Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Competitors Edge by Vanessa Prebyl

A Weekly Blog By Nationally Ranked Bikini Competitor Vanessa Prebyl

Hello Everyone!!! :-)

My competition is this Saturday!!! Yay!! So this blog will be dedicated to something that has been on my mind for about the last month or so... FOOD. As I prepare for a show, I tend to become more creative with my meals. I would like to share some ideas that allow me to change-up the flavor/texture of my food without actually changing my recommended meal plan. Some of the variations I use to keep me liking my meals are as follows:

Yams: Even though my carbs are few and far between, when I am able to enjoy some yams, I love to makes yam chips. I have seen many recipes for yam chips; however, this is my version of the chips and how I enjoy them. First, I microwave a med/large size yam with skin still on for 8 minutes (after I have washed it of course). Once it is done in the microwave, I wrap the yam in aluminum foil and allow it to site on the counter for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes has passed, I unwrap the yam and cut it into 1/8 of an inch and lay the slices on a cookie sheet sprayed with PAM. Put in the oven at 425* and cook for about 30 minutes. I flip them once, but I always have my eye on them, just because I like them EXTRA CRISPY, but not burnt. Ha-ha, it is a fine line :-). Furthermore, if I pre-makes the yam chips I always heat them up in the toaster oven so that they remain crispy. My husband likes to flavor them when he eats them with cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice,or salt free garlic powder.

Tilapia: I try to spice up my white fish texturally by cooking the fish in the oven on a cookie sheet sprayed with PAM and sprinkle Mrs. Dash Table Blend. You can also put some lemon juice on the fish if you want your fish not too dry. However, for me, I actually like the jerky style fish. I know it may sound odd to overcook my fish; however, I can actually like the texture and to pull it apart with my hands. Usually, the fish is in the oven at 425* for 35 minutes. My husband has perfected this method of making tilapia jerk. He makes the best meals for me and I am so grateful to have a partner to help me make my meals, especially when I am this close to my show. Thank you Hubby!!! :-)

Protein Powder: One of my favorite meals! First I take 1 TBS of Peanut Butter, if it is in my meal plan at that time, in a small Tupperware container and microwave it for 30 seconds. Then, I take one scoop of protein powder (MRM's Dutch Chocolate) and put the scoop in the same Tupperware container with the peanut butter and mix it all up with 1 TBS of water. You should come out with a consistency of brownie batter. OH MY! Hands down my fav!!!! I feel like it is a cheat meal, but it is exactly what is on my meal plan. So yummy! PLEASE NOTE that the protein powder is suggested to be had with 8 oz. of water. Please make sure you drink a big glass before or after this meal.

If you have any additional questions, please post a comment to this blog. Also, if you would like to ask a question and don't want to ask it in a blog setting, feel free to email me at vanessaprebyl2000@yahoomail.com. I hope this information helps you as much as it has helped me.

Quote of the Week:
"I'm competitive with myself. I always try to push past my own borders."
- Tyra Banks

Talk to you all next week after my show! Emerald Cup, here I come :-). My next blog may be psoted on Thursday due to my traveling back from my show.

Much Love,
Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment