Sunday, April 25, 2010

Susan Crawford Interview




Susan Crawford did not start training till 43. Proof you don't have to be 20 to start training and look amazing, because in her first competition Susan did look amazing. She will be competing this year and no doubt she will look even more amazing. Here is a chance to learn a little more about Susan and then look forward to following her as she continues to improve and rock the stage.


Q: First Susan, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you Jason for your interest and support !!!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I'm 44 years old, married to a wonderful man and have 2 wonderful daughters aged 15 and 10. I live in a small town in Ontario, Canada.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I started working out July 2008. Prior to that I would not have considered my self to be an athlete at all !!.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I was in my forties and decided that it was time to do something for me. My girls were at the age where they we becoming more self reliant. I heard of a great personal trainer in our town and had seen the results of some of her clients. So I gave her a call !!!...one of the best thing I have ever done.!!!

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?.
A: Honestly I saw changes to my physique with a few weeks. That was so encouraging and empowering !!

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and what made you decide to compete?
A: My trainer was preparing for a competition in the fall of 2008. Experiencing her excitement and dedication was addictive. I decided in December 2008 that I was going to compete in the spring of 2009.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: My family and friends were completely supportive. I could not have done it without their love. The kids were kind enough to hide the treats and my husband was there to assist in daily running of our lives.

Q: You did your first competition. What was it like? How did it feel? Were you nervous, scared, excited?
A: My first and only competition to date was April 2009. I truly did not know what to expect. It was an amazing experience. I met some great athletes and have created some new friendships. I didn't realize how nervous I was until I stood on stage for the first time. But hearing my husband and children cheering me on relieved some of the nerves. Oh, by the way I placed second !!!. I plan on competing again in June 2010.

Q: What did competing teach you about yourself?
A: That goals are attainable. Discipline and hard work filters down to other aspect of your life. A healthy life style truly has a ripple effect. My girls have become very aware of the foods they eat and how their bodies respond to them. They talk in terms of proteins and healthy carbs.

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: My smile !!!. No seriously I would say that my shoulders are developing well. I also have very developed calves.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I'd have to say shoulders. I have a love hate relationship with legs. Due to a long standing hamstring issue it is the hardest routine but the results are well worth it.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: My normal diet consists of lots of protein and vegetables. I train 4 days a week with my trainer and try to get at least one or two workouts in at home. Pre contest I up the intervals to shed body fat and train twice a day 6 days a week. My diets becomes more strict and very clean.

Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?.
A: Everyone is very positive and shocked that I would have attempted this for the first time at my age. When they see my contest photos they are in awe, that makes me giggle.

Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Everyone assumes that you starve yourself. That is so not the case. I eat constantly, every 2-3 hours. The difference is that I'm eating clean foods.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: People think that you are going to get huge muscles by lifting heavy or the opposite of that in that they'll see results with the itty bitty weights.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I admire all women who work hard at being active and living a clean and healthy life style.

Q: Have you ever or would you ever consider moving to Figure?
A: Funny you should ask that as my next goal is to compete in Figure !!!

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part is the regiment and structure; that can also be the worst part.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Belgian Cookies !!!. After my last competition there were a dozen waiting for me !!!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Depending on her knowledge, I'd recommend getting a trainer.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Life is pretty busy as both of my girls dance competitively and are active in sports. However when the opportunity arises I really enjoy golfing with my husband.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Perhaps that I started training at the age of 43.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: My next goal is to compete in June 2010 in Figure. Wish me luck !!!

Q: Susan, again, thanks so much for doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment