Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Stacy Wright Interview








This is one of those interviews were I am not only happy to present, but honored. I will often say someone can be a Pro, or might earn that Pro card, in the case of Stacy Wright, I guarantee that Pro card is coming her way. She started competing in 2005 in Figure, but as she said "it was only a matter of time" until she competed in Fitness. She also mentions how people say Fitness is dying. Well we can't let that happen, and it is amazing women like Stacy that will keep fitness going and make it even stronger. And to anyone who sponsors competitors, you can't do better than Stacy. She is a proven success, she is obviously beautiful, she is very mind and very personable. Basically, what you want in someone representing your product. This interview was conducted before the Jr. Nationals, but in that recent show, she took a very respectable 2nd place and soon I expect first place and Pro card for Stacy Wright.









Q: First, Stacy, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: My pleasure! Thank you for the interview!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I'm a 26 year old Registered Nurse and Personal Trainer from Charleston, WV. I have the most amazing parents and family. I couldn't have asked for a better childhood. Growing up, I said I lived in a musical. Everything was always so positive and upbeat. My mom would come in our rooms to wake us up and open the blinds singing "So Let the Sun Shine In". We were in church every time the doors were open. I am so thankful to have been raised in the Word and have the opportunity to say I have a great church family as well.
When I was 19, I took a semester off from college and started working at the Rec Center. My 1st shift there when I was training, I met a guy named Andrew. We had a "get to know you" chat and the rest is history! I've been married almost 6 years to my AMAZING husband, Andrew! He is my best friend and teammate! I couldn't do ANY of this without him!

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Third grade started it all. That year I joined the jump rope team at my elementary school, took gymnastics, and started my cheerleading career. I kept up with cheerleading all the way through college. I've always been one to want to play sports with the boys though! I mean, come on! When I was 16, I got a football in my Easter basket!

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: To be a varsity cheerleader at my high school, they required us to do summer workouts at the football player's gym. I started lifting weights there to get stronger for my tumbling and stunts and LOVED the results! I actually enjoyed the rush I got from working out rather than complaining for having to be there! I NEVER put the weights back down!

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I actually started out very athletic. With cheering and gymnastics, I was already used to tossing my own weight around. Once I touched the iron, I just had a knack for it. I immediately was able to lift and focus on particular muscle groups. Excellent and strict form came natural to me. It didn't take long for my body to respond to this extra stress on the muscles!

Q: Your first show was the 2005 Karen Miller Cardinal Classic. You actually did Figure. What made you decide to compete?
A: I had always loved the women in the muscle magazines but thought there was NO way a little girl like me from West Virginia would be able to do something like that. My husband had previously competed in a couple of bodybuilding competitions so knew what it took. He reassured me this is something I COULD do and so I picked a show as close as possible (as far as location goes) about 6 wks out, ordered a suit... and stepped on stage. It was a stepping stone to me and I was able to talk to some experienced ladies back stage. Michelle Apple won that show and I was in AWE of her physique! Still VERY new to this sport, it confirmed to me that this was what I wanted to do! She had amazing muscle maturity and shape- and learned that No, you don't have to be 21 to look like that! That age is actually a GOOD thing in all those extra years of training do WONDERS if you take care of yourself! I wanted to look like her "when I grew up"!!! And I knew it could be done!

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time? A: Absolutely! I've always been in sports and loved competing. My favorite part of cheerleading wasn't the football games, it was the competition season. I had done a few pageants as well, but it just wasn't really my forte. It was only natural I mix up my competition experience growing up and my love for the stage and performing... mix it together and here I am! Competing in the NPC doing what I love!

Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: I do have to say that I was pretty calm at my first show. I didn't have any expectations so there was really nothing to lose. I did try to pick the brains of the girls backstage and they were so nice to me! I exchanged email with a couple of them and tried to learn as much as I could from them! So I guess the only thing that surprised me was the fact the girls were willing to HELP their competition (not that I was competition to them at the time haha) rather than be snobby, ignore me, or try to bring me down. They were very encouraging and definitely gave me a wonderful first impression of this sport.

Q: For the 2006 Kumite Classic you started competing in Fitness. Why move from Figure to Fitness?
A: It was only a matter of time before I jumped to fitness. That's where I wanted to be to begin with, especially with my background. I just needed to get my feet wet to build up a little bit of confidence before I put myself out there in both physique and routine rounds. Plus, the little experience I had in figure let me network and learn more about how to go about getting a routine together so I could be confident when it was time to step on the fitness stage.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Absolutely! In 2009, I just competed in my 10th show! I'm training and getting ready start my 6th season as a competitor! I'm so excited to see what the future holds!

2010 2nd place NPC Jr. Nationals
2009 4th Place NPC Team Universe
2009 4th Place NPC Junior Nationals Bodybuilding, Fitness, Figure & Bikini Championships
2008 1st Place NPC Collegiate Fitness National Championships
2008 8th Place NPC Junior Nationals Bodybuilding, Fitness, & Figure Championships
2007 1st Place Pittsburgh Bodybuilding, Fitness, and Figure Championships
2007 1st Place Tall & Overall NPC Upper Ohio Valley Bodybuilding, Fitness, & Figure Competition
2006 Fitness & Bikini Universe Competition
2006 6th Place Kumite Classic: Fitness & Bikini America Competition
2005 Kumite Classic: Bikini America Competition
2005 4th Place Karen Miller Cardinal Classic Figure Competition


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Oh boy, this is a loaded question. Haha! It depends on what day or month it is. I train like a bodybuilder so symmetry is big to me. I love the muscle, so when I look at my legs, I think "hey- these are pretty good for a fitness girl".. so maybe think those are the best some days. Other days it's may be my shoulders or back! Overall though I think I get the most compliments on my legs.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: My favorite exercise is the overhead press! Doesn't matter if it's barbell, smith machine, or dumbbells. Just love that shoulder work!

Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Most people don't know what it is I'm doing. Especially wearing scrubs at work, they just think I eat weird food. Until people see my competition pictures they have no idea. For all they know I could be doing pageants in pretty frilly dresses. LOL! The people at the gym LOVE it! They all know when my body starts changing that I have a show coming up. I will have to say there are still MANY people here who don't get it and don't expect to see a muscular woman. One man at the gym always asks about my "bodybuilding meets". It cracks me up but I just let him go. Until people see the actual shows and what goes into fitness, they'll have no idea what it is I do.

Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: The classic response from the ladies "Oh Man! You look GREAT! I need you to get me in shape! What do I have to do to tone up!? I don't want to get big, I just want to TONE UP" They think I'm going to respond and tell them to eat salads and do cardio. When I tell them they aren't eating enough and to lift weights they think I have no clue what I'm doing. (But somehow I managed to get the physique they just said they loved.. hmmm.. how does that work!?) Haha! I just laugh! You can tell the ones who truly want to know what to do. I take as much time as needed and go into as much detail as they want to know on them.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I just wish people could feel how good it feels to take the time to take care of yourself and do what you know you need to do to achieve a look you desire. I always hear people saying "I wish this..." or "I wish that..." I used to think that until I met my husband. "I wished I could look like those girls in the magazine". My misconception was I never thought it would be ME. Well guess what?! It CAN happen! There are a million and one excuses we all have but if you want something you need to go get it rather than sit down and be complacent.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The cost, that's easy. Between suits and shoes and tan and makeup...and TRAVEL.. it definitely puts a dent in the wallet. My husband and I haven't been on a true vacation since our honeymoon. Each year our vacation money is spent on trips to my shows. I'm in NO way complaining- because I'm doing what I love, and my husband loves me on stage. I DO, however, want us to be able to spend all that money to be able to spend more time together on a trip without being so scheduled. That's just because I love my husband so much and enjoy EVERY second I get with him!

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I do have many competitors I admire for many different reasons. They also change from time to time. There are many girls with physiques I admire (in fitness, figure AND bodybuilding). I could list those all day long. Also, many routines I've seen and loved. But as a person, I have to say Liza Hughes is an amazing inspiration and mentor! It is a blessing to have crossed her path and she deserves GREAT respect!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: TACOS or anything Mexican!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Don't listen to the misconceptions of "lifting heavy will make you big". I've been lifting heavy for YEARS and TRYING to get big, and this is as far as I've made it! =) Most women are trying to lose weight, so I try to emphasize how eating frequent small meals and weights actually help you lose weight and keep it off.

Q: You have a great website. Can you give out the address and tell people what they on find there?
A: Absolutely! My website is StacyWright.net. I have a blog I'm frequently updating you can check out. Also, a little bit of history about myself and competitions. I'm also an independent trainer so I have some training packages listed on the website. If you need any information or have ANY questions or comments, feel free to email me at Stacy@StacyWright.net

Q: You are obviously very beautiful. Is fitness modeling something that interests you?
A: Of course! I would love to follow in the footsteps of the great ones like Monica Brant gracing so many magazine covers! I definitely want to become a household name and a great representative for the sport of fitness!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I have a niece and nephew (2 year old twins) that I LOVE to spend time with. They live out of town so I take any opportunity I have to visit with them. Also, anyone that knows me KNOWS I LOVE WVU Mountaineers! So come football and basketball season I'm proudly wearing my blue and gold!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Stacy Wright?
A: Get up at 5am and do cardio, pack my food and head to work. Run around at work for 12-13 hours taking care of my patients and making sure they get the best care I can possibly give them. I drive home, change clothes real quick and head to the gym before they close. Get done lifting weights and head home to cook some food, throw a load of clothes in the washer, eat and watch a quick show with Andrew... then off to bed for another busy day! =)
If it's a day I'm off I sleep until about 8am, do cardio, check my email and siouxcountry.com (love my forums), run errands, do laundry, clean house, and still gotta hit the gym running. Sometimes in there meeting with clients, working on my routine, and replying to emails. My days are busy, but I LOVE my life and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Q: Describe Stacy Wright in five words.
Enthusiastic, Passionate. Positive. Loyal. Classy.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else>
A: I do have some plans for 2010 if everything goes as expected. I plan on doing a warm up show this year both to support fitness and just because I love competing. It will be the Pittsburgh Fitness show May 1st. I then plan on doing the national shows chasing that Pro card until I get it! That would be Jr Nationals in June and Team Universe in July. So keep your fingers crossed for me! I'm putting in the hard work and doing everything I can in hopes that the judges feel I deserve it this year!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I definitely would love for you all to check out my website, StacyWright.net. I love feedback and love helping others both in this sport and to live a healthier lifestyle in general.
There's also a lot of word that fitness is declining! We can't let that happen! To see what you can do for the sport, please check out Let's Save IFBB & NPC Fitness thread on Siouxcountry.com at http://siouxcountry.com/forumdisplay.php?f=198

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Stacy Wright the athlete and competitor?
A: I am always looking for a variety of sponsors within the industry. I have had the awesome opportunity to receive a suit sponsorship from Tamee Marie this year! It has truly been a blessing to work with her and I know I'll represent her suits well on stage! (check her out at http://tameemarie.webs.com/) Anyone interested may contact me at Stacy@StacyWright.net for more information. The package of Stacy Wright is just as I described in my five words above: Enthusiastic. Passionate. Positive. Loyal. and Classy! I give 150% into this sport and what I love and feel as though I'm the type of person people can relate to. I'm no better than anyone and don't want anything handed to me in life... even a pro card! I want to be given something because it's what I DESERVE!

Q: Stacy, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: I just want to thank you so much for taking the time to interview me and for promoting women athletes! I also want to thank all of those who have supported me in my ongoing journey! You'll never know how much it means to me!

1 comment:

  1. I love Stacy. I definitely agree it's only a matter of time before she becomes an IFBB Pro. :)

    ReplyDelete