Saturday, February 13, 2010

Debbie Fowler Interview





How do you not love Debbie Fowler. At first glance you see a beautiful woman who has worked hard to achieve a great physique. Then you get to know her and find she is an inspiring, motivational, and encouraging woman. Always has something nice to say and has encouraged me with my training. She didn't start competing till age 40 (after given birth to 6 babies), and looks better now then most women half her age. She balances a job, children, and other things, and still has time to look as good as she does. Debbie is the kind of person that makes you feel good about following and being in the fitness industry.




Q: First, Debbie, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: It's my pleasure. Thanks for asking me.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I grew up in Pleasanton, California and I currently live in Fort Worth, Texas. I've been married to an officer in the Air Force for 15 years and we have three kids. We've lived in Alaska, Texas, North Carolina, and California.

Q: Before fitness, were you an athletic person? Play any sports?
A: I played soccer as a kid and was a competitive gymnast for 15 years. I also did the cheerleading thing.

Q: What led you into the gym and training?
A: I've always tried to keep fit but after being a surrogate for my dear friend and carrying her triplets, I finally hired a personal trainer. That was my first serious exposure to weight training.

Q: Was it something you picked up fairly quickly? How long before you saw results?
A: Lifting was easy because I really enjoy it. With the shape my body was in after having 6 kids, results came pretty quickly.

Q: How long before you decided to compete and what made you decide to compete?
A: I decided to compete 4 years later. I had a phenomenal trainer named Laura Boisacq in Alaska and she told me about a local show. I watched and decided that was something I wanted to try. I did my first show for my 40th birthday.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at first, and how about now?
A: That's a hard question for me to answer because my friends and my children support me 100%. My husband just doesn't get it.

Q: Was the first contest what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: I didn't really know what I was doing, but I met some great people and it fueled a fire in me.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*2006- Alaska State- Masters Figure- 2nd
*2006- WA Ironman- Masters Figure- 3rd
*2007- All Forces- Figure B- 3rd
*2007- Pacific Naturals- Figure B- 3rd, 35+- 1st
*2008- Fitness A- 2nd
*2008- Masters Figure- 10th
*2008- Texas State- Fitness- 3rd
*2009- Ronnie Coleman- Fitness- 2nd
*2009- Texas State- Fitness- 2nd

Q: Do you have any competitors you admire or are a fan of?
A: Adela Garcia, Stacy Hylton, Jen Henderschoot, and Erin Riley.

Q: What do you consider your best bodypart or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: Probably my back.

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love to train shoulders. Just Youtube Erin Riley training shoulders.

Q: When people see or hear you train and compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: It's mostly positive. They usually say "I could never do that." "people would love to look like you, but they don't want to put in the effort."

Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question you are sick of hearing?
A: "how can you stick to the diet?"

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete?
A: That if you lift a lot of weights you will look like a man or that we all take drugs.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part is personal satisfaction. Being able to push though the pain and get results. This is a very personal sport. Worst part??? Off season weight gain.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Any cookie, any time.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Take it slow, you don't get results overnight. Be persistent and don't give up.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I really enjoy watching my kids different sport activities. My oldest is an excellent mile runner, my daughter is a shot put champion and cheerleader ( what a combination), and my youngest is a beast on the football field. I love to read if I have time.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Debbie Fowler.
A: Get the kids up and off to school, do some cardio, run errands, back to the gym for weights or routine practice, kids get home and it's homework time, run kids to whatever sport practice they have, more cardio if it's close to show time, cook any food I will need, somewhere in there I feed the family and try to sell real estate.

Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician?
A: Gotta love Will Ferrell and Ben Stiller! I will watch Valley Girls and Fast Times At Ridgemont High any time. I love Two and a Half Men and I used to follow the Grateful Dead around.

Q: Describe Debbie Fowler in five words.
A: Wife, Mother, Loyal, Determined, and Happy.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I followed the Grateful Dead around.

Q: Have you or would you ever consider another part of competing, such as Figure?
A: I've done Figure, and I'm much more suited for Fitness. I would like to judge someday.

Q: Any set plans for 2010 as far as competing or anything else?
A: Going to start with the Emerald Cup and then go National. Right now I'm trying to get through fifth grade math with my youngest. My oldest son will be a senior next year so I will get to deal with the whole college thing with him (hopefully he gets a scholarship) and my daughter will be starting high school, so that should be lots of fun!

Q: Anything you want to take the time to plug or promote?
A: Skye Fisher just started a Fit Physiques Fight Cancer non profit organization. www.fitphysiquesfc.com

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they contact you, and what are they getting in Debbie Fowler the athlete and competitor?
A: I would love a sponsor! You can email me at fowler6368@att.net. I would love to inspire the over 40 moms who just don't think they can get fit. Look at me, I've given birth to 6 babies and I did it! And so can they!!

Q: Debbie, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thanks so much for chatting with me. I'll be seeing you on stage in a few short months!

No comments:

Post a Comment