Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Antonina Whaples 1st Competition Interview








Antonia Whaples just competed in her first Figure show, the NPC NC State Championships. She finished a very impressive 5th. She looked outstanding and I was very happy for her. She is young and has a lot of time left to achieve a lot of great things in the industry, and there is no doubt if she sticks with it, she will achieve those things. So her is my second interview with Antonina, and no doubt not the last you will see of her.




Q: Antonina, thanks for taking the time out to do a second interview.
A: Thanks again for allowing me to appear on your blog. I feel so honored to be included with this family of excellent athletes and to return as an official figure veteran!

Q: For those who may have missed the first interview, can you tell a little about yourself?
A: I am a senior at Wake Forest University busting my butt to graduate May 17th with two majors: one in philosophy and one in studio art. I plan on working as a personal trainer and artist post-graduation. I am a figure athlete looking to do big things and I'm extremely motivated!

Q: You just competed for the first time. Can you tell what show you did and how you did? What was it like for the first time?
A: I was probably crazy to go for a state-level show for my first competition, but I did figure class A in the NPC NC State Championships and placed 5th. I was extremely happy with my results, as I wasn't expecting to place at all (it being my first time), but was honored to when up against such a competitive group!

Q: Do you walk away saying "I am happy with how I looked" or "O.K., what do I have to do to win next time"
A: I walked away with both feelings. I was definitely happy with how I looked, especially for my first competition. However, I am also highly analytical and immediately began to size myself up for improvement. Being my first show I had little idea how I would "come in" and things were still very experimental with the diet, water loss, and dehydration. I am ready to take on the challenges for the next time!

Q: After pre-judging how were you feeling about your chances?
A: I knew that I wasn't looking "full" enough when I stepped on stage, but this was because I simply hadn't carbed up enough beforehand. This was one of those learning experiences. For the final show I was noticeably much fuller. Next time we will adjust this. I was honestly not thinking about placement until I stepped off stage. I had come into the show without expectations of winning anything, but as soon as pre-judging ended I wanted to place. I thought I didn't have a chance, but I was pleasantly surprised!

Q: For those who haven't seen, I saw a couple photos, you looked amazing. Were you satisfied with the overall package you brought to the stage?
A: You are so kind, Jason, and I appreciate this. As I've said, I was very pleased with what I had for my first time. I know I have a lot of work to put into my showmanship, but I was also impressed with myself for my initial attempt.

Q: What part of your physique would you say you were happiest with?
A: Definitely my v-taper, back, and abs. My back is my money-shot!

Q: Was there one aspect of your physique you thought could have been better or you want to improve on for next time?
A: Obviously there is always going to be room for improvement. Overall I need to work on my muscle density and adding some more slabs o' meat to my bones. I was very proportional, but I felt that my quads and arms were weak in comparison to other girls I was up against. I'll be contacting my judges to get a better idea of what I need to work on. I want the full cruel details.

Q: What was the best and hardest part of the whole prep process?
A: The best part was learning so much about myself and learning to let other people help me. I've always been a super independent person, so letting other people in to assist me was difficult, but worth it. I feel like I have a whole community of friends to thank for my success. The hardest part was carb depletion and having to write philosophy papers. I can't wait to never have to do that again!

Q: After a show like that, is it a mental let down at all, now that the process is over?
A: There is definitely a mental let-down, especially with the reaction my exhausted, dehydrated body had to food in general immediately after the show. I've jumped back on diet just to be able to function. I spent most of my Sunday afterwards crying and throwing up from my body rejecting basically all foods (clean ones too!). My hormones and body chemistry are all jacked up. Now I am trying to regroup and get ready for another battle. Like my boyfriend Jamey says, it's like I hit the top of a rollercoaster ride and now I have go down the peak to get to the next high. It's also weird to talk to other people about it that aren't in the industry. I'm just too tired to explain it all, even though I feel like I should be gushing about it.

Q: The week before a show like that, what are you thinking about? Nervous or excited, or what?
A: The week of I was unusually calm and utterly exhausted. All I could think about was this god-awful paper I have due and how-in-the-world was I going to get it done? I was watching the scale like a hawk to monitor my dehydration and being really excited about my progress. I was definitely nervous about my posing, as I hadn't gotten to practice much and never in front of an audience.

Q: How about those last 5 minutes before you hit the stage, what are you thinking about?
A: I was thinking "I'm just going to watch what the other girls do and mimic them", and "don't mess up your turn",and "this stomach cramp hurts so bad"and "I'm not carbed up enough."

Q: When you are on stage did you try and read the judges reactions at all or just focus on what you are doing?
A: During pre-judging I was definitely focused on what I was doing, but I made it a point to smile at the judges and make eye contact. During finals I was living it up onstage and working it for the audience. I watched the judges reactions during that part and got a better idea how they were measuring me up.

Q: What's the first thing you ate once it was over?
A: A piece of peanut butter chocolate cheese cake that Jamey bought for me and hid in my backstage cooler! It was delicious but my body ended up rejecting it. So sad!

Q: Was there any other competitors you noticed who really impressed you?
A: I was totally impressed by my competitor in class A who placed 3rd, Angie Hinson. She was super down-to-earth and talked to me a lot backstage. I had a lot of girls act caddy to me during the wait, but she was incredibly nice and has the most adorable daughter!

Q: Anyone you got to meet or see for the first time that you were excited about?
A: Meeting Angie was lots of fun, and it was also great to meet a fitNasti fan: Carrie Whitlow Keck, who won 3rd in her class in bodybuilding!

Q: Anything about the prep process that you can say you want to do different next time?
A: We know so much more about my body now that I've done one show that we're making lots of adjustments to my diet and program for this next show. I feel inspired to know who I am up against and now when I am in tough spots in prep I'll be able to imagine them to inspire me to try harder. I am going to be practicing my posing until I can literally do it in my sleep and know exactly what I look like to the judges.

Q: How important were your trainers in the whole process?
A: My trainers Jill Coleman (diet), and Kimberley Coronel (weight training) were essential to my process. The quality of my diet came out on stage and I trust Jill 100%. I never cheated on her plan and I was super pleased with my results. I know that this next show I will come in even leaner and fuller. I wouldn't be where I am at all without the creative genius of Kim. She has built my body rep by rep and is my rock. I am proud to say that she is both my trainer and friend, and one of my greatest inspirations. One of the biggest things that mattered to me show day was making her proud!

Q: Where does this show rank as the biggest achievements in your life?
A: I'd say that this was one of my greatest achievements. I think that many people who have not taken the time to hear my story or my progress understand what hell I've had to go through to stand on that stage. Placing was a blessing, honor, and affirmation of my extreme dedication. Even if no one else sees what I've done I can look at that trophy and know what a tough chick I am!

Q: Have you decided when you will be on stage next?
A: Yes, I plan on competing in the NPC Victory in the Valley show June 26th

Q: Anyone you want to thank for helping you in the process?
A: There are so many people to thank that there is no space to do them all justice. First there's obviously my trainers Jill and Kim, then my co-conspirator and greatest fan, Jamey. I am completely indebted to the WFU ZSR library for their continual support and understanding of my brain-dead lifestyle. Specifically, I owe a lot to Heather Gillette, who will never know just how much she's helped me. I am also blessed with a group of great figure/bikini girls under the Jillfit name who have become close supportive friends. On top of this I want to thank the fitNasti fan base for reading the blog and sending me emails. So many little emails got me through those last few rough patches.

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: I always love to promote my blog: fitnasti.blogspot.com
Soon I will have a personal website up and running for all sorts of fun things!
Once again everyone should check out Jill Coleman's "My Gym Trainer"books, especially the home edition which yours truly is featured in ;)
Another great book to check out is Jade and Keoni Teta's "The New ME Diet"it's amazing!

Q: Looking for any sponsors? If so what are they getting in Antonina Whapples the athlete and competitor?
A: As I've said before I would love a sponsor! What you get with Antonina Whaples is the fitNasti spirit. I'll never quit on myself and I'll always find a way. I am going places and I'd love to bring your company there with me! My dream company is Scivation because of their NC base and their quality product.

Q: Antonina, again, thanks for taking the time to do a second interview, and congrats on looking so amazing on stage. You are not just an interview, you are a friend, and I was so proud of how you looked. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you again for your kind words; it is always a pleasure to talk with you, Jason. I just wanted to say that I am ready to re-group, get my head in the game again, and aim for the stars. I've said it before: I'm going places and I'm excited to get there. I'll always be willing and ready to put forth the hard effort no matter what. I can't wait for my next show!

2 comments:

  1. Talking about real beauty... <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. finally some one has said it. a real woman is a woman who perfects her abs and glutes with long hours in the gym. and not on that uses her brain.

    ReplyDelete