Sunday, February 7, 2010

IFBB Pro Marie Ann Newman Interview







I have said in many interviews, that the person is someone you just have to root for. That may apply to Marie Ann Newman more than anyone. Marie Ann is someone I really have admired for some time. I somehow, never found her on Facebook. I eventually did, asked her to do an interview, and she agreed. Within the first message or two I told her of my goals, and she was encouraging and helpful. You can tell Marie Ann has a heart of gold. But that is not the only reason to root for her. There are many other reasons. Marie Ann loves the industry, that is obvious. She has worked hard to get where she is, and that was made evident when at the 2009 Masters Nationals she was awarded her IFBB Pro card. I am sure we have not seen her even reach her full potential yet either. She is the definition of hard work and dedication. Runs two business's, has an Internet radio show, and yet still has time to develop one of the bet physiques in Figure. I will tell you this much, If I owned a company and I sponsored competitors, Marie Ann Newman would be someone I would call in a hurry. Don't forget to find out more on this beautiful amazing woman at www.marieannnewman.com


Q: First, Marie Ann, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I am originally from California, but ended up in South Carolina about 15 years ago. I met my husband about 12 years ago, and we have been inseparable ever since. I am a hair stylist/color expert and I co-own Svengalis Salon where I work. I started out competing in Bodybuilding in 1994. Then I went to Fitness because I was tall and lean and felt that Fitness was a better fit for my body. I did well in fitness, but decided that finding a career was more important, so I retired, so to speak. Then, after i found my career and my husband, I began seeing the Figure girls in the magazines and thought that I might be able to do that. My first Figure show was in 2006 and I won my class. I kept competing and refining my physique and eventually won the 2009 Masters National Championship and earned my IFBB Pro status. The rest is yet to be written. :-)

Q: Before the gym, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I have always been an athlete. I love to play just about any sport there is. Of course I do not get to do that very much anymore. I am a hair stylist so I have to be careful with my hands, so no more softball, football, etc.... My husband and I still like to play golf, go cycling, and basically stay active, but not a lot of sports anymore.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I was always a tomboy and played every sport that I could find. I also liked being around the boys, so that naturally led me to the weight room. I loved it from the first minute I ever lifted a weight.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: The desire and mental aspects came easy, but the muscle did not. I always had pretty good genetics as far as shape goes, but I have had to bust my butt to get any muscle. My husband Jim is my trainer/nutritionist and he has taught me what I need to do to put on muscle.

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and what made you decide to compete?
A: I had been lifting for a couple years but not super serious. I was around a lot of people who were in shape and just decided that it looked like fun.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: In the begging, no. My dad did not understand it, but now, I have the best support in the world. Jim is my biggest supporter and fan. He also kicks my butt when I need it.

Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: No real surprises. I loved it. I like performing and being in front of people, so it was a good fit.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Oh gosh, let's just look at the last two years:
2008
NPC Pittsburgh- 3rd Class B and 1st Masters Class B and Overall Champion
Jr. USA- 3rd Class E
Masters Nationals- 5th Class E
North American- 1st Class D and 2nd Masters Class C
Team Universe- 3rd Class D
Nationals- 2nd Class D
2009
Jr. USA- 2nd Class D
Jr. Nationals- 2nd Class D
Masters Nationals- 1st Class D Overall Champion (Earned IFBB Pro Card)
Atlantic City Pro 4th Masters Division and 6th Open Division (Pro Debut)
Ft. Lauderdale Pro- 8th

Q: What did it mean to you to earn your IFBB Pro Card and be recognized as one of the Elite at what you do?
A: It was FANTASTIC!!! I had been so close for so many shows that it was such a relief along with feeling like I had really accomplished something.

Q: What do you consider your best bodypart or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: My legs

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: I really like training in general. If I had to pick a favorite it would have to be shoulders. I Figure girl has got to have those shoulders.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I train 4 days a week with weights. That is really more determined by my work schedule than anything else. I usually eat 6 times a day off season and before a show. When it gets closer to a show I add a good bit more cardio and just clean up my calories.When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: It is almost always positive. I get the usual, "I bet you workout everyday" or "I bet you spend all day in the gym". They are always surprised to hear how little I actually am in the gym.

Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I hear "I bet you eat like a bird."- Oh if they only knew I could eat more than their entire family.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the thing you wish people understood?
A: See the previous two questions. :-)

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: Eating cold fish on the drive to the show is the absolute worst
The best is all the friends that I get to see and the new ones that I get to make, and also being able to share the whole experience with Jim.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors, or any you admire?
A: Oh, I have a ton. There have been a lot of women that I have looked up to along the way, and there are countless ladies that I have met on this journey that will be my friend and inspire me for the rest of my life.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat meal?
A: Sandwich and chips!!! MMMMMMMMMMM
I also love a good steak!!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Hire a good trainer so she can learn how to do things properly and save a lot of time.

Q: You also have a great website. Can you give out the address and tell people what they can find there?
A: My website is www.marieannneman.com. I have a lot of info there about me, news about whats going on in my life, info concerning our contest prep business, photos for sale, and some photos of me and my friends. Also, please check out our personal training/contest prep website at www.customfitness4you.com.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love sports. I do not get to play like I used to, but I still love it. Jim and I play golf, ride our bikes, and a lot of cross training type workouts.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Marie Ann Newman.
A: Well I am 10 weeks out from my first show of the year, so I normally get up at 5:00am and do my cardio for 45 minutes or so. Eat breakfast and get ready to go to work. After work I either go to the gym and train or come home and do my second round of cardio. Do my paperwork, spend as much time with my husband and our dog Tango as I can and then it is off to bed.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Gosh, I have no idea. I love animals, especially dogs. I love to laugh.

Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician?
A: This may be the hardest question yet. I do not know that I ahve a favorite in any of these categories. I like a lot of acotrs/actresses. I lvoe to laugh so I really like comedies, but I also love action, so I like a lot of action movies. I am not a fan of horror movies at all. As far as TV goes, right now I really like Fringe, Burn Notice, and Sports Center.LOL> I like a lot of different musics, from old dance music to classic rock.

Q: Describe Marie Ann Newman in five words.
A: Intense, Driven, Busy, Faithful, and Silly.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I am currently getting ready for the Europa Supershow in Orlando in April. I will be working the Tight Curves booth at the Arnold Classic, so please come by and see me. I am also planning on competing at the Pittsburgh Pro show in May. Then we will see after that. I am sure I will compete at a couple of other shows this year, but I will wait and see how the first two go and make some decisions then.
I am also set to begin filming a DVD in February. The DVD will be about Training, Nutrition, and Posing. It is designed to be for the newer Figure and or Fitness competitors, but it will also have enough training and nutrition info in it to appeal to everyday women who would like to get in shape, lose weight, and feel better.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Everything that I just mentioned and that I also have my own Internet radio show called "Mo Knows Fitness Show". I interview industry stars, along with local competitors and promoters. We have a great time. You can get a link to my interviews from my website as well as the custom fitness website. We also post links on Facebook and Twitter, so send me a friend request or follow me and you will see the links.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they reach you and what are they getting in Marie Ann Newman the athlete and competitor?
A: Of course, we are all looking for sponsors! They can reach me through my website at www.marieannnewman.com. One thing that I would like for a potential sponsor to realize is that I am an experienced business woman. I run two very successful businesses and I realize the importance of customer service and professionalism. I am a little bit older than a lot of the girls out there and I think that helps me connect with a very large segment of the population that is very interested in fitness and health.

Q: Marie Ann, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: I would just like to thank you, Jason, for affording us athletes a platform to allow your readers to get to know us a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment