Friday, June 11, 2010

Janelle Gallo Interview






Before talking with Janelle Gallo about an interview I must admit, I knew little of her. I had heard of her but hadn't seen her. Well I am so glad she agreed to an interview. It allowed me to look up more about her and am so impressed. A beautiful woman with a great physique she is something special. There are certain people whether you see them on stage or even photos of them on stage, that they are almost magnetic, you cant stop starring. Janelle is one of those people. She says she will take 2010 off from competing but be back in 2011. Sad to not see her on stage this year, but gives you something to look forward to because as amazing as she looks now, imagine how incredible she will look a year from now.



Q: First, Janelle, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: It is my pleasure! Thanks for the opportunity

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: First off, I am Italian-American descent. I have 1 sister, and 1 brother older than me. I grew up in Miller Place, NY, which is a small town on Long Island.

Q: Before the gym where you an especially athletic person. Play any sports?
A: Yes! I started off doing dance and gymnastics at 5 years old. I quit when I was about 16. In junior high school, I played softball and in high school I was a cheerleader and by the time I graduated I was co-captain of the team. So I was always in some kind of sport as a kid.

Q: What got you into the gym, and was bodybuilding the goal from day one?
A: Actually, my brother got me into the gym. I started going with him and I loved it! Bodybuilding was not a goal then. I started off doing group exercise classes and the circuit machines. I wouldn't touch free weights! Then, at 16 years old I had a trainer show me free-weights and ever since then I loved it! After that, I started reading up on training and nutrition because I wanted to learn more. I met some powerlifters who showed me squats, deadlifts, and bench press. They saw how strong I was. I also, had friends who competed in bodybuilding and I would go to the shows and watch them. They pushed me to compete at 23 years old because they felt I had the physique for bodybuilding. I tried it once and I was hooked. I loved being on stage and performing. It was then that I found my true sport.

Q: Was weight training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you saw real results?
A: I was always naturally strong. So when I picked up the weights, it came easy. Instead of starting off with 5 or 8lb weights, I was using 10 and 15lbs weights. I always had an athletic build so when I hit the weights, muscle came very easy for me, so I saw results pretty quick.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: My friends always continue to support me when I compete. My family is a different story. They are sort of old school and don't see the reason to compete but that's okay we spend time other ways. They do understand when I diet though and I can't have certain foods that they enjoy.

Q: Was that first show what you expected?
A: Yes, it was pretty much what I expected. I was actually anxious to compete in my first show while others where nervous! I guess I was used to being on stage from when I danced. So, it was not much of a surprise for me.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: See www.bodyspace.com for my profile. It has a list of all competitions I did and how I placed.

Q: What do you consider your best body part, or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: Legs. I always had toned, muscular legs. Even in nursery school I had them! They were like tree stumps. When I look back to the picture I laugh.

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love training legs. Squats are my favorite. Also, I like training abs.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: OFFSEASON: Cardio: 5 days a week, 1hour
Monday: Chest/abs
Tuesday: Back
Wednesday: Legs/Abs (Pilates)
Thursday: Shoulders
Friday: Biceps/Triceps/Abs
**I pretty much lift heavy with 8-12 reps**
Diet is high protein such as eggwhites, turkey, chicken, and fish (tuna or salmon), low carbs (rice cakes, sweet potato brown rice, oatmeal) in 3 meals, and good fats such as olive oil and almonds.
ONSEASON: Cardio 2-21/2 hrs a day (5-6 days)
Lifting is the same schedule but I put in supersets, drop-sets, and high reps with my bodyparts.
Diet is 3 days low carb, high protein, good fats, and 3 days no carbs, high protein, high good fats (ketogenic).

Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common response? More positive or negative?
A: Mostly positive. I get comments like "Wow! Look at your muscles!" and "I want arms like yours!" or "You look great!"

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are sick of hearing?
A: I have to say, the question "Do you work out?" is annoying. It is kind of like a stupid question. People know the answer so why ask it?

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female bodybuilders, or the thing you wish people understood?
A: I think people need to understand that it is not "manly" to be muscular. You can still have a muscular physique and look feminine. People need to realize that it is a lot of work and dedication to look this way.

Q: Someone says "women should not be that muscular". How do you respond?
A: I would just tell them that they are entitled to their opinion but to respect my opinion that I like to have strong, feminine, muscular physique and there is nothing wrong with that. Women come in all shapes and sizes.

Q: Do you feel muscular women are more accepted by society today then five years ago?
A: Absolutely! I see more and more women wanting to pick up the weights and train to have toned physiques. We are seeing more ads in the magazines with women who have more muscle now than even 20 years ago. It's great!

Q: What is it going to take for the women in the sport to start getting the coverage and credit that the men get?
A: I always say strength in numbers. I hear so many women complain about the women in bodybuilding not getting enough coverage. We need to group together and have the top officials here our voice. Just sitting back and complaining is not going to help. We need to get together and contact our district chairperson of the federation and tell them how we feel. Raising money with fundraisers to help support the sport would help. This is how Tanji Johnson helped save fitness. We need to be active.

Q: Do you have any favorite bodybuilders or any you admire?
A: Corey Everson, Lenda Murray, and Valentina Chepiga. They have such nice classic, sleek but muscular physiques.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Yes, a few. I would say trail mix, dark chocolate, and chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part of competing is being up on the stage and doing my routine. I love being there to show off my hard work and just have fun! The worst part of competing is the brutal diet. You are starving and weak and don't feel strong and miss your favorite foods!

Q: If another woman old you she wanted to start bodybuilding, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Have patience. Rome wasn't built in a day and either will your physique. It takes time to build muscle. Also, you have to stay dedicated and work hard. It doesn't come easy and everything that you do (diet, training), reflects on your physique.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love playing my electric guitar. It is so challenging and I never get bored with it. Also, I love going to the beach, out to dinner with friends, and spending quality time with my fiance.

Q: Describe a typical day in the life of Janelle Gallo.
A: I get up every morning at 4:45am Monday-Friday. I train my first client at 6:30am. I usually train clients from 6:30am to 12pm. If I get a break then I do my cardio. At 12 I eat lunch and then go to train with the weights at 1pm. I then go around and run errands, check e-mails, etc. I go back to work around 3 or 4 pm to train clients until about 7 or 8. I also do some nutrition counseling at that time to. On Saturdays, I wake up at 5:30 and train clients until about 11AM. It is then I do yoga and call it a day. I then go home and do laundry, clean my apartment and spend some time with family or friends on Saturday night. Sunday is a complete day off from training and work. I sleep to whatever time I want do food shopping and spend time with my fiance, Chris. I love Sundays!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I am sooo sensitive! My feelings are hurt so easily! Also, if I am frustrated and can't do something I get so upset! On the other hand, I am a overachiever and perfectionist in everything I do. It can be good or bad.

Q: Describe Janelle Gallo in five words.
A: Very outgoing, Compassionate, Perfectionist, Hard-working, and Reliable.

Q: Any set plans for 2010 as far as competing or anything else?
A: Going to take this year off from competing. Haven't taken a break since 2005. My body needs a rest from competing but I will continue to train hard like I always do! Probably come back and do 2011 Team Universe show.

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: I would like to thank my trainer, Jerry Scalesse (Mr. Universe 1987) and my nutritionist John O'reagan for helping me through the process of training and competing. They are both a great support system for me and I have learned alot about training and nutrition from them. Also, my fiance, Chris Riegger. He is the best! Always there for me and is the love of my life forever!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors. IF so, how can they contact you?
A: Definitely! You can contact me via e-mail at janelleg@optonline.net or bodyspace.com



Q: Again, Janelle, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thanks again for sitting down with me and letting me have this interview so people can get to know the real me. It was a pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment