Thursday, January 7, 2010

Kelly Hess Dobbins Interview

Kelly Hess Dobbins is someone everyone in bodybuilding is familiar with. Usually you see a bodybuilder and you can say a certain body part is their obvious strength. Not with Kelly. She has in my opinion one of the best and most symmetrical bodies in the sport. Never will you see a flaw. Kelly is proof of what a lot of hard work and dedication can produce. She looks better now than she ever has, and she has always looked phenomenal. I am very honored to now give you the Kelly Hess Dobbins interview


Q: First, Kelly, I want to thank you for taking the time out to do this.
A: My Pleasure!!!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I'm from a tiny little town in Oregon called Albany. I was raised on a farm, it's beautiful there...We had big fields of peppermint, I can still smell it :)

Q: Before bodybuilding where you an especially active or athletic person?
A: If I was athletic I hadn't discovered it, I think it was deep down waiting to come out.

Q: What initially got you into the gym, and was bodybuilding the goal right from the start?
A: My brother was a professional boxer so I was raised in the gyms and boxing clubs at a very early age. It wasn't until I was in my late teens that I started working out just to stay in shape and I loved what it was doing to my body. The owner suggested I enter a Bodybuilding contest and that stuck in my head for years to come. When I was in my mid 20's I finally did and won and it just continued from there.

Q: Was it something you picked up fairly quickly? How long before you started to see results?
A: Well I saw mini results fairly soon but it wasn't until I moved to California and started working at Gold's gym and learned how to train the right way, then I started seeing results. The real results came when my Rick Dobbins started training me and then KAPOW!!!!

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and what made you decide to compete?
A: I trained a good 5 or 6 yrs. before I decided to compete.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: My family has always been very supportive!! Now is the best time of my life. Hubby is my pillar of strength!

Q: Was the first contest what you expected, or did anything surprise you?
A: I was blown away! I won my class and overall! Gave me that kick in the A** to keep going. What a rush that was!!!

Q: Can you share your contest history
A: Geez. I've been competing for 20 yrs. that would take a while. I started in the AAU Federation, that's how far I go back. NPC. I've won everything in Northern Cal. When I went National Level I've placed 3rd and 5th at the USA's. I just did the Nationals in Florida and looked the best I've ever looked and didn't place well. That was a disappointment but makes me want to work harder!

Q: I personally think you have one of the best and most symmetrical physiques in the sport. What do you feel is your best body part or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: Thank You!! Very sweet. My legs are my best asset. I get compliments on those a lot! So I love to show those off as much as I can :)

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: Legs and Chest. love it love it love it!!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I train 1 body part a week and I blast the hell out of them. Day # 1 legs, Day #2 Chest/tris, Day #3 Back/Bis, Day #4 Shoulders, abs & calves. Cardio 45 min every morning. Contest is more cardio and closer to contest the weight changes on my workouts to lighter, higher reps.


Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common reaction. more positive or negative?
A: Always Positive, I've been blessed! You have a beautiful body they say. For me, it's never good enough :) If it was I would stop, I think that's what keeps me going.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Do you workout???"

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female bodybuilders or something you wish people understood?
A: How hard we work and how expensive it is. That we do it because we love it. Every time I compete I always say "this is the last time" but then I'm up on stage again!

Q: Do you feel muscular women are more or less accepted by society today than five years ago?
A: Hmm... I think more

Q: One of the reasons I started this is because of the unfair difference in coverage and respect between men and women bodybuilders. How annoying is it to work just as hard as men and not get near the credit?
A: That doesn't really bother me, I focus on what I'm doing. It's what I get out of it that matters to me and that's a lot of pleasure and happiness.

Q: Do you ever see that changing, and what will it take to change it?
A: I don't see it changing. Again, I'm focusing on the positive.

Q: Do you have any favorite bodybuilders or any you admire?
A: I admire all women who compete, they work so hard and they are all beautiful to me!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start bodybuilding, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Train smart and stay healthy and it doesn't matter what others think, do what you love!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Mexican food and Red wine!

Q: You are also a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. What got you interested in BJJ and how long have you been doing that?
A: About 10 yrs. I love it!!!! I did a few classes and I was hooked! The academy is my second family.

Q: Are there any similarities in training BJJ and bodybuilding?
A: None!!! The do not complement each other at all. In fact I have to stop training BJJ about 4 months before contest. It's over training and it's hard to keep my size with all the intense training. I really miss it a lot when I don't go.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Cooking, traveling, reading and just relaxing by the fire with a great glass of wine.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Kelly Hess Dobbins.
A: Get up at 4am, do my cardio, work and then train. Come home and make a fabulous dinner and check email, spend time with my hubby relaxing. I always end with a hot bath and some more wine.

Q: What is one thing about you that people would be surprised to know?
A: Not to many secrets but a lot of people tell me how easy I am to be around.

Q: Describe Kelly Hess Dobbins in five words.
A: Giving, Smart, Obsessive, Caring, Fastidious.

Q: Any set plans for 2010 as far as competing or any other projects?
A: USA's in July

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: Rick Dobbins, Mike Eckstut and Tre Scott for all the great photography and for letting me stay at Muscle Mansion, thanks!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they contact you and what are they getting in Kelly Hess Dobbins the athlete and competitor?
A: Yes, That's always been a dream of mine! They will get someone who respects the sport and will represent them in a very professional way.I can be contacted by email at kflexr1@gmail.com

Q: Kelly again, I thank you for doing this. It really is an honor for me. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you for giving me this opportunity and I want to thank all my fans out there, that's one reason why I keep coming back, I love all of you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment