Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sandy Wiedmeyer Interview






For those of you who may not know of Sandy Wiedmeyer, you should. She is a competitor, but does more than just compete. She is such an asset to the fitness industry. While you may not be familiar with her, perhaps you are aware of Iron Diva Fitness. You have seen it as a sponsor and seen people wearing their products. Well Sandy is the woman behind it. There are many beautiful different clothing items you can get there, and never will you hear a bad word said about them. So first read this and find out about the amazing woman, then head to www.irondivafitness.com and see the amazing products. And get ready because this year I think the package Sandy brings to the stage is going to be excellent.



Q: First Sandy, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Absolutely! I am so happy to talk with you!

Q: Can yous tart out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, those kinds of things.
A: I am a 37 year old happily married mother of two. I was a science teacher before my kids were born. I currently teach group fitness and am an entrepreneur. I currently live in the Midwest, but am a southerner at heart. I was born, raised, and spent the majority of my adult life in the south.

Q: Before you started training, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: LOL! I am actually not athletic! I love to train and I train hard, but I would never describe myself as athletic. I played tennis in high school, did some cheerleading, but that's about it. I admire all those fitness girls. I wish I could figure out how to do all the stuff that they do. You never know...I have learned to never say never!

Q: What led you into the gym to begin with?
A: My best friend is avid about fitness and she said she couldn't be friends with someone who doesn't work out! Sounds funny, but it got me to the gym and I never looked back!

Q: You just recently began competing. What made you decide to compete?
A: Yes, I competed in my first two figure competitions in the Spring of 09. I always admired the look of the figure girls. I saw it as a challenge, something I never thought I could do. I don't want to grow old full of regrets! I will never regret the decision to compete. I simply fell in love with it! I look forward to improving my physique and stepping back on stage in Spring 2010!

Q: Was the first one what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: One thing that I did not expect was for the girls to be so friendly. I kind of expected them to be caddy! But they were all very sweet and helpful. I am finding this to be true on many of the social networking sites as well. I think it is because we are a unique community with a passion and desire that many don't understand. I have really enjoyed the wonderful women that I have come into contact with.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at first, and how about now?
A: My husband has been supportive since the beginning. My kids are so cute. They talk a lot about muscles and working out. My 5 year old daughter will flex her muscles for me. It is so cute! They all came to my shows and it was really special to hear them cheering for "mommy."

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: I did 2 shows Spring 2009. NGA Heart of America was my first show and I placed 3rd in my class. Then I did the NANBF Great Northerns and placed 2nd in my class and 4th in Novice. I plan to compete in 2-3 shows this Spring.

Q: What do you consider your best bodypart or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: My abs have gotten a lot of compliments. They lean out fairly well when I diet. It is a relief that they will respond after having two kids!

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: Right now I am obsessed with shoulders. I know that I really need to bring them up and have been working really hard!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I am just finishing up building so I have been doing very little cardio. I also feel like I have been eating everything! LOL
When I go into contest prep, very soon, I will start to add in cardio and I cut back my calories. I continue to cut calories/carbs and add cardio as needed to get my body to respond.

Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common response? More positive or negative?
A: It has mostly been positive. They get very curious how it all works. They ask a lot of questions and I certainly don't mind. I am so glad that I decided to do this. I have really learned a lot about myself and have strengthened my body image. It has been such a positive experience!

Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question you are sick of hearing?
A: The only one I don't like is, "Why would you want to do that?" or "Why would you want to look like a guy?" They generally have no knowledge of the sport and just make assumptions. The people that ask those questions need to take a look at all the beautiful, sexy, and feminine competitors out there. They do not look like guys. Honestly, I don't think I could possibly look like a guy! My genetics have blessed me with very "womanly" hips:) LOL

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete?
A: Wow..the one I just mentioned is HUGE and also that we starve ourselves. Yes, I cut my calories, but I am constantly eating!! I am by no means starving!

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: There really are so many! I really love Jen Hendershotts energy and she is a sweet person at that. She truly wants to do for others and help women find balance in there lives. I also love Ava Cowan's look! She is simply gorgeous!

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part is the challenge. I love reaching for it and seeing what I can do. There is constantly room to improve so the challenge and goal setting never ends. I think we all always want to reach a little further, or why do it all?
The worst is the amount of cardio in the last couple of weeks. It flat out makes me tired. But, that is when I start to see some big changes and I get a lot of satisfaction out of it. Really in the end, it is all so worth it!

Q: Would you ever consider moving from figure to bodybuilding?
A: I am just struggling to get bigger for figure! LOL But, no, I don't think that bodybuilding is in my future. I have tremendous respect for those ladies, but I am so happy with what I am doing right now!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Anything chocolate!! I have to keep chocolate bars out of the house because I find myself digging them in the natural peanut butter jar and shoveling them in my mouth when no one is looking!:)

Q: If a woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Don't overdue it. Make it manageable so that you will stick with it for the long haul. In group fitness I have seen so many people come and go. They jump in with both feet and get frustrated when they start to get burnt out, then they decide to quit all together!

Q: Lets talk about Iron Diva Fitness. Can you tell what it is, where they can learn more, anything about it at all?
A: Iron Diva Fitness carries FeD Brazilian fitness wear, along with accessories and competition shoes. The FeD Brazilian line is an original line of fitness wear. I designed the pieces so that they are unique and fun to wear. We are really hoping to reach out to women in the community and inspire them to reach their goals. Beauty in Strength is our motto. Strength being physical, mental, or emotional.
We are kicking off the New Year with a free Competition Informational Meeting. This is to help ladies get information about competing. I have run into so many women who are interested in getting into the sport, but have no idea where to start. More information about the meeting and all our products can be found at www.IronDivaFitness.com.

Q: What got you interested in doing clothing like that?
A: An appreciation for quality. I love Brazilian Supplex and how it wears and washes. I have found it to be far superior to anything else out there.

Q: Outside of training and the Iron Diva Fitness, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Between training, the new business, my husband, and my kids, I don't have too much time left!! For now I think that is about all I can handle. I am lucky when I get some down time to get some reading in!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Sandy Wiedmeyer.
A: Like most women, I wake early to get the kids off to school. My days then consist of the gym (training and teaching), running errands, laundry, cleaning, setting time aside for the business, and running kids to after school activities. No one day is ever them same! Quite the adventure! LOL

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A; Hmm. I am not very mysterious. But I have an identical twin sister and am a PhD dropout (long story).

Q: Describe Sandy Wiedmeyer in five words.
A: Easy-going, Hard-working, Determined, Driven, Friendly

Q: Any set plans for 2010 as far as competing or anything else?
A: Iron Diva Fitness is sponsoring the NPC Mid-States show in Ottawa, Illinois April 3rd. My first competition is INBF in Sheboygan, WI April 10th. I will also compete in the NGA Heart of America competition again this year. It was a wonderful show and the promoter is so passionate. I may also do an NPC show this Spring.

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: Absolutely! Check out www.IronDivaFitness.com We have a lot of great things to offer and are really striving to give back to the community!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they contact you and what are they getting in Sandy Wiedmeyer the athlete and competitor?
A: Aren't we all! LOL I really think that I represent the average American woman. Most women can relate to me. I started fitness later in life after having my two kids. I am proof that it can be done. Anyone can contact me at IronDivaFitness@msn.com.

Q: Sandy, again, I want to thank you for taking the time for this. Any last words before you go?
A: I just want to take a moment to say thank you for giving back and giving us all an outlet for sharing!

1 comment:

  1. Sandy my partner in crime.....WAY to go girl...GREAT interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete