Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Jaime Buffalari Interview





When someone has an impact on you for one reason or another, you will usually remember when you were first introduced to or made aware of them. SO I can tell you how I first came across Jaime Buffalari. A few years ago there was another bodybuilder I was a fan of. I went to a website that features clips and photos of female bodybuilders that had videos of this woman. While searching for them I came across a photo of a woman named Jaime Buffalari. I was in awe. It was just a picture of her upper body. I looked at more. Me being a guy, first thing I noticed was she was incredibly beautiful. For a long time fan of the sport, she was among the most beautiful I had seen. Then I looked at more photos and the physique was incredible. I looked up as much info on her as I could. Been a fan ever since. Then it seemed she had stopped competing and I never saw anything more on her. One day I was on Facebook, and for fun typed in her name and there she was. That other woman I originally was looking for, she turned out to be very stuck up and had an "I am special attitude". Jaime, is the total opposite. Jaime is a very nice woman. So nice, she has had to do this interview more than once because our email's seem to hate each other and we often have not gotten what we sent each other. But she did it again. There is more to look up to and admire in Jaime than just her physique. 8 Years as a U.S. Marine, serving in Iraq. She works with wounded Marines, as is simply a very cool person. Hopefully she may be competing again, but perhaps in Figure. Either way, Jaime will, if she does compete, show a lot of people who are newer to supporting the sport, what they were missing. To me, not matter where a judge places her, she will look amazing physique wise, and be the most beautiful woman on the stage. I have told her I am a fan, but what I have never told her is the reason I initially wanted to start bodybuilding is because of her and her photos. It took years after for me to get the motivation, and seeing her again on Facebook was part of why I got the motivation. If it sounds like I am kissing ass, well, maybe I am, but it is a warranted ass kissing. There are people I may talk to more, and know more than I know Jaime, and that push me, but Jaime Buffalari is the biggest reason I started on my journey. Jaime is amazing, and I am honored she said yes to doing this interview. So for those who don't know her, read this interview, and find out about her, you will be a fan too.




Q: First Jaime, thanks so much for taking the time to do this.
A: No problem. hopefully this one works. 12th time is a charm right? :)

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I am single but loving it, 30 years old. (soon to be 31, in 7 days.) I was born in Erie Pa, then moved to Ky, Kansas, Ohio before settling in Indiana. I have 1 older brother who is in South Carolina, my mom is back in Kentucky and father is back in Erie, Pa

Q: Before you started training, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: I have always been into sports. I was a major "tomboy" playing neighborhood football with my brother, dad and all the boys. To include basketball and soccer, volleyball and softball. I was the 1st girl in our high school to attempt to play football, which was more of a challenge because the coach didn't think females belonged on the football field.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I started lifting while conditioning for football. I remember my 1st max
squat was 180 as a sophomore in high school. I was soooo excited. I then did a weight lifting class, all the jocks had to take the class.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you saw result? A: I actually loved lifting weights, I was always pretty strong, so it was fairly easy. I didn't see results as far as definition but size and strength came easy. Not until I starting dieting for my 1st show did I see the definition.

Q: What made you decide to compete the first time?
A: I had met the bb coach for the Camp Pendleton team while overseas in Kuwait. He took a interest in me and we talked about joining the team when we got back stateside. We started lifting and I went to my 1st show April 3 2004, I loved it and decided to do my 1st show April 18th 2004(my birthday)



Q: Was the first one what you expected? Any memories of the show?
A: I had alot of fun, I loved training, dieting, seeing results. There were only two of us in novice at the Orange County Classic, but the reaction of the crowd is what I fell in love with. The cheers when I hit a rear lat was amazing. I had no idea they would respond to that. Loved it. They ended up calling us out to tell us who won and they gave me second, well the crowd started booing, it was my 1st I wasn't expecting to win, so I was ok with it. After we left stage they called us back out and they said they had made a mistake read the names wrong, so they gave me my 1st place trophy. It was an even better feeling.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported?
A: Everyone supported me, I think because they saw how good I became, dedicated I was, and how much I really enjoyed it.

Q: Did you know after the first one, that it was something you wanted to continue?
A: Without a doubt.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: I loved it so much my 1st year I did 5 shows. There were more ABA shows being in the Marine Corps, they wanted us to do All Natural Shows.
* April 18 2004 orange county classic- 1st
* May 1st ABA-Ms. Hollywood- 1st
* June ABA Vista show- 1st
* July ABA Natural Olympia - 3rd
* Sept Boarder States- 7th

2006-
* Golds Gym Classic- North Carolina- 2nd
* Eastern Seaboard -Georgia- 1st- qualified me for Nationals

2007
* Junior USA- South Carolina -3rd
* Nationals- Dallas, Texas- 9th

In between 2006 and 2007 I did a little powerlifitng RAW federations- I won some comps there hold some records still I think. :)


Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I like keeping everything the same for my 12 week prep.... all my meals besides breakfast.... the rest are the same. Makes it easy.... training 3 times a day. cardio and abs in the am, big muscle in the afternoon, smaller in the evening......

Q: What would you consider your best body part or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: Back is by far my best.

Q: DO you have a favorite part to train?
A: Legs and back

Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
Q: Positive.

Q: When they see it that firs time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Are you a bodybuilder?"

Q: Are there any misconceptions about female bodybuilders or anything you wish people understood?
A: We are not all lesbians.


Q: Do you think muscular women are becoming more accepted by society?
A: For sure, it's growing every year.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Frozen yogurt

Q: Any competitors you admire or are a fan of?
A: I have to give a shout out to Lisa Bickles, former Marine, my coach and friend.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Have fun. When it stops being fun then its time to do something else.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I boxed in the Corps and loved it. I started again with MMA/boxing back in 2007, love both. I want to start paddleboarding. pretty much anything that keeps me moving you can find me doing. I love extreme stuff, in 2007 I went skydiving over Namabia South Africa, amazing is an understatement. This year for my 31st I want to do something extreme, paragliding maybe.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Jaime Buffalari.
A: Up at 5am- cardio, work by 7:30, I work with Wounded Marines, done by 4:30, back to the gym to lift or roll. Bed by 9:30 if I'm lucky.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: United States marine for 8 years, served in Iraq. I went to culinary school, and loved it. I did EP (bodyguard) loved it. Planning on going back to school in Aug, Firefighter is my next endeavour....

Q: Describe Jaime Buffalari in Five words.
A: Just 5, ok. Driven, Dedicated, Motivated, Kind, and Independent.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I am tired of trying to catch up with the big girls. so I'm thinking maybe trying figure if I decide to compete. I was told after Nationals that I still have my femininity. never lose that.... it has stuck with me for along time. I love MMA, so I might look into that area before too long... watch out.... :)

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: I feel like I've been out of the game too long to plug... :) BodyWell has taken care of me, and has a great product line. PHARMAGENX as well.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors if? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Jaime Buffalari the athlete and competitor?
A: Sponsors are always great. Bodywell and pharmagenx have always taken care of me. When investing in Jaime Buffalari, you wont be disappointed.


Q: Jaime, again, thanks so much for doing this. Any last words before you go?
A: I would like to thank all my fans. Ive been out of the game since my divorce and have still managed to keep solid/supportive fans. The love I have for the sport and the fans are the only reasons to get back up on stage. So keep watching, you will see me again very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment