Monday, July 5, 2010

Competitors Edge by Vanessa Prebyl

A Weekly Blog By Nationally Ranked Bikini Competitor Vanessa Prebyl

Hello!!! I hope everyone is having a great week so far. This weeks blog will be all about portion control. Yes, I know portion control can be an issue to most people; therefore, I am going to discuss some tips on how to control portion size and know what is considered a portion.

First things first, if you are a competitor you probably already know all about portion control and have a scale for you to weigh out each meal. I know I do. I know exactly what to eat, in what quantity, and at what time. I have a set schedule and routine and follow it day in and day out as I prepare for a show. However, for those who are not competitors, portion control can be difficult, especially in this day and age.

As many of you have probably heard the portions in the United States increased dramatically since the 1980's. The best advice I can give to anyone who wants to eat healthy is to stay away from all fast, processed, and premade foods. If you want to control what you look like you must control what you are eating. I have found an informational that goes over portion changes since the 1980's and what the difference is between portion size and recommended serving size. video.about.com/nutrition/Food-Portion-Control.htm

*** Please remember as bodybuilders or competitors your protein intake will be more than what was in the video; however, it is a good baseline for portion control.

Some tips that are good to keep in mind about eating healthy are as follows:

1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Eat small meals throughout the day ( Do Not Skip Meals and always eat breakfast)
3. Control your portion size ( Please see below for portion sizes)
I. Tip of thumb- 1 oz. of cheese, oil, butter, or salad dressing
II. Size of your fist- Fruits or vegetables
III. Deck of cards- Meat, poultry, or fish
IV. Golf ball- Nuts or dried fruits
V. Hcokey puck- Bagel or bread
VI. Small fist- Pasta, rice, or cereal

If you have any questions please post a comment to this blog or feel free to email me at vanessaprebyl2000@yahoomail.com

Quote of the Week;
"Don't dig your grave with your knife and fork"
-English Proverb


Talk to you all next week and I hope this information helps :-)

-Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment