Saturday, July 31, 2010

Vanessa Prebyl Team Universe Interview




Vanessa Prebyl just missed out on her Pro card at Team Universe. As of this typing she is doing USA's and has a shot at it. It is hard for me to be unbiased about Vanessa, as she is a friend and a writer for this blog. However I have such respect for Vanessa. She is an amazing competitor who is possibly unmatched when it comes to combining beauty, intelligence, physique and attitude in the industry. Whether it comes this year or not, Vanessa is a lock for a Pro card.


Q: Vanessa, thanks for taking the time to do a second interview.
A: Anytime Jason, I am always happy to do interviews.

Q: For those who may have missed the first interview, can you tell us a little about yourself?
A: I am a small-town girl from California. About a year ago I changed my life and emerged myself in to a healthy lifestyle. In November of 2009 I entered into my very first show taking 5th and have been competing ever since. I have always been very active because I lived on a ranch and had to do chores like take care of all of the animals (horse, sheep, cows, chickens, etc.). I also played many sports such as cross-country, track and five years of wrestling. I would consider myself a tom-boy. I also must say I love my life and I love the competitor’s life style. The best feeling is when I step on stage. It is such a rush!

Q: First I must say congrats on 3rd place at Team Universe. I thought you looked incredible.
A: Thank you so much Jason. I work extremely hard and practice posing all the time. All of the women looked so beautiful and I was very proud to step on the stage with such AMAZING women.

Q: As a show itself what did you think of it?
A: The show was great! Steve Weinberger always puts on great shows. This year Team U was held in NJ and of course the area was going through a heat wave at the time. I remember getting off of the air plane and I instantly started sweating. We arrived at 1am and it was in the 90’s. On top of the heat it was also very humid. As a California girl it took me some time to get acclimated to the weather. As for the actual show, it ran very smoothly. The competitor meetings started on time and the different divisions went very fast and it was nicely organized backstage.

Q: How confident were you going in?
A: As I mentioned before, I work very hard so confidence comes with the hard work. I am confident in who I am and what I have been able to achieve with my body. I feel that confidence is something that has to come from within you and only you.

Q: After pre-judging how were you feeling about your chances?
A: I was sooooooo EXCITED I got first call out!!! I was beaming!! I was placed towards the middle so I felt very good about my chances.

Q: How did you feel about the overall package you brought to the stage?
A: I loved it!! I came in to this show with a little more attitude on stage and with a more relaxed presentation. I have also brought up my glutes and delts so I felt I had something to show off.

Q: What part of your physique would you say was the one you have improved the most the last year?
A: Almost a year to the day I started seeing Kim Oddo and my whole life changed. I lost 45 pounds and created the body of my dreams. So not only have I improved my body in every aspect, but my health and confidence has sky rocketed and I feel AMAZING. I truly live the life of my dreams.

Q: Is there one aspect of your physique you thought could have been better or you want to improve on?
A: Haha.. That’s a loaded question for any competitor. There are always improvements to be made. However, I would like to focus on building up my glutes and increasing the size of my rear delts. I feel in the bikini division nice round glutes are a must.

Q: Did your prep go as smoothly as hoped for?
A: Almost too smoothly. My last show I was very lean so in order for me to become a little softer I was able to have my peanut butter and carbs all the way up to the day of show. The added food allowed me to push all of my workouts much harder and I did not become as tired.

Q: Is there a point in the prep process where you say "O.K. I am ready"?
A: This competition prep was short for me because my last show was not too long ago. With that being said, I have been ready and I was just waiting for the show day.

Q: Anything about the prep process that you can say you want to do different next time?
A: I leave all of my preparation up to Kim Oddo. He is an AMAZING nutritionist and I trust all of my prep to him. He really knows what he is doing and what he says is GOLDEN!!!

Q: After a show like that, are you mentally drained at all?
A: Drained NO… More like ENERGIZED!!! I love the stage!! I feel like I light up from the inside out. I actually have a show in two weeks!! USA’s in Las Vegas on July 30-31. Wish me luck!! I am going for my Pro-Card again ;)

Q: The week before a show like that, what were you thinking about? Nervous or excited, or what?
A: A week before the show I am excited and busy making sure all of my appt. are in line such as hair, makeup, tan, nails and travel plans. I am also packing up all of my clothes and food and calling Kim Oddo one last time before my flight takes off to my destination.

Q: How about those last 5 minutes before you hit the stage, what were you thinking about?
A: Oh well this time was a little different from my last shows. As I waited backstage it was very hot, as I mentioned the heat wave, and I was trying not to sweat off my tan. Haha. Well thankfully Jan Tana was backstage to do touch ups. This time I wanted my presentation to be more natural so I really wanted my feelings to show through on the stage. I love the stage and I am very comfortable up there so I wanted to show that to the judges. I did practice all of my poses about 6 or 7 times just to make sure I was hitting them all exactly how I wanted to.

Q: When you are on stage did you try and read the judges reactions at all or just focus on what you are doing?
A: I figure all the work has already been done so I do not try to read the judges reactions. I do focus on what I am doing and my presentation. I also listen to what the judges ask. I already have my number memorized so when they call it I waste no time doing exactly what they want.

Q: What’s the first thing you ate once the show was over?
A: I have the same cheat meal each time I am done with a show, Chicken-cheese quesadilla and red velvet cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory. This meal is probably the worst thing in the world for you, but it covers all the cravings in one meal. After the show my husband and three of my beautiful friends that were also in the show all walked over to the cheesecake factory to celebrate. Good times :)

Q: Were there any other competitors you noticed who really impressed you?
A: I must say the Bikini Division is really starting to make a stand. All of the women looked so good. The women’s bodies are now tighter and more fit with a feminine softness. The competitors I found looked AMAZING and had great presentation are Vanessa Campbell (Bikini Class C) and Nicole Nagrani (Bikini Class B). Both women are from Team Bombshell and you have to give that team credit. All of their girls presented well and were in great shape. I also just checked the placings for the Tampa Pro Bikini show and both placed top 3!!!

Q: Anyone you got to meet or see for the first time that you were excited about?
A: The IFBB Figure women were also competing and I had the opportunity to meet Cheryl “Brownie” Brown. She was very nice and she looked AMAZING. She ended up taking the show.

Q: How important is support from family and friends at a show like this?
A: The support of my husband in KEY. He is AMAZING!!! He helps me with my meals and helps me schedule my traveling plans. He is always there for me and is very positive about me competing.

Q: Have you decided when you will be on stage next?
A: YES!! Two weeks until USA’s in Las Vegas on July 30-31. WhooHoo!! Wish me luck!! There are over 400 people already entered into this National show.

Q: Anyone you want to thank for helping you in the process?
A: I have to thank Kim Oddo, he truly changed my life and I can’t express the gratitude I have for that man. Also, my husband who has always been there for me through the good and bad days.

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: Of course Kim Oddo and the Body by O team http://bodybyo.com/
And an awesome website http://promotingwomen.blogspot.com/
Also I have to give thanks to the NPC for putting on all the shows and supporting the new division of Bikini.

Q: Vanessa you have become a friend and someone I really admire, and as I always say, a lock to earn that Pro card soon. Any last words before you go?
A: I just want to say thank you for always being a friend and being so positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment