Wednesday, April 21, 2010

April Jamieson Jones Interview



How highly do I think of April Jamieson Jones? Just how much I bugged her to do an interview should answer that. April is the definition of why I do this blog. Obviously April is a very beautiful woman with an amazing physique. But she is also a super cool person to talk to In her first Figure show April took fourth place, which in itself is impressive. But what makes it more impressive is in 2004 weighing 175lbs, and in 2006 getting on stage and winning 4th place in a Figure show. April is proof of what hard work can produce and April is the type of person who makes me love the sport. April is going to be doing the Red River Classic in October, and I can not wait to follow her progress and am so excited to see how amazing she will look. And trust me, she will look amazing.




Q: First April, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: You're very welcome! It's my pleasure.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: Hmm...I'm horrible at this stuff! Let's see...I was born on February 25, 1982, about 2 months too early and very premature. I was originally due in April...now you can see where my name originated! It's original, I know! I have one older brother. My parents were married 16 years before I was born so growing up my friends always thought my parents were my grandparents, we laugh about it now but I wasn't laughing then!! I am originally from Florida but now live in Texas. I've been in Texas for almost 6 years, I moved here when I met my husband in 2004. I still get back to FL from time to time to visit my family and the AWESOME beaches!!

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: While I was growing up, I would always swim. I loved swimming. Then, as I got older, I really enjoyed playing volleyball.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I think even when I was younger, I knew I was going to have to watch my calories and really work at staying in shape. My family is overweight and I have seen them all go from thin and active to heavy and less active. I think that was what first started to motivate me. Then, in 2004, I met my husband. He was really into working out and it was a lifestyle for him. So, I started working out with him and made it a lifestyle too.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I feel I did...my body started responding very quickly. I went from a size 13 to a size 4 in 8 months. It was amazing and I was hooked!

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete?
A: When I decided to start competing, I had probably been working out for about 5 years.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: My family is super supportive!! My dad especially, he is just fascinated by the transformation from an off season look to contest day. I think I have lost friends over the years because they don't understand the sacrifices you have to make when it comes time to compete. Some people don't understand that I would rather be in the gym than going out.


Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: My first competition was so much better than I expected. I had heard from other competitors that sometimes the girls are mean but I had a great experience! I was surprised when they called my name for 4th place! I mean..in 2004, I was 175lbs and a size 13 and then it was 2006 and I was on stage in my first figure competition winning 4th place! I would have never thought I would be there!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*2006 John Sherman Classic 4th place Figure D
*2008 Texas State Championship Figure D

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I feel my back and my quads are my best body parts.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: Yes, LEGS! I love leg day!


Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I think most people are fascinated because they don't understand it. In most people's minds, figure is bodybuilding and bodybuilding means bulky. So, when people see me and I'm not "bulky" they're usually full of questions. There are a few people every once in a while who don't understand and don't want too, those people are usually negative.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women you train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I think the biggest misconception about women competing is that if a woman lifts weights then they will be bulky. Muscle is sexy!

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part of competing for me is getting on stage after all the hard work. I am a competitive person and always go to win but I love getting all dolled up and walking on stage feeling like a winner no matter what the judges think. When I was younger and people would call me fat, I would have never thought I would be competing in figure shows. It's kind of like a "look at me now" moment for me every time I walk on stage.
The worst part of competing for me is the time it takes to compete. I basically don't see my husband or my family/friends during the 5 months before a show unless they're in the gym with me. I feel like after a show, my husband and I have to re-connect because we're so used to spending little or no time together.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
One of my favorite competitors is Alli Moyer. She is always so driven and I love her physique. Every time I read a post of hers on FB or see a picture of her, it helps to re-motivate me when I'm getting tired or feel like just giving up that day. She has been an inspiration for me :o)
I also love Jenny Lynn and Trish Warren.



Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: I LOVE Pizza!!!! I am pretty sure I crave it every day of my life! Even when I'm not dieting for a show, I always want pizza. When my husband and I are training for the same show, I really appreciate him giving up his own cravings and ordering pizza! haha Poor guy, I'm sure he does it more than once over the 4.5 months! Sometimes I'll switch it up and crave Mexican, I love queso!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: I always tell girls to make sure they're ready for the commitment. It takes a lot of time and dedication to compete. I think people don't realize how much work goes into prep until they are in the middle of it. I try to give others a heads up on what to expect.

Q: Obviously you are beautiful. Is fitness modelling of interest to you? If so, how can a photographer contact you?
A: I do like to do photo shoots around contest time, really just to have the pictures as a way to see my progress from show to show. I like to see what improvements I have made and what I still need to improve on. Photographers can contact me at amjones0907@yahoo.com.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Outside of training?? I don't know how that feels LOL I don't have a lot of down time.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of April Jamieson Jones.
A: A typical day during contest prep:
5:30am: Wake up for Round 1 cardio
7:00am: Eat Meal#1
9:00am: Job
10:00am: Eat
1:00pm: Eat
4:00pm: Eat
6:30pm: Gym for weights and Round 2 cardio
7:00pm: Eat
9:00pm: Home
10:00pm: Eat
11:00pm: Go to Bed, just to get up the next morning and start it all over again!

The only thing that changes during my off season is the Round 2 cardio. I only do 1 cardio session in the offseason.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I'm a hopeless romantic. :o)

Q: Any favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician or anything?
A: I can't pick just one favorite TV Show. Hmmm...it's a tie between The Biggest Loser and 48 Hours Mystery.

Q: Describe April Jamieson Jones in five words.
A: Driven, Competitive, Thoughtful, Loving, and Goofy.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I am currently gearing up to start my contest prep for the Red River Classic in OK on Oct. 23rd.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: My husband and I have an online nutritional store opening soon..check back soon for details...

Q: April, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Jason, thank you so much for supporting and promoting Women's Bodybuilding, Fitness, Figure, and Bikini!!

No comments:

Post a Comment