Sunday, April 18, 2010

Andrea Giacomi Interview






If I were to make a list of the most underrated competitors, not only female, and not only in bodybuilding, but the entire fitness industry, Andrea Giacomi would be at the top of my list. Andrea started out in Figure, but decided she was too muscular for Figure. Andrea has built an amazing physique, and combined with being beautiful, she has an amazing stage presence. Another list I would put Andrea on, is a list of my personal favorites. That is why I was so happy when she said yes to doing an interview. Having this interview is one of the things I am most proud of since starting this blog, and now I get to share it with you. Andrea is taking 2010 off of competing, but will hopefully be back in 2011, and will no doubt be better than ever. So here you can get to know a little about her, and like me, anxiously await her return to the stage.




Q: First, Andrea, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this. You are one of my role models, so this is an honor.

A: Thank you Jason...it's great to be a part of something that you have created and supports female bodybuilders.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I'm 35 years old born & raised in California. I now live in NYC...been here for two years now. I have one younger brother. All my family lives in California.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Yes as a kid growing up I participated in most sports. Soccer, track, basketball, volleyball and even gymnastics. I was a total tomboy.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: It was my senior year in high school and at the time my mother was a personal trainer at the Gold's Gym. I would meet her there after school & we would train together. She taught me everything I needed to know about working out.


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Yes I picked it up fairly easy. When it came to sports and weight training it was natural for me. I started seeing results pretty fast which led me to continue in the gym and want more.

Q: Your first competition was the 2004 NPC S.F. Bodybuilding and Figure Championships, in which you actually competed in Figure. What made you decide to compete?
A: A friend of mine competed in a local figure show. I went with her to see what it was all about. I thought to myself "I can do that" Four months later I competed in my first figure comp.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: Yes they have always supported me & continue to do so. Timothy my fiance is my biggest supporter and my mother...she used to compete in bodybuilding herself.

Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: My first competition was a learning experience. It was what I expected and I was surprised to place 3rd. I have a tendency to underestimate myself sometimes.

Q: In 2008 you started competing in Bodybuilding at the N.J. Golds Classic. Why the switch to Bodybuilding?
A: Because I was always too muscular for figure and it got to the point where I was not having fun with doing quarter turns anymore.

Q: Is the prep for Figure and Bodybuilding pretty much similar, or any major differences?
A: Major differences. The training for bodybuilding is just the way I like. I get to train with weights. The training with figure was always backing off everything. I was trying to lose muscle so weight training was not a big priority. As far as the diet...the bodybuilding diet is harder because I have to come in so much leaner. Therefore it is alot stricter.

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Legs and shoulders

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love to train shoulders. Dumbell presses are my favorite exercise.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Off season training & pre contest training is the same for me except pre contest I do ALOT more cardio. Diet for off season I would say I eat about 70% clean. I have more carbs than normal and throw in some junk...I love my sweets! For contest prep I used Dave Palumbo for my last two shows and I was on the keto diet. It worked well and I will use him again for future comps.

Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: More positive. I love it when women come up to me and say "how do I get arms like that!" or when passing people tell me "you look awesome!"

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Damn baby, do you workout?" or "Damn I bet you can kick my ass!"

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female bodybuilders or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That dieting is hard. We love food too! Many think that dieting & being lean is a piece of cake. I struggle with food demons in my head just like alot of women out there.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: Best...seeing my body transform into this lean machine. I love it! Worst...going to bed hungry and trying to fall asleep.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I have physiques i admire...Athena Siganakis, Annie Rivieccio and Yaxeni Oriquen.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Ice cream and peanut butter & fluff sandwiches.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Do it and stick to it. Consistency is the biggest challenge but that is the key to results.

Q: You also have a great website. Can you give out the address and tell people what they can find there.
A: www.andreagiacomi.com You can find a gallery of photos and a blog I tend to update a few times a week about everyday stuff.

Q: You are obviously beautiful. Is fitness modeling something that interests you?
A: Thank You! Yes, its a great way to get your name/face out there and you can make some good money at it too.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Concerts, baking/cooking, spending time with family/friends and traveling!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Andrea Giacomi.
A: I wake up about 8am. Eat & drink my coffee. Check my emails and then head to the gym to train and do some cardio. Come home work on the computer and do my errands. I usually get to bed around 11-12.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I hate shopping!

Q: Describe Andrea Giacomi in five words
A: Stubborn, Goofy, Loyal, Down to earth, Adventurous


Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I'm not competing this year. Focusing 100% on moving back to California by the end of this summer. I'm hoping to compete again in 2011.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: You can find more about me at www.andreagiacomi.com or my facebook page at www.facebook.com/andreagiacomi.com

Q: Andrea, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thanks Jason for the interview, it was a pleasure ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment