Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kellie Davis Interview




Talk about pressure. Try writing out an interview for a very talented writer. That is just what Kellie Davis is, is a talented writer. Oh, and by the way, she is a beautiful woman and has an amazing physique as well. In just her second show she qualified for Nationals, and there is every reason to believe she is going to just keep getting better. But there is so much more to Kellie than the obvious visual. She is intelligent and a very kind woman. She has offered me words of encouragement in my training, and offered advice and help in some of my writing ideas. Simply put, Kellie is the kind of woman anyone who follows this sport should support. I am so happy Kellie did an interview, because she is someone I want more people to know about. So please read and take the opportunity to know more about her. I promise, you will be impressed.



Q: First Kellie, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for this opportunity.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I was born in Colorado, but grew up in Fort Myers, FL. My family and I just recently moved to Arizona. I am married with two young children and work as a freelance writer.

Q; Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I was an athlete my whole life. I grew up playing softball, running track, cheerleading; you name it, I tried it. Once I graduated high school, I turned in my athletic gear and picked up the weights.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I didn't play sports in college, and needed to sooth my competitive nature. I turned to the gym as a means to keep my body in shape while pushing myself to new heights.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Yes. Even in middle school I would read Arnold training books. It was something I always studied. In college I saw results within the first six months. I went from a twiggy ectomorph to a solid athletic type. However, I knew nothing about nutrition and felt that being in the gym granted me the rights to eat whatever I wanted.

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and what made you decide to compete?
A: When I was younger, I always admired figure athletes and read about them any chance I could. However, I thought I was not cut out to join the elite sport. After I had my second child, I gained a significant amount of weight due to a difficult pregnancy. I carried the weight around for two years and then decided enough was enough. On my 29th birthday, I set a goal to be in the best shape of my life by the age of 30, which was October of 2009. By January 1st, 2009, I knew I wanted to compete. I began training hard in February and was up on the NPC stage for the first time by May of last year. I competed in my second show this past November and qualified for Nationals. A year ago, I honestly never thought I would be where I am today.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: My friends were all for it. However, my parents were skeptical, but now totally support me. My husband has been supportive throughout, despite to tough diet and grueling schedule.

Q; Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: My first show was a very small local show. I didn't know what to expect and was surprised at how few competitors were on stage. However, my second show was huge and I was up on stage with 12 equally powerful women. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*May 30 2009- NPC Gulf Coast Championship- Fort Myers, FL- 4th place
*November 28 2009- NPC Western Regionals- Mesa, AZ- 3rd Place

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I would have to say my glutes and hamstrings. It took a lot of work to bring them up for my show and I always get compliments on how powerful they appear.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: I love training shoulders. I have a naturally small upper body, so watching the changes from training my shoulders always inspires me to push harder.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I am one of the lucky few who is naturally lean. Off season, I eat a good variety of fish, chicken, lean red meat, and pork for protein. Tons of fresh fruits and veggies. For carbs, I stick with sweet potatoes and brown rice. I do allow more cheats off season. My contest diet consists of the same food, just less of them and not as many cheats.
As far as training, I go hard all year long. Right now I am training each body part twice a week. I do minimal cardio because I am an ectomorph and lose muscle quickly. I season, I train the same up until 6 weeks out. I then switch to half body routines, adding in some metabolic circuits. Depending upon how lean I am, I add in sprints once a week. At four weeks out, I add in sprints twice a week and switch to full body works.

Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: It's always positive. Most people react by saying, "Oh, so that's why you are in such great shape." I am proud of what I do. I think the sport is not commonly known, so many people don't ask about it.

Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I never get sick of hearing comments. I rarely hear negative ones. I love when women in the gym tell their trainers they want to look like me. I love talking to women and watching them change their lives through fitness. I understand the struggle and empathize with those trying to lose weight. I never tire of giving others hope.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women you train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That it isn't possible for women to make great gains, grow lean muscle, and lift heavy. So many women are afraid to pick up weights. I also think that many who don't understand the sport assume that women who train take some sort of enhancing supplements, whether legal or otherwise. In all honesty, it doesn't bother me because I know the truth and I know how hard I work to get to where I am.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part is the friendships. You meet so many amazing women from all over when you are backstage. I love getting up on stage with a group of girls and cheering them on even if they are standing right next to me. The worst part is those last few weeks of dieting. Food somehow humanizes and begins having conversations with you :)

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire
A: Who don't I admire? Of course, the pros like Heather Mae French, Erin Sterns, and Monica Brant. But, I have met so many amazing women along the way that truly are my inspiration. Some of the stories these women have from overcoming illness, to overcoming heartache and loss. Behind every amazing figure is an even more amazing heart and that is what keeps me going.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Yes, I love fresh baked cookies, and everyone knows it.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: I am always one to scoop up a new athlete and provide her with guidance. The largest piece of advice is believe in the process because the end result is never what you expected.It's always far better. That's what makes this sport so addicting.

Q: You also do some freelance writing. Can you talk about what you write about, where it may have been see, and things like that?
A: Most of what I do is ghostwriting web content for others. I write articles, blogs, and website content-- but, you don't see my name. One of my current clients is a former pro soccer player turned personal trainers. I love using my training knowledge in my work. The work I am most proud of is that for Olesya Novik's site, Oliciouslife.com. I am a columnist for her site and write articles pertaining to family life and relationships.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I spend as much time as I can with my family. We love hiking, going to the arcade, and all of us are huge movie buffs. I have a deep passion for classic literature and read as much as I can.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Kellie Davis.
A: Ha! Well, it's not that exciting. I wake up, get the kids ready, eat breakfast, and get to work. I work from home and half the week my son is with me. I juggle spending time with him while meeting deadlines. I split my workouts between morning and night so I never get bored of the same crowd. I train six days a week. The rest of my day consists of chores, playing with my kiddos, and lots of cooking.


Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I am a total introvert. I am naturally very quiet and keep to myself. Many people feel that I am standoffish, but I am just quiet by nature. I think that's what makes me a great writer. I am the one who is always listening and observing.

Q: Any favorite actors or movies or anything?
A: I have never been one to pick favorites. I love Johnny Depp, Kevin Spacey, and Kevin Kline. My husband and I watch the Office religiously, and my music tastes change with my mood.

Q: Describe Kellie Davis in five words
A: Witty, Quiet, Encouraging, Devoted, Determined.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I am hoping to compete again in July at the Arizona Open. I am also thinking of competing in Border States in October. I would love to do Nationals this year, but they are all very early dates. I may have to wait until next year.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: If you haven't been there already, check out Olesya Novik's site www.Oliciouslife.com and read some of my articles.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Kellie the athlete and competitor?
A: I think it is every girl's dream to have sponsors. So, of course. They are getting someone who has total determination and drive; who always meets and exceeds expectations, and is stickler for deadlines. I think I really appeal to the average woman because I am her. I live a normal life outside of my sport. I can be reached via email at kge.davis@gmail.com.

Q: Kellie, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you, Jason. Just keep pushing. If you love something, go after it and never look back.

No comments:

Post a Comment