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women in the gym working as hard as men?
A: For sure, women might not be benching 300lbs like dudes but, we are sweating our butts off like no other!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I enjoy going to the beach when the weather is nice, I just started getting into reading this past year and I am also studying to get my pt certificate.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Kelly Ferguson.
A: Every day is different. Currently during the week I try to wake up early and get in either a boot camp or cardio session before work. Go to work from 8 to 4 and then back to boot camp for an hour or so. After that I usually eat, lift and do cardio…I try to cook, pack meals and my gym bag for the next day in between there somewhere!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I think people would be surprised to know that I drive like a maniac!

Q: Describe Kelly Ferguson in five words.
A: Honest, Loyal, Silly, Hopeful, Mysterious.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I am actually competing in a few weeks at the USA’s in Las Vegas!!! I am extremely nervous but excited to even be able to compete at the national level.(NOTE: Kelly has since done this show and looked amazing)

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you?
A: Sure!!! I would love to be sponsored one day. I can be contacted at fergkelm38@yahoo.com


Q: Kelly, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you for opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment