Friday, April 16, 2010

Jillian Reville Interview







Several times you have read me write about how I think someone can and may be a Pro one day. Rarely have I said I am sure someone will earn a Pro card. In the case of Jillian Reville I am sure she will. Jillian has an amazing physique, highlighted by some of the best shoulders in the sport. She has a great stage presence, and on top of that, they don't come much more beautiful. To look like she does is hard enough, but try doing it while working a crazy job like working on Wall Street. Jillian gets better every time she is on stage. Already two great showings this year. finishing 8th at the Arnold Amateurs in a very tough field, and 2nd at the Steve Stone Metropolitan in, again, a very tough field. So as good as she looks now, imagine, the next show, then imagine next year. I had heard so many good things from so many people about Jillian, so I had to ask her to do an interview, and was so happy she said yes. So now is one of the times I am most happy. When I get to introduce an amazing woman to people who may not know her, and for the ones that do know her, help them know her a little bit more.




Q: First, Jillian, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Sure! I was happy you asked me! I think what your doing for us is great! It's nice to hear about everyone's lives! Everyone's story is so different and so interesting.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I grew up i Ridgefield, Connecticut. I am the oldest child, (just my brother and I). He is three years younger. My parents still live in the same house I grew up in.
I had lived in New York City for almost five years. Be fore moving to New York, I lived in San Diego for a few years. I loved the weather out there; but it was really to far away from my family.

Q: Before you started training, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: Yep, I was a competitive swimmer growing up. I swam for a USS Team year round from age 6 to 17. I also swam for various summer clubs and my high schools swim team. I was the Captain my senior year. Once I turned 15 I started to lifeguard and coach during the summers. When I got out of college I coached for my high school's swim teams, girls and boys seasons, while also coaching for the USS team in my hometown.
When I was younger, I played soccer and baseball until swimming took over. :-)

Q: What initially led you to the gym?
A: Well, I had always been in great shape growing up, but like many people, once I got to college I let exercising fall by the wayside while I partied and fit some classes in, haha. When I got out of school the damage had been done. I had started college at 115lbs and left at 165lbs. That was A LOT of weight gain!!! I guess I didn't even realize that I had become so out of shape until I moved to sunny San Diego. Everyone seemed to be in great shape and into being very active outside. So I decided I didn't want to be overweight anymore, and I joined the local gym and got a trainer. Within 3 months, I dropped down to 130lbs! I felt awesome!

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: Yes, I had done some weight training for swim team.

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and what made you decide to compete?
A: Well, I trained for about 4 years before I decided to compete. I really had no intention when I started weight training of ever doing a show. In San Diego, I had a lot of people tell me I had the right frame for Figure, but I though they were crazy. I was not ready to put in the time needed to do a show.
When I moved to New York, I started training at NYSC. After a few months of working out, I felt bored with what I was doing. I decided to get a trainer again and learn some new stuff and get some motivation back. I started training with a trainer at the gym that was an NPC Bodybuilder. He also told me from the start that I had the look and the frame for women's Figure. But again, I was not ready to even think about training for a show.
After a month or so of training with him, he invited me to go to his upcoming show, the NY Metro in 2007. I saw him win his class and win the Overall. This is when the show bug bit me... I still remember the energy and the excitement I had within me while watching the show. I knew that this was something I could do. SO that was it. I decided right then and there that I'd start figuring out when my first show would be. In June 0f 2007 we started training for the Eastern's which was in November 2007. Now obviously I didn't start dieting that far out, but I started eating clean and training in a different way. And I haven't looked back since!

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: Actually, my parents don't really like that I do this sport at all. They really don't think it's a real sport. My parents feel that we work so hard and diet like crazy for months and that in the end the judging really has nothing to do with our ability. This frustrates them, as it does many of us that partake in the sport. BUT, they are supportive; they have come to every single local show, they have helped with food when I've needed it, and they have been there with the emotional support that I needed along the way. I could not ask for a better family.

Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: I didn't know what to expect my first show. I just remember being totally scared and nervous. I literally was glued to my trainer the whole day. But in the end I placed 3rd in my class. Not to bad for a pretty big show!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*April 2010- Steve Stone Metropolitan- Class B- 2nd
*February 2010 Arnold Amateur- Class D- 8th
*July 2009- USA's- Class D- NP
*June 2009- Jr. Nationals- Class D- NP
*November 2008- Nationals- Class D- NP
*November 2008- Eastern USA's- Class B- 3rd
*June 2008- Connecticut Grand Prix- Class B 1st and Overall Winner
*June 2008- Connecticut State Championships- Class B- 1st and Overall Winner
*June 2008- Bev Francis Atlantic States- Class B- 2nd
*April 2008- New York Metropolitan- Class B 1st
*November 2007- Eastern USA's- Class B- 3rd


Q: What do you consider your best bodypart or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: I guess I would have to say my shoulders. A lot of people always say "I wish I had your shoulders!"

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train.
A: I do love to train shoulders, but I have to watch myself that I don't over train them. I actually have broken down my shoulder workouts into two different days, adding just 2-3 shoulder exercises to my leg training days.

Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: It depends.... At work I am in business attire so no one really can see what I look like. In the environment I work in it would not really be appropriate for anyone to say anything. People at work ask me about training but no one ever really says too much.

Q: When they see it for the first time, what is the one question you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Do you workout?" or "How much can you bench?"
It always amuses me that most men feel they need to tell me that they can probably lift more than me... to them, I say bring it on, meet you at the gym, and we will see who walks out. :-)

Q: Have you ever considered moving to bodybuilding?
A: Nope. I have not and will not move over to bodybuilding. Just not the look I want for myself. I have nothing against these women, and I do admire their dedication, but it doesn't fit my lifestyle and my goals.

Q: DO you have a favorite cheat food?
A: I am not really sure. I do love cake haha, and candy! But other than that, I never really crave anything crazy...

Q: DO you do any personal training yourself?
A: I don't have the time! I work on Wall Street. My hours are from 6:30am till 5pm. I can hardly get my own workouts in!! Time management is key in my life! If I had the time I am not sure I would want to train others. For me, training is what I do to relieve stress and concentrate on myself. If I started to share that time with others, it would not have the same effect for me.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would want to give her?
A: Make sure you are working with someone that is competent. ALSO don't believe everything you read or hear. Make sure you do your own research on everything before you jump into any kind of training. A smart person who has money in the stock market would NEVER put everything in one stock just because one person told them. They would research and decide for themselves what the right choices would be. Having guidance is one thing, but going blindly into anything in life is not a wise choice.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love hanging out with friends and family. I love reading. I also LOVE to go to any kind of sporting events! Football, baseball, boxing, but I hate basketball for some reason haha!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Jillian Reville.
A: While training it's a little crazy!
Wake up at 4:30am for cardio. Get to work by 6:30. Work on the trading desk till 4:30-5pm. Head to the gym to train and finish cardio. Home by 8:30pm. Shower, eat, cook if I have to, try to relax and head to bed by 10:30.

Q: Describe Jillian Reville in five words.
A: Dedicated, Determined, Driven, Reliable, and Self-Motivated.

Q: Any set plans for 2010 as far as competing or anything else.
A: I just competed at the Arnold Amateur! I placed 8th in my class, and was VERY happy with that!!! I am doing the Steven Stone Metropolitan in 2 weeks (April 3rd) (Jillian has since done this show and finished a very impressive 2nd in her class). After that will be team U and USA's in July. After than, we shall see!

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: If anyone needs an amazing trainer, that is supportive and very dedicated to his clients, I would contact PJ Braun www.pjbraun.com.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they contact you and what are they getting in Jillian Reville the athlete and competitor?
A: It would be great to be sponsored in any way! With supplements or suits or anything!
My email address is jillian_reville@yahoo.com
I am a dedicated person that puts 110% into everything that I do. I take my work and training very seriously. I feel that everything I do is a reflection of who I am as a person and how I was raised. If I believe in something or someone, I promote them and support them like I would do for myself.

Q: Jillian, again, I thank you for taking the time for this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thanks so much for this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment