Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lisa Cross Interview






Lisa Cross only recently began competing, but has the physique of someone who has been doing it a long time. In fact, she has been training for awhile. She didn't want to get on stage until she knew she would do herself justice. She has done that for sure. A beautiful woman with a great physique, Lisa has all it takes to go far in the industry. So for those who do not know Lisa, her is a chance to learn a little bit about her, and a little bit more of an amazing woman




Q: First, Lisa, I want to thank you for taking the time out to do this.
A: No problem. It is nice to speak to you and i am always happy to share a bit of my life with my fans.

Q:Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am from England and was born in the north of England, near Manchester. All of my family still live there but I now live in the south west of England and have lived there for about 5 years. I originally moved down to the south because of work but like living there as I live near the beach and the weather is much better.

Q: Before bodybuilding, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: I have always been sporty and I have always been a big sports fan. I have always seemed to have a particular aptitude for sport and have always loved the challenges that playing sports presents. In the past I have even completed several marathons and half marathons, just to prove to myself that I could do it.

Q; What initially got you into the gym and was bodybuilding the goal from day one?
A: I initially started going to the gym when I was at university and my main incentive was just general fitness. For a long time I didn't do any weight training and just used to spend hours doing cardio with rock music blasting out on my walkman!

Q: Was weight training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you saw results?
A: I started weight training when I went to live in Japan. Looking back I immediately loved the feeling of lifting weights and the effect it had on my body and how it made me feel. It was about the same time that I started to learn about nutrition. As a result of weight training and eating better I started to see changes in my body almost immediately . I think though that I quickly became addicted to feeling of lifting heavier and harder and pushing yourself each time you went into the gym. I found to be motivated and focused and apply myself each time I went into the gym and this mind set helped me to reap the benefits of weight training.

Q: What made you decide to compete?
A: I had been training for quite a long time before I even considered competing. Over the years I have been approached several times and been urged to compete but I never felt ready. I only wanted to step on stage when I felt myself to be at a level whereby I did myself justice. As such I never had any overwhelming desire to compete but now that I have I am glad that I have competed as competing presents a whole new range of challenges.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported?
A: I have only just started to compete. I received a lot of support from friends despite the fact that they know very little about body building and have received great support from friends at the gyms where I train.

Q: Was the first competition what you expected or did anything surprise you?
A: My first competition was nothing like I expected but to be honest I didn't really know what to expect and as such I was surprised just how calm I was. Needless to say my first competition was a massive learning curve. I competed in my second show a week later and made sure I didn't repeat the mistakes which was a good job as my second show ever was the NABBA Universe and the line up was a very high level.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: As I stated previously I only started competing in 2009 and this is my contest history to date:
*NABBA England - 2nd place
*NABBA Universe - 2nd place
*Hercules show (UKBFF Final qualifier) - 1st place

Q: Do you keep track of measurements or best lifts?
A: I do keep track of my measurements and lifts but I do not obsess about them and depending upon what I am trying to achieve regarding my training subsequently reflects in what I am able to lift. I have just started my off season for 2010 and am weighing 172lbs, my biceps are 15" and my thighs are 25".
I bench 180k for about 2 to 3 reps and have squatted over 200k - although at present for legs I am training with high intensity and high reps as I am getting over a back injury and so want to keep the weights lower.
I have also pulled a 9.5 ton double decker bus for 70 metres at a charity event

Q: What do you consider your best bodypart or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: Personally my favourite body part is my legs as I think that they set can set you out from the crowd. When I see a female body builder with what I consider to be good legs I am always impressed and they are also my favourite body part to train.

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train?
A: As i stated above legs are my favourite body part to train. You know when you have a had a good leg session when you have to picked up off the floor and it takes about a week for you to be able to manage stairs again.

Q: Can you share your normal training routine.
A: I don't want to bore you all by going into the finite detail of my training and diet. Needless to say every time I enter the gym I am focused and train with maximum intensity and good form. I can't stress enough the importance of nutrition and am constantly trying to refine my diet. My main problem with regards my diet is not trying to eat clean but is eating enough. My coach is always telling me I need to eat more but I don't like feeling bloated.
Contest prep is a whole different ball game and is constantly changing and being reviewed as you get closer to your competition. In short you are always learning about your body and pushing yourself.


Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part of competing is seeing how far you can push your body. It becomes very much a personal challenge and mental tenacity.
The worst part is that despite being in your best condition, you feel like crap and therefore maybe don't enjoy it as much as you could.

Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: The reactions I get largely depend upon where I am in the world. In large I get a much more positive reaction to my physique when I am in the states. Americans are much more likely to stop you in the street and say something complimentary. Being British though I do get embarrassed and am usually at a loss as to how to react. I have also had some pretty horrible and hateful things said to me so I have learned long ago not to care what people think about my physique. The important thing is that I am happy with myself.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I still have to chuckle when people ask me in all seriousness whether I train.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female bodybuilders or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That is a difficult one to answer as I have met quite a few female body builders and although I think they are all great women, they are all very different and very much individuals. I think people get too hung up on female body builders physiques, thereby making too many assumptions and forgetting that they are all very much individuals. I think people tend to label us just one humongous group and don't consider that there tends to be much more to us than just being strong women who lift weights.

Q: Are muscular women more or less accepted by society than maybe, five years ago?
A: I cant see how anything has changed within the space of 5 years as female body building is not promoted enough and so there is very little opportunity to change general perceptions.

Q: Do you ever see women in the sport getting more coverage and respect?
A: Even though I am new to the sport I honestly cant see the situation changing with regards female body building. I think at present it is in the worst position it has ever been in and I am constantly told by people in the body building world that the body building federations have very little interest in promoting female body building and are trying to phase it out. At the end of the day they think of it in terms of a business and they see that the figure classes attract many more competitors. Personally I think they confuse this with popularity and are swayed by quantity rather than quality. I think that it is right that there should be figure categories and I have a lot of time for the figure competitors but it does not compare to female body building. That is just my personal opinion.

Q: Are there any bodybuilders you are a fan of?
A: My all time favourite female body builder is Lenda Murray. I remember the first time I saw a video of her posing and was mesmerised. I also think there are some amazing women competing on the Olympia stage at the moment such as Heather Armbrust and Debi Laszewski. This brings me back to the previous question. These women are at the pinnacle of their chosen sport and their dedication and sacrifice and hard work should be rewarded.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: My favourite cheat food is ice cream.

Q: You also have a website. Can you give out the address and tell people what they can find there?
A: My website is fbblisacross.com - at my website you can read my blog which chronicles my life on a daily basis. You can also see a wide array of photos and videos some of which show me in the gym. Others are on location and some are more intimate. The photos have been taken over the course of my fist year of competition and show the progress I have made this year. I also have a free weekly members webcam where I love to interact with fans

Q; If another woman told you she wanted to start bodybuilding, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: The best piece of advice I was given at the outset was to read as much as I could about training and nutrition so that you are not wasting your time and know why you are doing what you are doing.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: When I am not training I love to read and walk my dog on the beach. If I go out I like to go to live events such as rock concerts, rugby matches or the ballet and if I am staying in, I tend to just watch the comedy channel.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Lisa Cross.
A: A typical day revolves around getting all my meals in, going training, having an afternoon nap and working at the computer. Surprisingly that can take up my whole day.

Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician?
A: As my favourite films are all mafia films such as the Godfather trilogy, Scarface and Goodfellas, I would have to say that Al Pacino in his younger days was my favourite actor. I think he tends to overact nowadays. My favourite TV show is South Park but when I comes to favourite group I don't think I could choose - there are so many great rock and heavy metal groups. Outside of rock though I am a massive fan of Freddie mercury and Elvis Presley - they are both so charismatic and unique.

Q: Describe Lisa Cross in five words.
A: C - complicated
R - randy
O - overt
S - strong
S - shocking

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I speak Japanese and Russian

Q: Any set plans as far as competing?
A: My plans for competing as far as this year is concerned is the British Finals. I have already qualified and they will be held in October.

Q: Anything you want to plug or promote?
A: I would like to let people know that I will be travelling to the FIBO expo in Essen, Germany in April this year and will be at the Body Power expo in Birmingham, England in May this year. If you see me there make sure you come over and say HI.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors?
A: At present I am supported by CNP and Leisure Lee Fitness.

Q; Lisa, again, thanks for taking the time to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment