Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Brains and Biceps by Laura Kline

Brains & Biceps

A Weekly Column By Laura Kline, BSN-RN and future NPC Figure Competitor

Better WITH Age

As many of you know many bodybuilding, fitness & figure competitors are not only in their 20’s. Some of them are in their 30’s, 40’s and even 50’s! How awesome is that? To know that I have entered into a world where not only young women are successful but those that are 10 or 15 years older than me is very endearing. Society’s norms tell us that we need to always look young, that being young is the ideal and that aging is ugly. Well how many of those people that are telling us how we should appear are over the age of 40 and have 6 pack abs or shoulders that scream STRENGTH!? Not many if any at all.

The fitness industry welcomes everyone, no matter what your age. I went to a few shows last year and saw men in their 70’s competing! Whoa! What an experience. What an inspiration for young men to know that if they stick with taking care of themselves correctly then even when they are 70 they can have the opportunity to showcase their accomplishments! Same goes for women, I love the fact that I see women old enough to be my mother (and older!) strutting their stuff on stage and winning awards! These women are so inspiring and amazing because not only have they dedicated their lives to their health and their goals but many are maintaining their marriages and families in the meantime. That goes to show everyone who use their families or significant other as an excuse to not being able to be in shape or be healthy that it is attainable! Prioritize and manage your time, cook your meals in advance & try new recipes that are clean and healthy for the whole family! And don’t forget to hit up that gym!

When I first decided that I wanted to be a figure competitor I immediately decided I wanted my pro card. I kept on telling myself that in 2010 I will go pro no matter what. Then I remembered, or better yet was reminded by an awesome person, why I was doing this! The training, the sweat, the diet, the sweet sweet feeling of growing! I am doing this for me, for my body and for everyone out there that ever had a dream to do something amazing! Yes I would LOVE to achieve being awarded a pro card this year, but is it the number one reason why I am doing all of this work? No. This is only the beginning of my future as a figure competitor and as an inspiration to all others who dream BIG! I have plenty of years to get that pro card and eventually it will happen (and it will be so awesome!)!!

Bottom line this week, get started now. Right this very second make the decision to make yourself a better you! Don’t make excuses or say “I will start tomorrow.” There is no better time than the present to start working towards your goals and dreams whether they are big or small. Everyday is an opportunity to start fresh and make the best decisions for your health. I believe in YOU!!

“Procrastination is the grave in which opportunity is buried.”

No comments:

Post a Comment