Friday, April 23, 2010

Vanessa Prebyl Emerald Cup Interview




I could sit here and type forever about Vanessa Prebyl. Vanessa was recomended to me awhile back as someone to seek out for an interview. I found her on Facebook and was amazed. Such a beautiful woman, and what an incredible physique. I asked her about an interview and she said yes. Reading the interview and getting to communicate with her made me a fan of not just Vanessa the competitor, but Vanessa the person. That is why I asked her to write a weekly column for my blog. Which she does, called Competitors Edge. In a short time I went from not knowing her, to her being on of my favorite people in the industry. I am impressed with the physique like I said, but it is Vanessa the person who really shines. Vanessa is to me, a lock to earn her Pro card, and soon. She took a step in that direction with an impressive 4th place finish at the Emerald Cup against an incredible field of competitors. To any sponsors out there, please look into Vanessa. She is everything you want. Beautiful, great physique, hard worker, dedicated, knowledgeable, loves to talk about the sport, loves to help. To me, Vanessa is the IDEAL woman to represent your products.





Q: Vanessa, tanks for taking the time out to do a second interview.
A: Of course. I am always honored and happy do do interviews.

Q: For those who may have missed the first interview, can you tell a little about yourself.
A: I am a small-town California girl that started competing in November 2009. I have always been very active throughout my life because I lived on a ranch and rode horses and had to do chores like take care of all of the animals (horses, sheep, cows, chickens, etc.). I also played many sports such as cross-country, track, and five years of wrestling. I would consider myself a jock and kind of a tom-boy. So it is so EXCITING to compete in bikini competitions because I get to get all dolled-up. :-)

Q: Congrats on your 4th place finish against an incredible field of competitors at the Emerald Cup. How did you feel about the show overall?
A: Thank you so much! The Emerald Cup was my best show to-date. My body's conditioning came in perfectly and I now know the areas I need to work on for my next show. The Emerald Cup was and is one of the BEST shows in the nation. The promoters Craig and Elaine were amazing and tended to every need. The promoters even set the show up so that prejudging and finals were back-to-back which was so AMAZING not to have to wait six hours and have to go back on stage. The promoters gave all of the girls tank tops, an Emerald pin, BSN dessert protein powder, and a bag of goodies at check-in. I really couldn't carry it all!! Ha-ha. Also, at the show they had a professional make-up artist who was providing free make-up finished provided by the promoters.

Q: DO you walk away saying "I am happy with how I did." or "What do I ahve to do to win next time?"
A: Honestly, I walked away thinking both. I am extrememly happy of the improvements I ahve amde. I was spot-on with my presentation and I did everything to my very best. I wouldn't ahve changed a thing. However, there is always room for improvement and if you know me, or if you don't... you will now LOL> I love a challenge. I love to see how far I can push myself, because when you do win, you will know YOU did it.

Q: After pre-judging how were you feeling about your chances?
A: During pre-judging, I walked out and did my individual poses and I hit them all perfectly. I was so excited because I am now in the best shape I have ever been in. Then it was time for call outs. First call out, the head judge started calling out numbers, I heard #17, #20, #22, #25 (Aaaahhhh that's ME!!). I walked to the front of the stage and hit my best pose with a huge smile on my face :-). I scanned all of the eight judges and thanked each one of them in my mind for giving me the opportunity to do a pose down with the top 5 girls at one of the best shows in the nation. During comparisons I was moved to the middle for comparisons. I was even more excited! After a few more front and back poses, the head judge told us to go back into our line-up and file off stage.

Q: You looked amazing!! How did you feel about the overall package you brought to the stage?
A: I am very happy and proud of my improvements. I actually impressed myself LOL. It is truly amazing to know that you can change your body with hard work, dedication, and passion. In regards to my overall package, I brought my "A" game. I had practiced and practiced and put it all out there on the stage.

Q: What part of your physique would you say made the biggest improvements from last time?
A: I made improvements on my calves, quads, arms, lower abs, glutes, and hamstrings. Wow, that actually is a lot now that I think of it.

Q: Was there one aspect of your physique you thought could have been better or you want to improve on for next time?
A: I only need to work on one aspect of my body and that is the BOOTAY! Everything else I just need to maintain, but the butt is what I will be focusing on for the ext 11 weeks until the Team-U competition. I am going to work it until it hurts, and when it hurts, I will squeeze it some more, and when I'm tired, I will work it some more, and when I feel I have nothing left, guess what...... I WILL WORK IT EVEN HARDER.

Q: Was your prep for this show any different than past shows?
A: Yes, my prep for this show was very different. I was much leaner to start off so my meal plan allowed for much more foods. I also started to become too muscular so I had to stop increasing my weights. I also started to work my glutes three times a week.

Q: Is there a point in the prep process where you say "OK, I am ready."
A: I was ready about a week out from the show. I felt good and my body was responding and coming in perfectly. I actually had to worry about becoming too lean or showing too much muscle separation and abs.

Q: Anything about the prep process you want to do different next time?
A: I leave that up to y trainer Kim Oddo. He is an AMAZING nutritionist and trainer.



Q: After a show like that, is it a mental let down at all, now that the process is over?
A: I am just getting started. I am going to be working for my pro card at Team-U which is in 11 weeks. So there is no real down time. I am taking about 7 days mentally to relax. I wills till be doing my cardio and weight training; however, for these 7 days I am going to relax with it and not train too intense. BUT starting next week it is "GO TIME" with my intensity back at 110%

Q: The week before a show like that, what are you thinking about? Nervous, scared, or what?
A: The week before a big show is always an exciting time. Even though you are eating tilapia and pretty much no carbs and your cardio is increased to two 45 minute sessions and you are unbelievably tired, oddly the excitement of knowing the show is just days away gives you the energy to push through. At a week out I do not feel nervous, because I have already done all of my prep work.

Q: How about those last 5 minutes before you hit the stage? What are you thinking about?
A: Haha thinking??? I remember my first show. I wasn't thinking at all. I went on auto pilot. However, now that I feel more comfortable on stage the 5 minutes before I go on stage kind of go like this:
I am back stage with all of the girls getting ready. I find a mirror and check my hair, make-up, re-apply my lip liner, lip gloss, and I ask one of my fellow Angels to check my tan to make sure everything is even. Once that is done, I look in the mirror and give myself my best smile and practice all of my poses at least twice. Usually by then one of the workers at the show call for Bikini Short Class to line-up to go on stage. That is when I get EXCITED! All the girls line up in numerical order and start heading for the stage. As the ladies get introduced one at a time and they all do their poses I slowly move forward toward the stairs leading up to the stage. I watch the girls and listen to the instructions of what pattern the promoters would like us to walk and do our poses. I make sure I know EXACTLY what they want. Once I make it to the steps leading up to the stage there are only 4 girls ahead of me. I can now see the judges and the front part of the audience. I immediately light-up and I can feel goose bumps/tingles all over my body. I smile at the audience, excited to show them how hard I have worked. Now there is only one girl in front of me and she starts off onto the stage. I watch her out of my peripheral and stand attentive listening for the announcer to say my name. "and next is Vanessa Prebyl from Lompoc, California..." I step out into the bright lights almost blinded by them and the overwhelming excitement. I smile and know this is what all the ahrd work was for. It is now or never so I give it my ALL.

Q: When you are on stage, do you try and read the judges reactions at all or just focus on what you are doing?
A: I always scan the judges and the audience to make sure they know I am her for THEM. I don't try to read their reactions because any reaction is a good reaction. If they are looking at you and keep looking at you, that is a GOOD thing. I do maintain my focus, because the judges really dislike when they have to ask twice for anything.

Q: What's the first thing you ate once it was over?
A: The very fist thing I ate was 15 almonds and a 4oz yam because that is what I had in my lunch box; however, that was just to hold me over for my dinner. My husband and I went to the Cheesecake Factory and I had my favorite meal that I have been wanting since November. I ordered the chicken quesadilla and the red velvet cheesecake. Wow it was so rich I had to take the rest away in a to-go bag. It was yummy in my tummy :-).

Q: Were there any other competitors you noticed who really impressed you?
A: Actually one of my fellow competitor Angel, Khay Rosemond impressed me. I hadn't seen Khay since November and I didn't even recognize her at first. She went to hug me when I first got backstage and I had to do a double-take. She has made AMAZING improvements and she should be very proud. I think she brought a complete package to the Emerald Cup. She looked GREAT.

Q: Anyone you got to meet or see for the first time that you were excited about?
A: I was excited to see Trish and Branch Warren. I was checking in at the host hotel with my husband and they were right behind us. They looked AMAZING, just as I would expect Pros to look.

Q: How important is support from family and friends at a show like this?
A: Support from my husband is KEY along with Kim Oddo's. I would not be the woman I am today or the competitor I am today without these two men. My husband is AMAZING!! He does all of the food preparation and house cleaning when I am preparing for a show. I don't even have to ask. He just steps-up to the task and knows how hard I am working and how tired I am. As for Kim, he is very supportive. Kim knows exactly what to say and when to say it to get your butt in gear. He is always positive and always is thinking of ways to improve your body so that if you think you are great now, he will make your body even BETTER. I am so blessed to have two AMAZING men in my life.

Q: Where would you rank this show in your achievements in the sport?
A: I would rank this show as my top achievement so far. The competition was fierce and all of the girls brought their A game. I too brought my best body and presentation to date and am very proud to have done so well.

Q: You have decided when you will be on stage next?
A: YES!!! Team-U Baby!!! July 10th!!! I am 11 weeks out and will be working for my Pro card :-)

Q: Anyone you want to thank for helping you in the process?
A: I would like to thank my loving and supportive husband, Kim Oddo for believing in me and what I can do, all of my fellow Angel competitors, and everyone that have posted positive and supportive comments on my Facebook and email.

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: Kim Oddo from www.bodybyo.com and all of his amazing Angels!!!
Also for all of you competitors out there, check out my weekly blog Competitors Edge on the website www.promotingwomen.blogspot.com.

Q: Looking for any sponsors? If so what are they getting in Vanessa Prebyl the athlete and competitor?
A: Sponsors!! I would love to represent a healthy way of living and the fitness lifestyle. I am a very hard worker. I love talking to people about healthy and fitness. It would be an honor to know I was contributing to the sport of Bikini competitions by promoting and educating women of this amazing sport, just as I do in my weekly blog Competitors Edge at www.promotingwomen.blogspot.com. What a sponsor would get out of Vanessa Prebyl the athlete and competitor is a woman that will represent their product and the sport with the respect and prestige that it should be represented. Sponsors may contact me through my Facebook page, Bodyspace page, or email at vanessaprebyl2000@yahoo.com.

Q: Vanessa again, you looked amazing. Any last words before you go?
A: I would just like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to do another interview and providing a great website that promotes women competitors in such an AMAZING light.

No comments:

Post a Comment